Max boost?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Max boost?

Post by Tommio RS »

Ok. I have been dieing to know this for some time now.

How much boost can the stock motor take before it lets go? And when i mean stock i mean you did nothing to the bottem end, nothing to the valve train, you didnt swap the cams and heads. I mean nothing! All you did was a intercooler, injector, turbo swap, ecu. How much could you run with a setup like that before melt down?

Thanks!

PS. I have hurd 20psi but not sure about that. Anyone to back me up??
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Cummins, 28psi
FastRust
wfoote
In Neutral

Post by wfoote »

The cummins turbo may take a while to spool up, but when it does WOW!

More to the point, your question is how much boost? I think a more appropriate question would be "how long"..
84 GL Wagon - sold
84 DL Wagon - sold
92 L Wagon - sold
96 LS Wagon
93 SS daily driver
1946 BC-12D Taylorcraft restoration (airplane)
Me - retired engineer and pilot / flight instructor
juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

with a properly tuned setup its not the boost pressure that will kill the motor, it's hp.

if stock honda motors make upwards of 400hp on stock bottom ends i wouldnt be surprised to see stock 5-600hp subie on a good tune..but what do i know!
Summer Fun = 1991 Civic Si Turbo
Winter Fun = 1991 Legacy Sport Sedan
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Hmmm. So its more about having a good tune than anything else. Makes sense to me! So what are some of your guy running for boost?
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

cummins, 28psi!

Damm 6500rpm redline!
FastRust
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Do some searching about a guy named Xypher, he was running around 28psi on a stock block - albeit he bought a brand new block from Subaru to run. He ran 28psi on his daily for a long time. I think he has since upgraded to a EJ257 block nowadays.

The man also knew his stuff and had it set up right.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

Wedge over on RS25 ran a EJ22T shortblock for years at 22lbs before it let go. I'm 90% sure his internals were stock EJ22T. I know the con rods were because thats what went when it finally did pop. Put a rod through the top/side of the engine. From what I understand the EJ22T rods are the weakest part of the internals but they will still take some abuse. I've got '22T rods and crankshaft in my EJ25 hybrid engine and I just started running 11lbs (up from 8lbs).
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Ok cool! So i can run a fair bit of boost without killin it.
I just want around 20ish. So nothing like 28! Thats nutty.

Sweet
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

impreza_GC8 wrote:Wedge over on RS25 ran a EJ22T shortblock for years at 22lbs before it let go. I'm 90% sure his internals were stock EJ22T. I know the con rods were because thats what went when it finally did pop. Put a rod through the top/side of the engine. From what I understand the EJ22T rods are the weakest part of the internals but they will still take some abuse. I've got '22T rods and crankshaft in my EJ25 hybrid engine and I just started running 11lbs (up from 8lbs).
He had Wiseco pistons & stock rods on that car.
ej22t rods are the same as any set of 1.8, 2.0, & 2.2 rods - nothing great there

As far as how much boost its all relative as a given boost level from a VF11 is not the same as that boost level from a GT35R since the bigger turbos flow more CFM of air @ a given pressure level...
I suggest you take it easy & increase boost slowly to make sure the rest of your set-up can handle the increased boost levels.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Boost really doesn't matter, as was said before. How much air you are getting into the engine and how much cylinder pressure you are creating is what does matter, aka hp or torque. The turbo is going to be the biggest factor, with the stock heads being next in line.

If you have a much larger turbo and the capability to control it, the heads are going to become a major bottleneck. It took 21psi out of GT2871R for me to make 300whp with stock heads and delta cams. I think Phil's old car ended up making 378 whp or something like that on a stock longblock and a 50 trim. That was with a 3:1 ratio of pump gas to 100 octane, iirc.

If your turbo can support a high enough pressure ratio and you can control your fuel and timing, then go for it.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

So really my max boost question is really about, how well of a setup i create. My parts that i have ready to rock are as followed:

Vf39
04Sti injectors
Cobb/Lsp TBE

Parts that i plan to get:
AWIC. All i do is city drive.
Revtronix ecu management stage 3 or X
Fuel pump of some sort

Thats the major parts to my creation i want. So basically i just want this setup to be as effective a humanly possiable. And i dont think ill need to get the boost over 20psi to make this setup hot!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You probably do not want to push a VF39 over 20psi anyways. I can't find a real compressor map for it as IHI seems to not want to give that data out. I did find this, but it is a joke without any efficiency islands or compressor speed lines. http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_RHE-RHF.htm

I seriously suggest you spend the extra couple hundred bux on a wideband. Not knowing what is going on in your engine is like dancing with the devil.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Wooo wooo. Wideband? What be that? A wideband 02 sensor?