mods to rallycross a 92 na L awd sedan?

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ou812
In Neutral

mods to rallycross a 92 na L awd sedan?

Post by ou812 »

Hey all,
I have never rallycrossed, but aspire to do so sometime. So far I have only messed around briefly with my beater L awd sedan, by adding Outback struts and springs (lifted) and modding the airbox. The car runs well, and I beat on it regularly (see the pics and videos section...lol). However, wondered what I would have to do to it to get more performance from the engine, and suspension?

Like I mentioned, the car is a 92 auto trans, awd, na. It has no muffler on it (straight pipe, I think the cat/cats are still there), a drilled out stock airbox, and lifted up. I put some old Goodyear Ultra Grip mud and snow tires on it, that seem to do ok offroad. Anything I could do to give it some more pep, on and off road? I dont plan to daily drive this bomb, but dont want to compromise too much roadworthyness either......any weight reduction I can do? The only thing I have done there, is yank the ac condensor, lines, and compressor.

thanks,
Jeff
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

The suspension and tires would take you out of the 'stock' class, so you might as well mod it for the next class up.
Under SCCA rallycross rules that'd be the 'rally prepared' class. Allowed modifications include:
any sway bars
any brakes
exhaust from cyl head back as long as it exits the bodywork to the rear of the driver and contains at least one functioning catalytic converter
intake systems upstream of the throttle body may be removed or modified (with the exception being the addition of forced induction to a car not originally equipped as such)
strut tower bars are permitted
any dampers may be used as long as they mount in the original position w/ unmodified mounting points
springs may be changed
threaded collars and camber plates are allowed
engine controls may be modified or piggybacked but not replaced

So, in your case I'd start w/ larger swaybars (especially the rear), better brake pads and maybe lines, and strut tower bars. The rules don't state anything about aftermarket cams, so that'd be a place to look for a little more power.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Burnera
In Neutral

Post by Burnera »

You can be competitive with a stock L actually.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

maybe see if you can come up with some way to lock it in second when you need to, if you need to. i heard you can unplug the TCU(big maybe)
put a switch on duty solenoid c for 4x4
maybe weld the rear
skid plate and flaps
find some take off rally tires if you want to run prepared
honestly id put it back on stock height struts unless your courses get really bad ruts. then run wagon rear springs(190lb) and wrx fronts(163) no front bar, as big a rear bar as you can find. if your struts are blown definitely change them.
as far as gutting it just depends on how hard core you want to get with it. trunk lid and hood you could cut them up and just run the skins with hood pins, that should be good for quite a bit. cut up the bumper beams a bunch.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped