Replacement engine for 93 SS 5mt turbo

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

green91
First Gear

Replacement engine for 93 SS 5mt turbo

Post by green91 »

Hello guys,

My 93 SS turbo 5mt legacy has got a major engine malfunction and i believe it to be a broken connecting rod based on the loud knocking sound and seeming to be a cylinder down, but i wont know until i get the engine out and disassembled.

While my car does have the ej22t, they dont seem to be readily available or inexpensive. So im looking for an alternative engine.

I do apologize if this has been asked before, ive searched and been reading for days and haven't found what i need to know yet lol.

Glancing on ebay i see the ej20r TT swaps are pretty reasonably priced and are around what i would be willing to invest into the car. I have no desire to retain the TT setup, i would be purchasing the swap mostly for the block.

Is it possible to use the EJ20r with my stock harness ecu and exhaust manifolds? I have read that the DOHC intake manifolds are different than my ej22t so i would need to use the ej20r intake manifold.

Are there any other alternative engines available? Im looking for a <1k engine swap and would use my stock trans & drivetrain.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I would hold off on making any descions untill you pull your motor out and look at it. The crank and rods are the exact same pieces as the non-turbo EJ22 and even the EJ18. As long as your block can be honed for new rings, It's probablt not expensive at all to repair it.

The Twin Turbo conversion is not the most straightforward because it is set up for an under-the-manifold turbo inlet. I do not know if the 90 degree inlet fits the twin turbo manifold.

If your going to be looking at JDM swaps, look for an EJ20G from either a '89-'93 JDM Legacy or a '93-'96 WRX. Both of these are as close to bolt-up as you can get. All you really need to do is move your engine/intake manifold harness over to the new motor and fabricate a mount for the coilpack. The stock ECU and MAF have been used with good results on thses motors.

FYI, there is a complete EJ22T in our parts shed for $400+shipping.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
green91
First Gear

Post by green91 »

thanks for the reply.

Im not dead set on retaining the stock ihi turbo, infact i am considering swapping to a WRX turbo also.

I will definitely check out the ej20g. Its definitely my preference to make it a pretty straightforward engine replacement.

what kind of condition is your ej22t in? $400 is very fair if the engine is good, my concern is that im located in North Ga and the freight would be expensive.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

It's not mine.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=38226

This is an example of what can be basically dropped onto our Legacies. This is a reputable supplier, there are members here that seem to be able to get these engines cheaper, but I (personally) don't know where. You don't need everything that is there, but that leaves room to sell the trans and such to recoup some of your inverstment.
Ebay Link
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
green91
First Gear

Post by green91 »

Gotcha, JHOT actually has another location thats within driving distance of where i live, i plan on giving them a call. I just want to make sure i understand what will work and what i need so that when tax returns come around i can buy an engine for the car if need be. Thanks for your help!