Shaft play on used turbo

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Shaft play on used turbo

Post by 93Leg-c »

I've searched but couldn't find the answers I'm looking for. I'm going to be taking a look at a used td04 tonight but I need more knowledge regarding shaft play.

This is my primary question: What is acceptable shaft play in a turbo? Or to put it another way, what is too much shaft play so that I know not to buy the turbo?

My secondary question: The seller said almost all turbos have shaft play, even new and rebuilt ones although I've read many FS threads on used turbos having NO shaft play. He said the only ones that don't are new ball-bearing turbos. Is he correct?

Since I've never even removed my turbo from my engine, I'm obviously a newbie at turbos so any tips you guys can give me will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
'94 TW
mlitz123
First Gear

Post by mlitz123 »

from what i have heard and read any shaft play is bad... now i have alot of friends with tubo cars and they always tell me that a little bit is not bad as long is it in and out paly side to side is what you dont want.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I think you may have it backwards.

A little play side to side is not a big deal & some turbos will usually have a little play (Mitsubishi TD series Turbos usually have a little side to side / up/down play).

In/out play is bad.

It is possible to get a TD series turbo with NO shaft play - basically it would have to be a super low mile unit that has not seen much boost during its life.
Older JDM GF8's ran just 10psi stock & the EARLY GC8's ran about 11-12psi.
I have come across examples of both of these turbos with no shaft play (I have a 90* inlet TD04 with NO shaft play in the parts shed right now as a matter of fact).

I'd consider a TD04 / TD05 with no shaft play a turbo in Excellent condition.
Slight shaft play would be very good to good condition depending on the amount of play present.

Excessive shaft play = a bad turbo...

A WET turbine wheel can also be a sign of a bad turbo as it shows that the turbo is smoking (burning oil) & the oil seals are shot.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
mlitz123
First Gear

Post by mlitz123 »

ahhhh thank you for corecting me i was talking to my frined today after i posted that and was gong to log on and corect my self...
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated! :D
'94 TW