97 EJ20G Will this work in my 91 SS?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

PhyrraM wrote:
If I wasn't out there with my suspension and engine build, I'd buy it for the EJ20K intake setup and the (4.44?) trans.
The one from Jhot has a BCBA tranny, which is a 4.11.

I don't know what the Forester one has but for $600 that swap is a steal whether or not it has the manual tranny shown or the auto tranny from the description.
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

This is true. I bid on it and I'm winning right now for $610. If it really is an auto I have a 5spd already and then I won't have to get a new rear diff.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I just hope my 5spd tranny is good. I've never driven this car before. That was another reason I was thinking about buying one of these complete swaps because the trannys were low milage and probably in better condition. I think mine has 175K miles on it and it's probably been driven hard.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Will this rear LSD match the 97 EJ20GD Forester tranny?
Here's an used rear LSD SET from a 1998 Subaru Impreza, Chassis GF8. LSD appears to be in good condition, it was pulled out of a working vehicle. LSD should fit years 92-01 GF8/GC8 Chassis models, this is the lsd you want/need to have the correct ratio for the ej20 swap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0310227138
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well I hope that LSD works and I hope that's a manual transmission. Because I won both of them!

$680 for the engine/tranny plus $460 for shipping
$99 for the LSD and axles plus $120 for shipping

I asked them if they could combine shipping on the two because $120 to ship a rear diff is crazy.

I got a killer deal on that engine though! I couldn't believe that guy gave up bidding so easily. Saved me like $600!

Sweet! I'm stoked now.

:D
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Grats! He should be able to throw the diff on the same pallet as the engine, no problem.

If the diff turns out to be a different ratio, I'm sure you can find a straight swap for a proper one.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

That diff should be a 4.11. It's probably from the swap you won.
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alrighty, they emailed me back saying it was indeed a manual and they forgot to change it on the auction. Which actually probably saved me a lot of money!

Grand Total came to $1,289 shipped for engine/tranny and rear LSD, all 4 driveshafts, ECU, Harness, intake and crossmember.

Just paid for it and it should ship out tomorrow. Hopefully in a week I'll have my stuff. Hopefully I will be able to install it all...lol
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Not bad. Most swaps like that go for that much and more before shipping.

I'm not sure what EJ20K harnesses/ECUs are going for, but that should get you some money back. Also selling your original 3.9:1 LSD and trans should net you a few bucks.

Are you going to start with the stock SS ECU/MAF/440cc grey injectors? That's a combo that has been known to work well. Once it's running good, you'll most likely want to upgrade the turbo, it's the only real "weak" point of the Forester conversion. Then get the Revtronics EJ20G or stage 2+ chip and you'll be styling.

And don't worry about installation. Aside from swapping the airbox and placing your SS motor harness on the new motor, it's the exact same as putting factory stuff back in there. Even the trans is basically identical on the outside and you can use your clutch/flywheel if it's better than what is on there.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Which turbo does this motor have? I've got an almost new 2,000 mile TD04 in perfect condition waiting to go on.

I've got a brand new exedy clutch for a 91 turbo and Clutchmasters WRX lightweight flywheel with brand new insert where the clutch grabs. I've also got the Group A lighweight pulley set. And in the mail is my simply subie fender braces! Yay.

I just ordered my 20mm rear whiteline swaybar and I've got a 20mm wrx wagon front bar already. Along with the STI suspension, I should be taking corners on rails I hope.

Pretty sure I'll be selling the VLSD from my car along with the tranny. I shouldn't need the ECU or wiring harness so I'll sell that too.

I should replace the timing belt while it's out, right? Check the cams seals and main seals.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I'm not sure, but I recall reading that the Foresters had a turbo slightly smaller than a normal TD04. That might have been for the autos though, not sure. I'm sure Matt will have more to add about Forester turbos.

A WRX TD04 will drop right in.

Make sure you take lots of pics. I'll add a EJ20K "under the manifold" section to the DOHC swap thread.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'll take plenty of pictures. I have a Canon PowerShot now so I take pictures all the time now. It was a bitch borrowing my parents camera all the time or using my cell phone.

I love my powershot. Maybe I'll even start a....a build thread! Never had one of those before.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

It's a td04, but it's better trimmed than a USDM td04. Mine put out 240chp at 12psi. on my old swap. I wouldn't change it unless you are putting one of the vf series turbos on there instead (vf30, vf34, etc).
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alright. Thanks matt.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Conway shipping had my engine for a week but finally delivered it yesterday. Snapped some quick shots. I didn't get to do anything with it because I was busy stripping the EJ22T down completely.

I didn't see any shipping damages. I did notice they cut the power steering lines. Will the 91SS power steering lines work with this engine? I hate how they cut all the hoses instead of simply removing them. Makes it a pain in the ass and all that stuff adds up to a lot of extra cash spent.

Overall it looks pretty good.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

How do you know if that's a limited slip differential? Doesn't say anything on it. Doesn't have the label like the one that came on my car. How are you supposed to know what gear ratio it is?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Looks good.

I used my EJ22T power steering lines (and pump) on my EJ20G, but those look a bit different. Worse case, you might have to get a hose place to join the EJ20K engine lines with the Legacy steering rack lines using new rubber in the middle. Shouldn't cost much and for the right place is easier than it sounds.

Nice forklift!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The newer diffs have a code on the side of the diff that should help identify it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Wait, so exactly what is this motor?

Looks like fun!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's a 97 EJ20G from a JDM forester. The accessory belts look to be in good shape, should I bother putting the new timing belt on? Probably.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Oh wow. I suppose I could have read the title before asking. Don't hesitate to hit me up for help! I've done the same swap on a friends car before.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

kimokalihi wrote:....... should I bother putting the new timing belt on? .....
Did you seriously just ask that question? :P

Consider it insurance on your $1200.

Keep the pics coming, I'm watching this one closely also. Post up any problems, I'm sure there is enough knowledge on the board to solve just about anything.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

asc_up wrote:Oh wow. I suppose I could have read the title before asking. Don't hesitate to hit me up for help! I've done the same swap on a friends car before.
'

I may do that if I have a snag. Thanks!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Haha ok. And I meant if you needed manual help, like someone to position the engine as you lowered it or whatever. The BBS is ALWAYS the best place to go for info ;)
-Aaron

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My step dad can always help me if I need help moving the engine around.

I may need someone who knows these engines in case I can't figure out how to do something.

Can I drop the engine in with the tranny attached or do I need to do them seperately?