Smart Service - Shoreline, WA

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

northcoast
First Gear

Smart Service - Shoreline, WA

Post by northcoast »

I needed to have my head gaskets replaced on my hunting/snowboarding car last August and since I ran out of time to do the job myself I took my car into Smart Service in Shoreline for a quote.

I was quoted 8 hours of labor not to exceed $800 for the HG replacement (I already had all the parts I needed in a box ready to go) and A/C delete. No other shops were able to get me in before I needed to leave on my road trip so this seemed reasonable. I scheduled the appointment, then dropped it off the night before with a note on the key envelope authorizing them to machine the heads if necessary along with a reminder that I wanted to keep the parts from the A/C delete and to call me if they found anything that needed to be addressed.

I got a call the next day requesting authorization for a new clutch. I was quoted $200 for a new clutch and since the old one was slipping I agreed. I stopped by that afternoon to check on the progress. The mechanic said the heads did not need machining and looked brand new. He showed me a tiny hot spot on the flywheel that he was going to buff out and told me the car would be ready the next day.

Went to pickup the car the next day and this is where the positive experience ended. I should have taken the car for a test drive and looked under the hood before paying the bill but didn't. When they gave me the total I was not a happy camper. There were several additional charges added to the bill including two additional hours beyond what was quoted. The manager removed some of the charges but the total ended up being 50% more than what I was expecting. By this time I was so torqued that I just went out to my car and left.

Serious disappointment set in right after I started the car. I was expecting the clutch to be tight but not STi tight. I killed the engine twice in the parking lot before and a few more times on the way home. Once I got the car rolling I noticed a serious decrease in power from when I brought it in. When I got home I did not see the A/C compressor in the trunk so I popped the hood to see if they even did the work. Sure enough the compressor was still in place although the mechanic did unplug the electrical connection and remove the hose.

I tried calling them right away but they were closed so I left a message for them to call me. I did not receive a return phone call for over a week. When they finally called I told them clutch had loosened up a little but was still ridiculously tight and the unexplained loss of power was still a major issue. I was told to bring it in so they could look at but of course I had to schedule a time the next week. When I brought the car in they had it less than 30 minutes before I was told it was good to go. Took there word for it and took my car. The clutch was fine for a few weeks (which isn't saying much because it is not my daily driver) but the loss of power was still present and I noticed an increasing oil leak that was not present before the HG replacement. I took my car in again and I got the same quickie treatment again.

Since that time I've tried to get my car in a couple of times to have them take a look but they are always "a month out" which now puts them out past the warranty. I was able to get one appointment scheduled a couple of weeks ago but then it was canceled by them. To make matters worse the car has started overheating and the throwout bearing is making a ton of noise!!

:evil:
Lifted 91 LS Wagon : SOLD
87 GL-10 Turbo : SOLD
Lifted 97 Impreza OBS
98 Impreza OBS RallyX / DD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've heard good things about them in the past, however your experience is not good.

I would make sure you inform them that due to their scheduling issues, your warranty should not be voided.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

also see if they are apart of the BBB.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

As long as you've got the dates you tried to make appointments, I don't see how they can void you on warranty due to their scheduling problems. If they do, that's a lousy business and I'd tell them I was going to report them to the BBB. Mechanics live on reputation, at least around here, and that might get you something. Other than that, there's probably not much you can do other than go somewhere else in the future. It sucks, but karma's a bitch and this kind of stuff catches up. Just does you no good personally.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
northcoast
First Gear

Post by northcoast »

As if I wasn't pissed off enough already...

I adjusted the clutch myself and most of the noise seemed to have disappeared so I took my car out on 7/12 to meet my parents up at White Pass. My two youngest kids came along so that they could go stay with my parents for a week. My car started overheating when I got stuck behind some slow traffic right before the pass. I pulled into the gas station and steam started coming out from under the hood. When I popped the hood I noticed not just the steam from the radiator but out of my air box as well. Not a good sign. As soon as I relieved the pressure from the radiator cap I went to get some water out of the trunk and noticed steam coming out the exhaust. I knew right away that my head gaskets were blown.

Only 11 months and around 8,500 miles is all they lasted. Called Smart Service and was told that they only warranty the labor on the gaskets and that is only for 3 months/3, 000 miles. If I would have know that I would have taken my car to another shop but since they are the "only AAA approved independent Subaru repair shop" in Washington I thought I could trust them. I will be making a call to AAA and fill them in on what has happened so far.

Needless to say, what I thought was a good investment in my car's future was a waste. Now I can only recommend NOT taking your car to Smart Service Subaru in Seattle.
Lifted 97 Impreza OBS
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

im sorry man. if you need a car i can sell you my 91 wagon for cheap. its not a looker. also have 300,000+miles on it. if you intrested pm or call me. 360-929-6365
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
northcoast
First Gear

Post by northcoast »

Thanks for the offer but I picked another engine for only $250 and put in last night. I just have to change the timing belt and finish hooking it up and I should be good to go.

I pulled the heads off the other motor and the gasket was blown in the exact same spot as last time. Pretty lame especially since I had already pre-authorized the heads to be machined and they didn't do it.
Lifted 97 Impreza OBS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I wonder if all they did was retorque the heads or something.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....that's fishy....sounds like they didn't do shit.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

Did you check the heads for warpage? They might not be warped. What about the block? Either way, sounds like nothing but badness.