kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

PhyrraM wrote:The space should work just fine.

Take a file and knock off any loose aluminum, and run it.

You can shoose to improve it later, after the car is running.
I like your style. I'm still going to call up the machine shops just to get a quick quote on them in case I make them to sell. I bet they charge an arm and a leg and it takes them 5 mins each or like 20 mins for all of them.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got my $40 ebay high flow cat today. Took a while for them to ship it, I was beginning to wonder. It was funny because the day I decided to check the tracking number it said, "Delivered. At door step." I went outside and there it was!

Comes with a warranty card to send in. It says It has a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty and it also says catalytic converters usually last the life of the car and seldom ever need to be replaced. The dealership or repair shop has to sign off on it and check the box saying why it was replaced.

Haha. I'll sign them myself and send it in. Or not even bother?

Shit, it's a $40 cat, why should I even care about the warranty. What was I thinking.

"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Sweet deal!!!
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Called up the machine shop today and it would cost around $65 for one spacer to be made. About $120 for 9 of them. Which means I'd have to sell them at like $20 a piece to get my money back. I doubt I would be able to sell 9 of them period at any price (demand isn't there) let alone $20 a piece.

Wish I had known that hole saw bit would be such a piece of shit.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got some work done. During the day I finished the throttle body spacer. Turned out pretty decent after a lot of filing. Wouldn't want to make any more of them that way though.

Then I went home for a few hours and had some sam adams summer ale and some wine. Then I cam eback and removed the exhaust, removed all the heat shields and heatwrapped the whole header and up-pipe.

Then I removed the turbo and replaced it with a USDM TD04 that only has 2,000 miles on it, practically brand new.

Pretty productive day.

Rough cut with sawzall.

Test Fitting.

Barely clears the TPS. Perfect!

Finished product filed and sanded down really smooth and clean.

Here you can see the gap because the spacer hole was cut too big.

Removing the exhaust for heatwrapping.

USDM TD04.

Installed!

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Quick note about heatwrapping. Wear long sleeved shirt and gloves. Leave no skin exposed. I was a bit drunk when I did it and now my arms are filled with tiny pieces of invisible fiberglass that itch like hell. I had to go to work last night and my work shirt is long sleeved and catches on all those little pieces of fiberglass and irritates it all night long. I think I'm going to have to put up with that shit for at least a week.

You've been warned!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Use a good hand cleaner with pumice in it. May sound rough, but scrub hard! Been there, done that when messing around with the wrap before.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh I did! Didn't help. I used the Gofast orange clearner or whatever it's called. It's got a sand like material in it for scrubbing.

What do you guys think about my throttle spacer? I found them on the internet aftermarket for about $100! But those come with longer bolts and I think even gaskets I'm not sure though. They were crazy, up to 1" thick. Why would you want a 1" thick throttle body spacer? What does that do?
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Changes the intake length but I don't see that it would make any HP difference really. The phenolic manifold spacers are supposed to help. Never seen any actual dyno data to prove it though.
Jason
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Not exactly dyno numbers but a pretty cool read on the phenolic spacers.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110474/article.html
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Couple goodies came in the mail today from summit.

Gibson 2.5" inlet 3" outlet angled exhaust tips

My dual tip borla muffler won't be in stock until the end of the month. :(

I'm shooting for PhyrraM's exhaust look. I dig it.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Those look nice. That should get you close.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol thanks I was trying to find some that looked as close to that bosal exhaust as possible. That's the look I've always wanted.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I just showed my girlfriend the dual tips and she hates them. Haha! She said she might have to break up with me if I put a dual tip muffler on my car. She even went so far as to say I will have the gayest subaru around! So I kindly told her to enjoy being single! The dual tip muffler is here to stay!

HAHAHA!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got my muffler today. Pretty bummed though. The outlets on this muffler are too far apart. Looks terrible.

I don't know what to do. Plus the tips are the same exact size as the outlet on the ends that go on the muffler outlets. So they won't slide over the outlets. Which is probably alright, could get around that with welding and cutting. But the space between them? It looks retarded!

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

It'll be fine! You're being to hard on yourself over the looks. I doubt anyone would even mention anything about it!
Jason
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I agree, just run it. It will either grow on you or you can change it later.

Focus on getting the motor installed and running. I've seen way too many projects completely stall while dwelling on details instead of the big picture. I include myself in that group at times.

git 'er done!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Do you think I could chop off most of the outlets on the muffler and cut some pipe at angles and do something like this?

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm surely not going to let a cosmetic thing stop my project. I'm just killing time waiting for parts to come in. As soon as my spacers get here I will put them on and put the intake back on. Replace the broken turbo hose. Put my new knock sensor on and my EJ22T throttle body with my custom spacer.

Oh, and install my new Group N motor and tranny mounts.

But I know this will bother me and I'll never like it. I think I should be able to cut and weld those outlets like in that picture pretty easily. Then it would look great.
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

They make prefab pipes that do just that... but I don't know what the clearance is.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got my GrimmSpeed Phenolic spacers today. They look very nice. I'm excited to install them and get going on my engine again.

Maybe late tonight I'll get it done.

The other spacer is underneath the gasket. You can hardly even see it since it matches the gasket so well. Those are the gaskets I got from the subaru dealership and I think they're for a 96 Subaru Legacy 2.5 DOHC. If you look closely there's also another gasket underneath the other spacer.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Started to install my Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers this morning. But didn't finish because I wasn't sure about what to do with the wiring harness. I started to put the 91 Harness on and noticed there is a sensor with a blue connector on the 91 harness but it's a black connector on the 97 forester harness. The connectors are not interchangeable.

Do I cut off the 97 connector and solder it into the 91 harness in place of the blue connector or should I try to swap the sensors? The 91 sensor looks nasty and is also mounted on the other side of the manifold so it may not fit.

I also got hung up for a long time trying to figure out why the hell I couldn't find the connector for the knock sensor. Then I looked under the hood of my step dads 90 legacy L and found out it comes off the harness from the firewall, not the one on the engine.

I also installed the Group N motor and tranny mounts. I reused the stock mounting plates because they have welded on heat shields and the Group N plates do not. Other than that, they are identical. The holes all line up the same in a straight line and they're the same thickness and everything.

The mounts are significantly stiffer. Particularly the tranny mount, that thing was so soft. I actually measured with a ruler that I was able to bend it about 1 and 3/4" with my hand alone. I took a picture to demonstrate with my foot how much it bends. The Group N mount doesn't bend at all. Maybe 1/4" at the most.

The Group N 6speed tranny mount is the one I used. It's almost 1/4" shorter than the 97 Forester mount.

The motor mounts weren't much stiffer though.

6spd STI Group N mount is the top one.

And I replaced the torn turbo coolant hose with the heat shield. I ordered the EJ22T hose which happens to be shapped a bit differently and longer than the EJ20G one but I cut it and made it fit. I put the heat shield on the hose too.

The EJ20H intake ports and the EJ20G/K seem to be exactly the same size to me.

EJ20G/K Ports

EJ20H Ports

Comparison with EJ20G/K on top and EJ20H on the bottom.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The blue connector is the purge soliniod. I think it needs to be plugged in to avoid a check engine light.

Does your EJ20K intake manifold use a purge soliniod? Not all of the JDM stuff does. Trace the passages on both manifolds to check. The purge line runs from the charcoal canister to the throttlebody. On an EJ22T it has the soliniod between the two. On the EJ20G there is no soliniod. If you have a spot for a soliniod, use the EJ22T one instead of the EJ20K one, that way it will plug in. If you don't need one, plug it in electrically, but don't hook up the vaccuum line to it.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Oh, almost forgot....

Looks good!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Isn't that the purge solenoid or is that something else? I know they both have that but on one manifold it's on one end and the other manifold it's on the other end. So if I want to hook it up to that, I'm going to have to lengthen the wires anyways.

I can't look now though because I'm at home now, not at my parents anymore.