EJ20K ports VS. EJ25D, EJ251 and EJ22T ports

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

EJ20K ports VS. EJ25D, EJ251 and EJ22T ports

Post by PhyrraM »

I figured I'd take a few snaps of the various ports I have here in the garage. I was a bit suprised to see the difference in the EJ25D and the EJ20K. There are alot of posts stating they came from the same casting. They d not, but it is close.

Also keep in mind that the difference between the "D" and the "K"looks worse than it is. This is because most of the extra size on the EJ20K is at the port floor where air is moving the slowest.

It looks like I forgot to snap a pic, but the EJ20k gasket matches the ej20k port EXACTLY. The gasket is the exact size of the port. Keep that in mind when comparing the pics.

EJ20K gasket on EJ25D head. In this case a '98 Impreza 2.5RS. The top of the port is very close to the same contour as the "K". the bottom however, is not nearly as wide.

Factory "port match" on a EJ251. In this case a 2001 Impreza 2.5RS. Keep this pic in mind when looking at the following ones.

Factory EJ251 gasket (which is slightly bigger than the port) on the EJ20K heads. Notice that the gasket is virtually the sam size as the "K" port, making the EJ20K ports slightly bigger than the EJ251.

EJ20K gasket over an EJ22T gasket. Very large difference here, as expected.

Keep in mind these port sizes are not absolute. They do not denote flow, only suggest which ones may be more suited to a given flow rate goal. The port shapes and the camshafts also play a role in total flow capacity.

If there are any other combos youi would like to see, ask. I'll try to take pics and post them up. I will do a few of EJ20G heads in the next day or so after I get them back from the machine shop.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have EJ20H heads still if you'd like a picture of those with the gaskets.

I also have the heads on that motor I'm working on which you said was EJ20G/K?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Sure, any and all pictures can only add to the community info pool. Throw a ruler or tape measure on it and snap a few pics of that too. I plan on adding dimensions eventually also.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alright, next time I'm over at my parents I'll get some pictures. In the meantime, I found this picture in my build thread of the heads on that Forester motor. Looks like the intake ports match the gasket perfectly all the way around!

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Can you compare any 205 or 257 heads with the 25d and 20K heads?

What heads would you use depending on the goal of the motor?

I feel that various head combinations would be more ideal than others depending on goals of the setup. Some think that bigger is always better, and I think there is more to it than that.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

What someone needs to do is bandsaw some now so we can get cross sections and see how much we can port.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

93forestpearl wrote:Can you compare any 205 or 257 heads with the 25d and 20K heads?
Don't have any phase 2 heads other than the ones in my WRX. If I even happen to take the intake off, I'll be sure to get a few pics.
What heads would you use depending on the goal of the motor?
I feel that various head combinations would be more ideal than others depending on goals of the setup. Some think that bigger is always better, and I think there is more to it than that.
Yup. I tried to express that in the original post. For my build, I think that good flowing, but still stock ports and cams (EJ20K in my case) should make for an all-around good powerband with a 2.35 liter motor w/TD05. If I can carry the powerband to 6000RPM before drastic falloff, I'll be happy.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Cool.

Honestly, my 22T heads were fun with the wad of torque early. With a quick spooling turbo they would be great for rally cross or auto cross.

I went with the 25D heads since they are cheap, flow well up top compared to the 22T heads, and can be built up if need be. I wish they had the newer sized buckets, but oh well.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Didn't Fuji from RS25 take like 10000 pictures odf just about every subaru head port on the planet?
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Yes he did.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

Thanks Phyrra. Good info. :D
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

So basically what we have learned here is that we should port the shit out of our heads?
-Doug Wilson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

GodSquadMandrake wrote:So basically what we have learned here is that we should port the shit out of our heads?
That depends on your intended usage. If you want max-flow for a big turbo and high RPM use, and you don't want to do a DOHC conversion, then yes. :P

My intention was just to add more info to the board. Nothing more, nothing less. Fuji has a great thread on RS25 and Nasioc, but these are directly related to the stuff we generally use. Phase 1 heads that will work with the EJ20G or EJ25D intake manifolds.
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

PhyrraM wrote: That depends on your intended usage. If you want max-flow for a big turbo and high RPM use, and you don't want to do a DOHC conversion, then yes. :P

My intention was just to add more info to the board. Nothing more, nothing less. Fuji has a great thread on RS25 and Nasioc, but these are directly related to the stuff we generally use. Phase 1 heads that will work with the EJ20G or EJ25D intake manifolds.
I already did the DOHC conversion so too late there but no I'm just trying to get 360 CFM of flow through my heads since thats what the FIA tells me I can get through my 34mm restrictor. It's either that or build an NA motor. At least with NA there is no restrictor and I can move up to 2.5 liters instead of just 2.2. Either way high compression and E85 is on the table.
-Doug Wilson
epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

360CFM total. 90CFM/port doesn't sound like it should be real hard to accomplish.
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]