kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I believe so. Wait, did the legacy come with the H6 option? The newer ones?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

IRC, 2002 was the first year.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I see, that makes sense. I didn't know that. I thought it was just the outback.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I started removing the tranny after work this morning but I had to stop because it's getting late and I gotta get to sleep soon.

I did notice something though. The tranny in my 91 is a mechanical speedo tranny. The tranny that's going in is electric sensor type. How does that work? Can I just remove the electrical plug thing and install my mechanical cable?
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Correct!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's good. Was worried there for a minute.

Anybody know what year/model USDM engine has long enough spark plug cables to reach around the coolant filler tank? I have a brand new set that I paid like $60 and I think it's 7mm and they only reach on the other side of the engine. I tried rerouting them but they just won't reach on that side. I also have a set of like new NGK wires I got from the junkyard off a N/A legacy that also don't reach. Pretty pissed off that these don't reach. They go to a 2.5l DOHC legacy and they're the type with the long cylinders on them and the rubber seal that seals up the spark channel hole.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I've always seen posts where people say the EJ25D (DOHC) ones will fit with a bit of re-routing.

Are you happy with your throttlebody/TPS solution? I just occured to me that *maybe* you can adapt the Ej22T shaft to the EJ20K throttlebody and use a EJ22T TPS with a modified mount.

Or you can fab an external microswith (like old nitrious systems) to replace the idle switch and then you can just use the EJ20K TPS by swapping 2 pins.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm happy with it so long as I can get it to fit the intercooler and have it reach the turbo with the y pipe.
Or you can fab an external microswith (like old nitrious systems) to replace the idle switch and then you can just use the EJ20K TPS by swapping 2 pins.
You lost me here...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got home from work this morning and pulled the tranny out of my car. It was pretty easy with the engine out. Notice the nice brand new rebuilt axles from whoever CCR engines told me to buy them from. It's on their site I think.

One thing I would highly recommend doing before removing the tranny from your subaru. Drain the tranny fluid first! Otherwise your garage floor will look like this.

I then removed the electronic speed sensor from the forester tranny and replaced it with the mechanical one from the 91 SS tranny.

Another great tip I have is to be gental when tightening this stupid mechanical piece in. Turns out it's plastic. It looks like it's just a rusty metal but it is plastic. I found this out because when I was tightening it down with my 17mm wrench it broke. Piece of shit. Apparently subaru got smart with the newer speed sensor because that one is aluminum. The plastic one is still intact but is cracked all the way through I think. Oh well, I don't plan on removing it for anything so it should be fine.

Lame.

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Ya same thing happened with my tranny... I was like F F FFFFFFFFFFFF went in the backyard and got a bunch of dirt.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I'll take that electronic speed sensor off you hands for my future dash swap. I'm installing aftermarket gauges and I'll be in need of a sending unit. Any idea if it worked properly in the tranny you removed it from?
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Funny thing is, I was contemplating which would be the best way to remove it. Drop it and drag it out from under the car or pull it up and out of the engine bay with the hoist. I went with the hoise because I had to get the driveshaft out of the back of the tranny and it had to come forward to get it out unless I wanted to crawl all the way to the back of the car and drop the whole shaft.

The other thing was, I have nothing to clean that shit up with. It's still sitting under the car in a huge puddle. And seeping into the ground where it spilled out of the garage onto the driveway which is dirt.

I think after I get out of the gym in the morning after work if I remember I'll go pick up something to clean it up with at walmart. I'll actually probably forget though and then be pissed when I go back over there and can't get under the car because the huge puddle I'd have to lay in.

I have a new Kartboy shifter bushing to install under there before the new tranny goes in.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I picked up some stuff to clean up the mess and when I walked into the garage about 80% of it had evaporated/drained away. Leaving behind a thick muck that almost looked like gelatin.

Covered all that with the kitty litter type stuff for oil spills but couldn't find a broom to sweep it up so it's still there.

While I had the tranny out I figured it was a good time to bolt in my new kartboy shifter bushing. That old one was super flimsy. This one is hardness. It almost didn't fit. At first I thought it wasn't going to but I forced it. The bolt holes weren't quite wide enough and the back is flat although the stock bushing bracket has angled mounting tabs because the bolts are kind of angled down and out to the sides slightly. This is for a WRX though so maybe the WRX is slightly different. But it does fit you just have to press harder on the bolts to get them to go into the holes while you tighten them.

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I spy with my little eye...an e-brake handle. :lol:
Jason
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah it's a nasty leather ebrake handle. It's dirty and worn and needs to be replaced. It's gonna make my nice STI boot/trim and legacy GT leather shift knob look bad lol.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Spent 5 hours at my parents last night from about 12:30-5:30am. Got a lot done. I started off by pulling the timing belt off and installing the new tensioner I got from 1stsubaruparts.com. The belt doesn't seem to be any tighter than it was with the other one. I think the other tensioner was fine. Oh well.

Is this hooked up right? Is that spring supposed to go like that? Wasn't sure because it was not on there when I got the tranny/engine.

This cat either has some balls of steel or is incredibly stupid to sit there without an ounce of fear as about 500lbs sways gently over his head.

I can't believe I got this thing in all by myself. If it wasn't for that engine leveler I never would have pulled that off. $40 well spent! That engine is so big it doesn't look like it's going to fit in there.

I'm glad I remembered to put those spark plugs in before I dropped the engine in. I'd have to remove the stupid airbox just to get them in if I hadn't! That sucks. A lot. Oh shit, I just realized I never gapped them before I put them in. Great. Real smart. Son of a bitch!

Nice little surprise was waiting for me here. My brand new rebuilt axles both have torn boots now. WTF!? Installed them last fall/winter probably in november and they've never been used and now this? I'm pissed off right now about this shit. Not a happy camper. Both sides! I bought them from the place on the CCR engine rebuilders site.

How do I get this ball to go in the socket? Do I just jam it in there as hard as I can? Or am I missing something? I was going to jam it in there but I thought I better wait in case there's something to undo or something like that.

Little preview mock up of my shift knob and STI trim/boot. I love it!

dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

give it a whack with a hammer...that'll get the ball in there, make sure it's greased up tho..
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

A hammer sounds really painful and awkward so I don't know if I would recommend using one, but you DEFINITELY have to lube your ball to get it in the hole.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Will definately lube up before penetration.

This may be a stupid question but I'd like to get my shifter adjusted properly and I'm not sure how. Which piece do I adjust to adjust the height and which one adjusts for the throw? Top or bottom? Some short shifters only have one adjustment, this one has two.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I emailed GroupA about their website needing to be updated on the shortshifter page. It has said that their tech guy has been on vacation for about a year now and that when he returned he would post up instructions on the shortshifter. It also said that it fit all subarus which it doesn't. It only fits the newer shift linkages with the wider bracket, WRX and newer probably.

They emailed me back promptly and told me to adjust the throw, shorten or lengthen the bottom section and to adjust the height shorten or lengthen the top section. Which is what I thought but wasn't sure because when I googled it, I came across a site that said to adjust the top for throw.

Anyways, they updated the short shifter page with a quick description of how to adjust height and throw and also noted that this shifter won't fit the older narrow shift linkages and there's another shifter coming out for those.

Pretty cool that they actually read their emails and get back to you within 1 day and even update their web page. You don't get that kind of response from most companies.

Props to Group A!

Only bad thing is, you have to remove the ball every time you want to adjust the throw, right? Or maybe you could remove the bolt that bolts it to the shift linkage and turn the whole shifter instead of turning the ball end. I'll have to check it out soon. I'm also going to compare it to the older shifter to get an idea of where to begin with.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

kimokalihi wrote: Only bad thing is, you have to remove the ball every time you want to adjust the throw, right? Or maybe you could remove the bolt that bolts it to the shift linkage and turn the whole shifter instead of turning the ball end. I'll have to check it out soon. I'm also going to compare it to the older shifter to get an idea of where to begin with.
Just remove the bolt; getting the ball out of that socket is a HUGE pain.

And for installing it, I'd suggest using a rubber mallet (worked for me).
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You need to use a dead blow hammer or something similar. Rubber mallet doesn't work as good.

Put a piece of scrap wood 2x4 over the shifter and give it a good whack with a hammer.

As for removing it, you can actually remove it pretty easily by leaning the shifter lever over, and the ball pops out relatively easy...or at least it has for me.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

How does that STi shifter trim fit? I was thinking about something like that....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

You need to cut up the console a little bit, but not too much. I just did it about a week ago...dresses up the interior SO much.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]