New to me--old car

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

I've not been posting much lately as no mods are being done to the Turbo Wagon, and getting the Alfa Spider set up has taken a lot of time to source parts and to get things done.

The 2 L has been in for a few months now, the updated distributor is tuned with the correct curve and with one more tuning session on the Weber 45s it will be set up for the rest of the summer.

With only 2000 lbs and about 155 chp it moves with some authority :D . However, the gearing is rather low with a 4.56 rear diff, so I have a 4.1 with lsd from a later 2 L to instal this winter.

This will also include a rebuild of the 5mt with taller ratios in first and second, as well as new Moly synchros. :D
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
Subtle
Third Gear

Update

Post by Subtle »

Got the Alfa sorted out with the 2 L install by late July, such that we were able to enter the Monte Shelton Rally for older sportscars. This ran from Portland out to the Oregon Coast through some of the best twisties not on a track. :D

The oldest car was a 1934 Bentley, and interesting cars included a 62 Ferrari V-12, 58 Gullwing, early Cobra 289, 54 Lancia Aurelia. Had never rallied before and amassed a lot of points, but had a lot of fun. Fifth from last in a 56-car entry. In getting there and back did 800 miles with no probs--the car is 45 years old. :-D

The syncros were worn when I bought it in November, 2006 so the tranny is being rebuilt now. Came upon a close-ratio gear-set, which is being used to make first, second, and third taller; while keeping the tall OEM fifth gear. This involves cutting the counter shaft and rewelding it with the taller things.--What do I know?

The car came to me with a 4.56 open diff suitable for around 80 to 90 HP and a 4.1 from a later 2 L Spider with limited slip is being worked on now. This includes some machining to match the axles and axle housing to the new (well, used) center section.

This is being done by an outfit that has been racing them for decades, and includes lightening the ring-gear by 2.5 lbs. :D

The result will be gearing more suited to around 160 HP and about a 500 rpm drop at most cruising speeds.

:-D :-D :-D
Last edited by Subtle on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Sounds cool, but why dont we get tosee pics of this lightened ring-gear, the teardown, and the enviornment? I mean, I imagined it all anyways, but it'd be nice to see the actual car.
Kickin' it old-school.
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Added another Alfa and it will be transported to Vancouver in a few weeks.

1963 Sprint, that is the coupe version of my Spider, and is almost through a restoration. Body has been done and painted white, but the engine bay is not. Has everything except a rear quarter window.

Front and rear lights need to be installed and it requires a new upholstery. It has a 1600 engine and five-speed gear box. I already have a built 2 L and built close-ratio 5-speed. Looking now for a 4.3 LSD.

Bumpers need chroming and the old steel wheels will be replaced with alloy replicas of the mags used for racing in the early 1960s.

Have a guy who does very good body and paint work who will finish it.

There is a correct very dark blue that I like.

Sorry, but still can't post pics, but Google images has pics on the model.

Giulietta Sprint