How To Remove The Orange Lenses In Your 90-91 Tail Lights

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

How To Remove The Orange Lenses In Your 90-91 Tail Lights

Post by kimokalihi »

This is probably the easiest mod you'll ever do on this car or any other car really.

Before and after:

Tools Needed:

You can probably use any type of pliers or prying tools. This is just what I had available at the time and they worked pretty well.

Pop open your trunk.

Remove this grey cover and the black plastic piece that pops out holding all your lighting.

Here you can see the orange lens that needs to be removed. Or rather, ripped out and thrown away.

You need to push on it to pop it out of place. Use the prybar or screwdriver or something to pry it out a bit so you can get a good grip on it with your pliers. Then just use a combination of prying and yanking to get it out. You will probably hit your elbow or arms on something in the trunk when this thing finally breaks loose. I did on both arms and a few curse words soon followed. So be prepared for that.

Just as a warning, you'll probably break both of these lenses so I wouldn't plan on putting them back in if you're going to do this unless you want to remove the whole assembly and take the light apart. You can probably remove it without damaging it that way but it would be more time consuming.

Now repeat for the other side.

All done! Very nice, eh?

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Final step: Go to an auto store and buy amber blinker bulbs to replace the white ones ;)
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Of course! How could I forget. :roll:
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd be curious to see if the beam pattern does not reflect all the way across the blinker face.

That's a rather wide area for the one bulb to cover....maybe it can....I don't know. I'd like to see some video of one side removed with orange bulb and one side not removed....if someone wants to do this and show a comparison.

Too bad I don't have my old broken tail light lense any more. That would be the way to do it if anyone has a spare tail light lense....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
pacman_C
In Neutral

Post by pacman_C »

I just did mine yesterday and it looks awsome. It does seem to reflect the whole way across the blinker face with the amber bulb.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you have the means to take a video?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Yes! and I can't do this with 92-94 right?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No I don't believe so...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Ask and ye shall receive :)

This is just with my cell phone, so it's not very good, but you get the idea.

I just did this about an hour ago while doing other stuff to my car, and it looks a lot better and...

... seems to be brighter as well.

The clear turn signal is on the left, the original amber turn signal is on the right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf-It3BlAo

Here's just the original amber from the side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxPZP__-mNg

Here's just the clear from the side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx2Y5J1DDFM
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I couldn't really tell the difference with those videos lol. Was that with the same bulb or did you get an orange bulb for the clear one?
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

good right up Kimo, very much in the spirit of the internet
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Just a friendly reminder for those in Washington (and probably elsewhere):
[url=http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.200]RCW 46.37.200 - Stop lamps and electric turn signals displayed[/url]. wrote: ...The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit amber light: PROVIDED, That on any vehicle manufactured prior to January 1, 1969, the lamps showing to the front may emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber. The lamp showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber....
Just an easy reason for a cop to pull you over...

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
legacy4ever
Second Gear

Post by legacy4ever »

ericem wrote:Yes! and I can't do this with 92-94 right?
you CAN do this with 93 and 94 taillights, the 92s were virtually amberless. I did it in my 93 sedan.

However, it is not that simple, maybe because the postlift taillights are lower, and secondly the light pattern is not that great afterwards, it's more like a point, not like a strip. The amber lense is for light dispersion.
Last edited by legacy4ever on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
93MY EUDM Legacy EJ22
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I would definately not do this unless you buy the orange bulbs for them or I guess red will work too but might look weird, I dunno.

I hate it when people have white blinkers, they're way too bright.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah, they sell amber 1156 bulbs at virtually every auto parts store.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

Thats awesome!

Thanks for the write up!
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the video Michael.

Did you have an amber bulb in there? Can't tell too much from the video, but did light evenly distribute across the turn signal lense with the amber piece removed?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I did some looking, and I found the broken tail light lense that I replaced when someone backed into the car. I pulled the amber piece out....broke the main lense, but glued it back together just for demonstration purposes.

The amber lense does serve a purpose and helps distribute the light across the entire portion of the outer lense.

Here's some pictures and the last two are movies.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... taillight/

Here's direct links for the movies

Amber Lense Removed Movie (10mb)
Amber Lense Installed Movie (20mb)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Someone should do a write up on the wagon turn signal lenses. I did it on my 90 L wagon but I forgot exactly how long to put them in the oven for.

Anyways, you have to preheat your oven to 150 degrees and set both your wagon tail lights inside I think for 5 mins but it may be 10 mins but just in case, check it in 5 mins.

The problem I ran into was that my oven was either a minimum of 200 degree or 250 I can't remember I think it was 200 though. Anyways, I melted my first set after only like 5 mins because it was too hot. So be careful. After hitting up the junkyard, I got another set for $30 and checked it like every minute in the oven and got it out right on time.

You have to put it in the oven to melt the adhesive that holds the lens to the housing. Once it starts to melt a little you can use a screwdriver to CAREFULLY pry it open enough to remove the lens. It shouldn't be difficult to get out like the sedan lenses are. Mine came right out with no problems. I didn't even remove the outer lens from the housing completely, just enough to get the orange lens out.

Then quickly put it back on and press it into place. You probably need to put it back in the oven for a minute or two if the adhesive dried up too much just to make sure it's nice and gooey and gets a good seal, don't want that thing leaking and getting water inside.

Here's some pictures I just found. You can see where I melted the lenses pretty bad the first go around. Check them often while they're in the oven by opening the door and giving them a little pry with your flat head screwdriver to see if the adhesive it loosening up. Take it out as soon as you think you can pry it off or they WILL melt.

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Looks like your tabs are expired.
90 L+ wgn
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

AWD_addict wrote:Looks like your tabs are expired.
Thanks for the reminder! Mine are expiring soon too I need to take care of that...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I don't have that car anymore. I can't make out what year those tabs are from but I sold that car to my mom a year ago and she gave it to my sister for free. Those pictures were from a long time before I even sold it.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I think he was talking about the tabs on your SS haha.
-Aaron

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, the SS I think has 06 tabs lol. I have never driven it and I still don't know when it'll be running so I haven't gotten tabs for it yet.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re:

Post by kimokalihi »

asc_up wrote:Final step: Go to an auto store and buy amber blinker bulbs to replace the white ones ;)
And...one year later I finally bought amber bulbs for my turn signals! lol