Zach's Legacy FrankenSTIn TW

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Either way its done and over with. The car is running and getting semi tuned.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
brando
First Gear

Post by brando »

Like I said in my previous statement there is point in your car hobby experience that you decide not to spend any more time money or effort. Besides the tps sensor had better insulation with silicone and the connectors then the clip would ever have. But I'm sure you checked it with a volt omh meter and know that all ready. ;-)
1998 GT
1994 GT
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

1. 91 is gone.

2. he (brydon) didnt do a very good job of it. all he had to do was divide his fuelmap by half and it would have been safer. i learned that myself. i appreciate that something was done, but i dont think a N/A map should be used to begin with on a basemap.

3. i do what i want, its my soob.

4. Spencer the silicone is awesome so shut it, brandon i love it because its classy :-D .

5. lets all be friends :smt040
Last edited by SubaruNation on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Brydon
In Neutral

Post by Brydon »

smh0101 wrote:And also to Brydon:

Dear Sir,

I sincerly hope your electrical skills have improved over the job you did on Brandons old car. That wiring was horrible.

A total and complete cluster fuck... I mean come on... You cant even put a connector on the throttle position sensor? RTV the wires in?
I would wager my electrical skills against anyone in the country. Because you don't know what you are taking about I will give you some benifit of the doubt. You don't really know the history of this car, how many people other than me worked on it and what was done and redone in a hurry to just move the car. If I was to redo the wiring I would just start over and make a wiring harness for the car based on the WRX harness. But complete harnesses are expensive, time consuming, and pain staking.

RTV was used to literally make the car run. I don't have a lot of complete engine harness laying around, nor does anyone else. If they do there is a price tag with everything.
SubaruNation wrote: Brydon's tuning...like his wiring capabilities..... suck ass.
I sent him the datalogs and the existing map and said the exact same thing, "this shit is terrible" to quote exactly.

99. Surgeline tuning for the loss. Tim refused to remote tune/ tweak my basemap because "its a painstaking process that requires hands-on labor with the car."
- I call bullshit, and i wont be visiting them for my actual dyno session.
I did not tune the car at all. I literally sat in my driveway and scaled the lower half of the map so idle was close. The original map was based off of one from my L that had a different engine, cams, much higher compression, larger turbo, and different sensors. I didn't expect it to be close. I expected it to run. period.

I do however think it is funny you call me and Tim out in the same blurb. Tim being one of the best and most respected tuners on the west coast. Also being one of the most straight forward people who will not just tell you what you want to hear.

But for someone that can't tune, I went 11s with that motor. I'm waiting for you to do the same... Let me know if you do, it is always nice to see subaru's go fast.

You have very little facts to base calling out so many people. This could come back to haunt you in the future.
SubaruNation wrote: I also need to find a quality manual boost controller. the Blitz EBC for some reason doesn't control or stop the boost from increasing off into the sunset, and i really dont want to mess with wiring in a new EBC at all.
Likely you have it setup wrong or the wastegate hooked up wrong. The Blitz has no problem holding boost. My Blitz has held between 20 and 35psi just fine on my car with no more than 1 psi change.

So, good luck with your car. I'm glad it has had the change to get all sorted out and I wish you the best. I know Brando had lost interest in the car and I'm glad it went to someone that is willing to sort out all the issues with it. I would recommend always going to the same person to have the car worked on since much of it is custom and that person will know what is what on the car.
The Powers in the Teal
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

I dont really care to make a flame war in my build journal.... since it's a build journal not a duche zone.

[baby rant]
1. Brydon, thank you for picking up your phone and responding to my PM when we had questions for you regarding the engine and wiring. we were looking for advice regarding all of this afew weeks ago, we tried to turn to the one person who would know and have experience with this like you recommend (above) and it worked out perfect...
[/baby rant]
Brydon wrote: i did not tune the car at all
thank you for coming out with this.
Brydon wrote:Likely you have it setup wrong or the wastegate hooked up wrong. The Blitz has no problem holding boost. My Blitz has held between 20 and 35psi just fine on my car with no more than 1 psi change.
It's setup just like it arrived from brandon... so something must have changed along the line. it still reads the boost/vac levels but boost will not stop increasing.

if you could help me out with it somehow i would really appreciate it.

2. Tim Bailey is a nice guy, i rescinded what i said earlier... which you must have missed i guess. He was very professional in responding to me and he just has a different style that i am not used to. i may have the car done by him this spring/summer which we discussed. He is not comfortable tuning the car remotely, which is fine. i had the service done elsewhere. I also found out he is a doctor, which i had no idea of. pretty sweet.

Brydon wrote:But for someone that can't tune, I went 11s with that motor. I'm waiting for you to do the same... Let me know if you do, it is always nice to see subaru's go fast.

You have very little facts to base calling out so many people. This could come back to haunt you in the future.
[kanye]haha ok brydon, no offense here seriously.. but just like this thread is actually partially coming back to haunt you specifically, which is why you are coming in here and defending your integrity. good call though.[/kanye]

i judge based on experience, and so far i have not had a very good experience with you. I have attempted to contact you in various ways for help with this, since you had alot to do with the initial build and i never got a response or call back. obviously its not your responsibility but it definitely would have helped me tons, and yeah i would not have said the things i did earlier. I am more than willing to work to change this with you.

after i get it all finalized someday i am more than happy to show it to you, but again it's not my goal in life to care at all what you or anyone thinks. Glad we could get this cleared up tonight.

I'm building this because i enjoy it, not because i need an ego boost. ;)
Last edited by SubaruNation on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Brydon wrote:

Dear Sir,

I sincerly hope your electrical skills have improved over the job you did on Brandons old car. That wiring was horrible.

A total and complete cluster fuck... I mean come on... You cant even put a connector on the throttle position sensor? RTV the wires in?
I would wager my electrical skills against anyone in the country. Because you don't know what you are taking about I will give you some benifit of the doubt. You don't really know the history of this car, how many people other than me worked on it and what was done and redone in a hurry to just move the car. If I was to redo the wiring I would just start over and make a wiring harness for the car based on the WRX harness. But complete harnesses are expensive, time consuming, and pain staking.

RTV was used to literally make the car run. I don't have a lot of complete engine harness laying around, nor does anyone else. If they do there is a price tag with everything.
Alright... That I can understand. I was under the impression that all the wiring and work was done by you and Brandon. I can definetly understand the issues that arise from "too many cooks in the kitchen"

Thats how my 2nd tleg was... the PO fucked it over electrically and I fought with it every day I had it until I cut apart the harness and rewired a few sensors from the ecu and soldered everything back together.

And on another note...

I'm not going to participate in a pissing war. My issue was with how the car (wiring specifically) was hack job-ed together... Although that was not necessarily your fault.
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Brydon
In Neutral

Post by Brydon »

smh0101 wrote:
Brydon wrote:

Dear Sir,

Alright... That I can understand. I was under the impression that all the wiring and work was done by you and Brandon. I can definetly understand the issues that arise from "too many cooks in the kitchen"

Thats how my 2nd tleg was... the PO fucked it over electrically and I fought with it every day I had it until I cut apart the harness and rewired a few sensors from the ecu and soldered everything back together.
Ideally, i should have bought the car and built a wiring harness, finished the odds and ends, and then tuned it. But i have too many cars, bikes, and toys to do this. And this year I've been in and out of the country or working 80hrs a week. It would have taken my a year to get around to it.
The Powers in the Teal
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

My experiences with Brydon and Tim both have always been positive. I hold nothing but the highest regards for both of them. Brydon's knowledge of wiring and help gave my car a whole new life.

Brydon and Tim at Surgeline FTW!
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

1.brydon is awesome

2. update:

its 3am and we just finished putting new plugs in that are 1 step colder and gapped to .030 instead of the .040 plugs that were in it before! the old plugs were BLLLACK wow. i swear this is teh most miracle car ever created by man. subarus in general really now that i think of it.

also the car has been running on 3 cylinders, not 4 for well.. maybe awhile.. possibly before the swap. the way the frame is shaped and teh DOHC coilpacks sit causes some problems with changing the plugs. cylinder #4 had the coilpack..cover..tube deal underneath the sparkplug...and it felt like it was in and on the spark plug even though it wasnt.. because it was underneath it. CRAZY! just somethinng i will have to keep in mind.

I also got the BlitZ boost controller plummed and running! which is so sick because now i actually have HAVVVE boost!?!?

and the car sounds COMPLETELY different now with four cylinders. when i shift it sounds like a war zone!!! HAHAHA! i love tunnels!!

--- i need to figure out the limiting feature though because i think i have sunset boost again LOL. id like to have it limited and set to a max....that it less than 35lbs.. ideally and have it NOT go above that. we (me and soob) will get it figured out though.

--another sad story is little baby garrett has some shaft play. LAME. at least i find out now instead of when all the fanblades are eaten by my motor.. omnomnom..

tomorrow i am having doom road tuned for maximum sickness by this guy named eric that knows AEMs "LIKE A BAWSS!" im so stoked because he def knows his business.

results to follow! :smt040
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

lol... Zach... You have too much energy... spaz

Anyways...

Something tells me the blitz still isnt hooked up right because when I was fiddling with it trying to get it to work it, I set it to 11lbs and it wasnt working...

Assuming you havent changed the settings it should limit you to either 11 OR 15 (because that may be the wastegate spring on the TiAL)...

So if you havent changed the settings (which I'm guessing you havent because you said you need to figure out "the limiting feature") then either:

A) The wastegate/boost control solenoid is not hooked up correctly... still...

OR

B) The boost control solenoid is not functioning properly
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

naw everything is actually working fine, it's the programming/setup of the boost controller itself that we are figuring out.

There's a ton of options that change everything, including gain..limiters..boost percentages..etc. its nuts.

also is it possible/ how would we adjust the timing on the car itself?

we need to make sure the AEM timing map is synced with the cars actual timing before we can do legit tuning.

also i have no idea where my map sensor is. need to find that also.

we updated the firmware of the AEM unit today also which ended up working out, although when you do the update there are parameters that are lost in the .11 firmware when moving to the .19 firmware. i was scared but we got it working.
Brydon
In Neutral

Post by Brydon »

With the blitz you want to start low on the gain and move up. It should learn by itself pretty well in auto. If not you might have to play around with the rest of the settings.
The Powers in the Teal
Brydon
In Neutral

Post by Brydon »

Oh the only way to check the timing is to make a extension for the spark plug to coilpack and then attach a timing light to the plug wire. That or if you can find a timing light that will pick up through the coilpack. I've always done the extension. Then in the AEM software there is a timing set feature. Run that and set it to 15 add and subtract until actual timing is 15.
The Powers in the Teal
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

I'm trying to think of a more love-hate relationship than this car and i really cant.

i just turned it on, after completing what i thought was fixing it... and it sounds like a **&%*ing lawn mower... and wont start. its cold as hell outside though.. may be on 2 cylinders now.. wtf.

what should gap be for less than 15lbs of boost and this setup?
previous plugs were .040 and i shrank them down to .030.. should i go even less? like .25? for the winter? will that help starting?

i have read OEM should be like 28 to 31 for gap.. maybe less than 25 even?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

so it still sounds weird when it starts up, but eventually evens out and seems to idle alright after warming.

i was digging though my engine bay trying to find the culprit, and i found that somehow my cylinder 3 (closest to driver...?) fuel injector wire clip had come off.

when does that happen? ever? Sneriously?

nobody does that.

and i think the only reason it started..other than that... is that i added some royal purple oil to the mix.

hoping that's the only spook that happens over the next couple months,
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

rolled back the AEM firmware to .11, instead of the accidental .19 that got placed on there and now the car starts right up!

lost my modified domtune map through the firmware conversion drama so im working on adding fuel where its needed in the meantime.

why can't the westcoast be closer!? Lame.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

[emopost]

for sale

[/emopost]
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

It's for sale or your going emo?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

its having weirdness so i felt an emo post was necessary.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Zach your emo??? I CAN NEVER BUY PARTS FROM YOU AGAIN!! haha J/K, but if anything ever makes me feel the need to turn emo, its either cars or girls, but I will never turn to the emo side!
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ok so i was never able to get any of the plugs to spark on the outside of teh car (on cylinders 2 & 4). wtf...

smh0101 found me some coilpacks on nabisco for cheeeeeap... like way cheaper than retail LOL... so i got those and am going to pull the old ones off tonight and number them to keep track of everything...etc.

these ones must be newer because they are all black, while the ones i have currently are like grey-brown-white-brown-grey colored.

ill post pics of differences and such. really hoping this gets me back to four cylinders otherwise im selling everything and buying a lime green 1980 dodge caravan with 34" chrome wheels and mud-bogging tires.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The Caravan came out in 1983. See if you can find the stick shift turbo version.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

FML
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Yea Zach sorry... FYL
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Apparently I wasn supposed to agree with Zach... as per the text i recieve... I only meant with regards to a lime green minivan russian beaner mobile. :lol:

(Just a joke folks. Just a joke.)
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8