kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Anybody got a picture of where the bungs should be put for O2 and wideband?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

Looking good!

If you dont find that bracket for the top of the radiator, let me know. I believe I have a couple, you can have it for free.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sweet, thanks. I'll take a hard look for it first. It could be on the ground in the garage somewhere in my pile of EJ22T parts and twin turbo parts but other than that I don't know where the hell it could have gone. It was with the other one in there for a year and a half and then when I finally need it, it's gone.

Oh and my cat pissed on this plastic bag in there and I grabbed it up and started putting trash in it and I began to smell a horrible stench. Sure enough I got it on my hand and smelled the bag and it was all over it. That smell can make me drive heave it's so disgusting. Why does that damn cat piss on my stuff while I'm gone? He pissed inside my factory airbox a while back. If he wasn't already missing half of his back leg, I'd cut it off! lol j/k
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got the factory boost control stuff all hooked up with new vacuum lines. I think I have them set up right. SLODRIVE helped me a lot by taking photos and explaining where the vacuum lines go to.

I'm not sure which canister to use here. The EJ20G one with 2 nipples on top or the EJ22T one with 3 nipples? The EJ20G one is still hooked up like it was when I got the engine. The EJ22T has an extra nipple and check valve. I'm assuming that's somewhat important?

I tried hooking up my throttle cables and found out they don't reach. How do i remedy this? Custom extended mounting bracket? Also, how do I know which cable goes to which part of the throttle?

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd run the ej20g canister. The ej22t canister has an aux purge. That's what the third line is for. I think it's there primarily for emissions reasons. ie US having stricter requirements.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I found the perfect aluminum tubing for extending the Ypipe to reach the turbo! It's about 4" long and 2" outside diameter (1 7/8" ID) and it sells for $3 at autozone in the exhaust section. No trimming necessary! I thought I would have to cut it and bought a sweet hacksaw and pipe cutter just in case and it ended up being the perfect diameter and length. Couldn't believe it.

I used the Tbolt clamp to line up my cut.

I used 65mm Tbolt clamps for everything except the clamp holding the pipe to the intercooler side. That one needed to be a bit larger so I used a 68mm clamp there.

This stupid heater hose wouldn't give me enough room so I removed it. Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

Can someone tell me if I have these heater hoses hooked up correctly? I just guessed on these and used hoses off an NA car so I don't know if they're right.

Finally got some coolant hose and I think my vacuum lines and coolant lines are all hooked up and good to go. I'm not sure though because I have 3 open vacuum ports around the coil on top of the manifold.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Relocated my factory horns behind the grill. Freed up some clutter in the engine bay and they're probably a bit more effective in their new location. I would run hella horns like everyone else but I think they sound like crap. I bought a pair from a member on here and put them on my metro. After a few days I removed them and put the stock horns back on which sucked because I had to solder both times.

Next I'm going to get a new dremel (fried the last one cutting my hood) and cut my grill out and get some of that cool grating, paint it black and attach it to the rear of the grill after I cut out all the lattuce.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The Hella Supertones sound like crap? Why so? I actually just installed a set on my Impreza this past weekend. The stock horn sucks....way too quiet for jack ass houston drivers.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... upertones/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Maybe I had a bad set or something. Just didn't like them. They weren't as loud as I expected and just sounded bad.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Possibly. I absolutely LOVE my Supertones! One of the best purchases I've made for the car.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hmm, interesting. I'd like to hear some on a different car. I just really didn't care for the tone they put out.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Honestly, the "tone" they put out isn't for everyone. I have friends that don't care for the sound of them, but the volume its great!
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I have a 'L' grille, modded similarly to how you're describing. I can't find a pic of it ATM, but I could take one, no problem. It could be for sale if you're interested.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Interesting. What color is it? I'd like to see it. I could be the new owner if it looks good and the price is right ;-)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I went to the junkyard yesterday and got some non-ABS lines out of a 90 L wagon which had cruise control suprisingly. Then when I got home I realized I need the brake master cylinder as well because the SS one only has two lines coming out of it and the non-ABS one has all 4 lines running out of the master cylinder.

So now I'm questioning whether this is worth the effort to get rid of my ABS. Exactly how difficult is it to bleed the brake system with ABS?

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I have a grill like you're describing. Cut out the center member, put dark gray painted hex-cut alloy sheet behind it, and replaced the center emblem with the one from the original steering wheel on a small alloy bracket. When I'm done, it will probably be the only Subaru emblem left on the body or interior. Even the rear tailgate garnish won't say what kind of car it is as the car's name is going on the garnish and the emblem will be one of my own design.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

[quote="kimokalihi"]Interesting. What color is it? I'd like to see it. I could be the new owner if it looks good and the price is right ;-)[/quote]
I couldn't find it. I might've sold it with the wagon. Sorry man.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No problemo.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Bypassed the clutch damper and removed it.

Made a custom heater hose that was long enough to go under the pitch mount on the driver side so it doesn't hit the Ypipe. I also drilled out the holes in the mounting bracket for the pitch mount because the pitch mount was too long. I think this may be because I used the STI group N tranny mount which is shorter and might have caused my engine to lean forward more.

Got some bits and pieces together and plumbed up most of my BPV setup. The intercooler is ready to be mounted permanently!

I need to have someone weld a pipe onto this BPV adapter so it goes 90 degrees out the side to this hose. I don't know who welds aluminum though.

I broke the PCV breather hose and couldn't source one so I got a brass elbow and Home Depot and some 1/2" hose and made my own.

Got the lip on today. It took a bit of heat gun work to get it to fit properly. The sides stuck out pretty far and needed to be heated and bent in. Haven't decided how I want to trim the ends yet but I did have to cut over an inch off just to get it screwed in place.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

looks pretty good man...is the new lip a little too long as it looks like it intrudes into the fender well?
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haven't decided how I want to trim the ends yet but I did have to cut over an inch off just to get it screwed in place.
Yeah they're way too long. I trimmed them a bit but I haven't figured out how I'm going to cut the angle on them yet.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

i would follow the line of the fender well
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got a couple boxes in the mail. One step closer to running.

Quick question on the clutch fluid. This stuff is DOT 4. The brake fluid cap on my car says DOT 3 or DOT 4. The clutch fluid cap says DOT 3 only. Should I go get some DOT 3 fluid from autozone for my clutch or is it safe to use this DOT 4 fluid in my clutch resevoir?

ATE Super Blue brake fluid and Walbro 255 with kit including new filter and harness.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got a kickass drill. The Hitachi DS18DL. Tried getting the DV18DL because it's got the hammer drill feature and 10 year warranty vs 5 year warranty. On the Lowes website it was showing only $199 for the hammer drill and $179 for for the DS18DL without the hammer feature. Turns out the pricing is wrong on the website, the drill is much more expensive than $199 they're showing. On amazon.com it's $235 but I've sene varying prices from different stores as high as $349! Sears has it for like $269. Lowes told me on the phone they don't stock the expensive drills but will special order it for like $369 and it would take 2 weeks! :shock:

I just realized my reciept says $199 so they overcharged me. Time to print out the website and go get my $20 back.

Anyways, I opted to get an expensive drill over a cheaper one because I don't want to have to replace it for a long time and I will use it quite a bit. Especially once I get my own place.

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

You should be fine w/ DOT4. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but the two are compatible w/ the difference being that DOT4 has a higher boiling point.