Cone Filter Adapter Plate

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Cone Filter Adapter Plate

Post by kimokalihi »

Where do you get the adapter plate to bolt up a cone filter to my MAF? I'm going to temporarily run a cone filter...NASIOC classifieds?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Re: Cone Filter Adapter Plate

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Apparently you can get a universal one at Schucks for $10, not sure how that works though...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SiCkSTi04 wrote:something like this?
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/static/ ... p-987.html
Exactly except I don't want to waste $35 on it and then waste more money on a cone filter. I'm looking to get it on the cheap, preferably used although some searching on NASIOC revealed nothing but I'll have to search harder when I have more time.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

kimokalihi wrote:
SiCkSTi04 wrote:something like this?
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/static/ ... p-987.html
Exactly except I don't want to waste $35 on it and then waste more money on a cone filter. I'm looking to get it on the cheap, preferably used although some searching on NASIOC revealed nothing but I'll have to search harder when I have more time.
It might be tough to find anything, WRX intakes are different from ours
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attachmen ... engine.jpg

Notice how the MAF sensor mounts directly to the airbox. So intakes for WRXs come with a separate adapter piece, which might work(not sure if the sensor is the same size) but it's not the same piece as above.

You might be able to have one made, just find a metal plate and drill the holes where you need them and have a short pipe welded on, just a thought.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

try autozone or advance auto. they have them where i live anyway.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

$15 on ebay but I'd have to measure first because it says it's for WRX. There's another one on ebay for 90-07 legacys for $25 shipped. I'm willing to bet if a WRX one will fit I can probably find a cone filter that comes with the adapter plate for the best price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAF-Intake-Adap ... 45ef99e772
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Generic ones can be made to work. You will likely need to modify or redrill the mounting holes where the MAF mounts to it. That's what I did back in 1997 when I first tried putting a cone filter on.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend putting a cone filter on......
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I really do NOT want to put a cone filter on but I have no other choice as far as I can tell. I want my car to run ASAP and if I want it to run I need to throw a cone filter on it for now.

I found the proper twin turbo airbox and MAF that'll fit my under-manifold intake and I'm about to buy it as soon as the guy gets back to me but it's got the JDM JECS MAF and I don't think that'll run right on my stock ECU and the bolt holes won't line up for me to use my EJ22T MAF. Right?

What other choice do I have, if any?
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Why are you guys so against cone filters? I know I don't want one because I like to have my offroad/mud fun sometimes and with my snorkus removed, I really don't want a bunch of mud all over my intake. But aren't they more efficient for flow/power?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Cone filters or Cotton Gauze filters flow more air than OEM paper filters and the result is they allow more unwanted particles through. You also need to clean them regularly and oil them for them to work properly. The oil can get past the filter and into your engine or on your MAF.

The only dyno HP increases I've seen have been in tuner magazines and I'm not going to trust those guys as they're most likely endorsed by companies like K&N.

The people reporting that their car ran better, had more power, better fuel economy, etc are most likely the result of going from a dirty OEM filter to a new filter or it's placebo from the increase in sound they're getting.

I'm not going to go from a perfectly well engineered OEM intake system to a cone filter that breathes in hot air from under the hood, lets more dirt into my engine, increases noise, requires maintenance and runs the risk of fouling up my MAF when there's no gains to be had from it.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ahh i see. Yea I like just using the K&N Flat panel is that what you are planning on using?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm plannin on using OEM filters. But if I can't get my OEM setup finished in time, I might be forced to throw a cone filter on it for a while. Hopefully not. I just bought an OEM twin turbo airbox and matching JECS MAF but I don't think the stock ECU can handle the JECS MAF properly.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ahh i see, ive always used K&N on all of my cars. Is it all talked up? seeing as you plan on using OEM over the K&N?
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Mattheww044 wrote:ahh i see, ive always used K&N on all of my cars. Is it all talked up? seeing as you plan on using OEM over the K&N?
Simple answer, yes. Everything he said previously applies to the K&N panel filter, except the heat thing, in my experience it doesn't get things dirty quite as fast as the cone though, but still more than stock.

Either way it's not a huge deal, you should clean your MAF occasionally if you have a K&N, but other than that it's not gonna make much of a difference either way. Basically you have to decide if the sound is worth cleaning it sometimes, personally I run a K&N panel right now and am gonna get a cone filter(probably HKS) later
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

kimokalihi wrote:Cone filters or Cotton Gauze filters flow more air than OEM paper filters and the result is they allow more unwanted particles through. You also need to clean them regularly and oil them for them to work properly. The oil can get past the filter and into your engine or on your MAF.

The only dyno HP increases I've seen have been in tuner magazines and I'm not going to trust those guys as they're most likely endorsed by companies like K&N.

The people reporting that their car ran better, had more power, better fuel economy, etc are most likely the result of going from a dirty OEM filter to a new filter or it's placebo from the increase in sound they're getting.

I'm not going to go from a perfectly well engineered OEM intake system to a cone filter that breathes in hot air from under the hood, lets more dirt into my engine, increases noise, requires maintenance and runs the risk of fouling up my MAF when there's no gains to be had from it.
i have to completely disagree with you on that one. our stock intakes are full off elbows, reducers and small i.d pipe.

i had very noticeable gains and a way smoother acceleration through the power band after going from a K&N panel filter to a 14" k&n cone. Even cutting the backside of my airbox out beefed things up. i didnt have better fuel economy, but i was spooling faster and was enjoying the new power, whistle and torque alot so i can see why my fuel economy was down.

if you look at a panel filter after a few months of driving, it will be very dirty in a 3" spot in the part of the filter closest to the maf. that tells me it's inefficent.

Last edited by RJ93SS on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

What about just snagging the crappy aluminum maf sensore from a junk yard and making one yourself? there are non turbo aluminum maf sensors out there.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

cj91legss wrote:What about just snagging the crappy aluminum maf sensore from a junk yard and making one yourself? there are non turbo aluminum maf sensors out there.
thats not a bad idea, reverse it, cut it to desired length and there is our adaptor.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Yeah, after all the aluminum N/A Maf is worthless to the turbo legacy guys and they can be had at the junk yard for 20-40 bucks.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Now I have an excuse to go to the junkyard this weekend, good idea, I should be able to get one for ~$5
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I had to think about that for a while. Couldn't picture what you were talking about but I think you're saying the filter will fit over the pipe section of the MAF? Sounds good. I actually have a spare plastic one but metal would be better. That is a pretty good temp solution though, thanks.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

kimokalihi wrote:I had to think about that for a while. Couldn't picture what you were talking about but I think you're saying the filter will fit over the pipe section of the MAF? Sounds good. I actually have a spare plastic one but metal would be better. That is a pretty good temp solution though, thanks.
He's saying to chop up a spare MAF. The idea is that it will bolt onto the MAF you have now and have a short pipe section sticking out to put the filter on. Not sure if that's what you were picturing or if you're thinking just of cutting off the end of the MAF and using that(which I suppose would also work)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol no I was thinking exactly what you said. Spare MAF, cut the end off, flip it around, bolt it to my MAF and clamp a filter to the tube.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Apex3 wrote:
kimokalihi wrote:I had to think about that for a while. Couldn't picture what you were talking about but I think you're saying the filter will fit over the pipe section of the MAF? Sounds good. I actually have a spare plastic one but metal would be better. That is a pretty good temp solution though, thanks.
He's saying to chop up a spare MAF. The idea is that it will bolt onto the MAF you have now and have a short pipe section sticking out to put the filter on. Not sure if that's what you were picturing or if you're thinking just of cutting off the end of the MAF and using that(which I suppose would also work)

That works too, been running a cone filter on a chopped maf for 3 years now
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sweet!