Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Sounds good thanks.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

DOT 4 should be fine. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point, but it also absorbs moisture more readily than DOT 3, which is why they may recommend DOT 3. Either way, you'll be fine with DOT 4.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Made some progress yesterday!

Machine shop wanted $70 to modify my BPV adapter plate by cutting the pipe off of it and welding a threaded tube into it and selling me a 90 degree brass pipe to thread into it. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money for someone to do something I'd rather do myself. Plus the tools I bought to do the job I'll probably end up using again some time down the road.

Had some 1/4" aluminum left from when I fabricated the throttle body spacer. 3/4" brass pipe from Lowes in the plumbing section. 3/4" tap. Also 3/4" Hitachi metal bit from lowes (not pictured). WRX ebay BPV adapter plate for reference. Came with a plastic plug that doesn't even come close to fitting in. CAn only guess it goes in a large hose for some reason. Also came with a threaded tube about 1" long. Not idea what that's for.

Done cutting and sanding.

Test fit. Only bolts I could find were left over from my EJ20H throttle body and they were way too long.

Badass hacksaw I just got.

Turns out not only are the bolts too long but the threading stops way too soon and after cutting a couple I realized they wouldn't go in far enough so I had to take my die tool and run the threads up to the head. Then cut them to length with the hacksaw. Worked excellent.

Intercooler is all plumbed up. All the T-Bolt clamps are tight and the new BPV plate is bolted down tight. Airtight, I hope.

Walbro 255 with GC install kit $95 shipped http://www.walbro255.com/255-lph-high-p ... 59801.html

This rubber vibration isolator pad was the only thing that wasn't bolt on. Had to cut a good chunk out of it to get it to fit in the bracket but it worked out well. I checked the resistance in on the fuel float while it was out. 52ohms all the way down and 2ohms all the way up. Looks to me like it's going to function just fine although I don't know the specs.

Also put in about 5 quarts of 10w30 Mobil1 Fully Synthetic oil, found a battery in the garage and cranked it over to see if the starter would work. It did. No spark plugs and the engine harness is not plugged in but it cranked.

Started to pull my door handles to install my white ones I bought but then I realized they're aspen white and my car is pearl white so it looked terrible. Oh well I just pulled the passenger front handle and I'll take the lock in to get my new key made and several spare cheap ones.

I also filled my clutch reservoir with ATE super blue brake fluid. My clutch is not functioning though. If I push it in it shoots straight to the floor like it's spring loaded like a compound bow. If I pull on it it shoots back up all the way but there's no middle ground. It's either up or down and it's not moving the clutch fork at all.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93GCsedan
First Gear

Post by 93GCsedan »

Did you bleed the clutch?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Negative on bleeding the clutch although I will when I have my intercooler off again to swap in my TD05 18g :)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Here's a few pictures of my modified 3" bellmouth downpipe after I had the exhaust shop weld in a couple O2 bungs at the top and a hi-flow cat. Plus brand new TD05 18g from Spencer. Still looking for injectors since I got sniped on ebay at the last second. GRRRR!

Also got some Reline 75w90NS tranny/diff gear oil from amazon.com.

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Downpipe looks good Kimo. Attack the rest of the exhaust yet?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

As soon as the car is running I'm throwing that downpipe on after heat wrapping it and silicone spraying the wrap and cruising down to the exhaust shop that put that cat in for me and they're going to throw together my resonator, 3" piping and the bosal twin tip! It's gonna be sweet. But before I can do that, I have to repin my ECU connector, hook up my new EJ20G ECU with rob's tune and go pick up my downpipe from performance coatings after they're done ceramic coating it.

I've got an Innovate LC-1 wideband in the mail along with 2 G3 Innovate gauges (AFR and boost) along with an OEM Bosch O2 sensor. Also have an optima red top coming and I'm getting my turbo exhaust housing coated with ceramic at grimmspeed and a heat blanket for my turbo.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Woah! Slow down buddy you're gonna pass me ;p
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i need your job.....
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haha. I'm on my third loan. But they're hiring at my work, just gotta have table games experience and a license. To be honest though, the job is a real bitch if you're not into people constantly bitching at you and watching people throw their lives away.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

so kimo, about your fuel rails, did you use the JDM Rails that came with your injectors? If so, you know how each rail has 2 12MM Bolts that holt the rails to the intake manifold? On the Legacy turbo rails and manifold those rails had like a 1/4" thick washer between the rail and the manifold. Are the JDM rails supposed to be like that as well? Specifically meaning the 20H Mani and Rails, i can't rememer if they were on mine or not when i started taking my engine apart and i don't have them installed now... i just thought about this today too so im hoping that could be a partial reason why im not getting my car started.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have no idea. I used the EJ20G rails that were stock on the EJ20G manifold/engine. I never took them off or apart, nor paid much attention to them. Do you have a picture of what you're talking about? I'm about to go over to my parent's house now and I might install my new yellowtop 565s so I'll take a look and perhaps some pictures as well.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

ok, no pics but On the fuel rails you have the 2 bolts holes for the 12mm bolts. underneath those bolt holes there is usually a 1/4 " metal washer between the fuel rail bolt holes and the manifold. check to see if your 20 g setup has that....

also do you have any more 20h/g heads?
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope, the only heads I have left is 1 set of EJ22T heads. Traded the 20H heads to Spencer.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Swapped my stock swaybar out for a 20mm WRX wagon front swaybar. I'll replace the bushings later, just wanted to get it on so I could sell the front swaybar.

Top = 91 SS Stock 18mm
Bottom = WRX Wagon Stock 20mm

Dirty bar is the 91 SS bar.

Finally got a battery for my car. Optima Red Top with the sideposts so I can easily mount my amp for my speakers.

Cheap Sceptre cone filter (temporary), JECS MAF, STI 565s, sweet razor blade dispenser with 100 blades!

Broke it immediately after snapping this shot. Dropped the stupid thing on the floor and the case snapped and I had 100 razor blades on my floor. Luckily it was mainly in about 5 chunks because they have a bit of oil on them to help them stick together and slide out easily. Still sucks though, WTF do you do with 100 razor blades? How am I supposed to store those now?

I was hoping STI yellowtops would drop right into JDM EJ20G rails. I was wrong. Doesn't look like they're interchangeable at all. Awesome. Guess who gets to take his intake manifold off again. Shoot me in the face.

Cheap cone filter does not fit in engine bay. I don't want to trim that hose or it won't reach when I get my EJ20G airbox.

Clutch bleed = EPIC FAIL

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

All in all, shitty night workin on my car. Lot of disappointment. 3 hours and basically all I got done was swap swaybars and that only took like 15 mins. Getting sick and tired of it. Coming up on 2 years of this BS and it's getting old. I cannot wait til it runs just so I can stop dealing with this crap for a while.

I'm gonna play some video games.
Timo
First Gear

Post by Timo »

Whoo, what a project kimo!

Understand that their must be a lot of disappointments, but you know where you do it for!
A bad ass Legacy on the road!!

Keep the good work, your already so far! :D

Good luck!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks Timo.

Now I need to figure out what rails I need for these injectors.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

yeah kimo, keep the faith man! your legacy will be worth it in the end. it is looking great so far!
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Kimo dont take your manifold off!! Its easy to swap injectors/rails. I've already popped mine off twice. Go find some n/a rails at pull-a-part. Cost me $30. Remove the caps off the top of the yellow inj. and they pop right in. The rails pop right out once you remove the 6 bolts. pm me and ill walk you trough it.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, thank God. When I looked at mine it looked like the metal line off the rail went under the manifold meaning I'd have to remove the manifold to remove the hard lines with the rails. I didn't look that closely at them though since I was pissed off and really wanted nothing to do with it at the time.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

ok haha
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I've got some n/a rails, if you need them.
I'm really looking for a reason to come see your car.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haha, I will take them. How much you want? You can come see my car if you want. Weds thurs I'm off which would be best for me.