kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Picked up my downpipe from Performance Coatings up in Auburn, WA. They did a good job.

Got a package from amazon.com today. New Bosch OEM O2 sensor.

Innovate LC-1 Wideband and Innovate G3 AFR and Boost gauges.

Stopped by Delta Cams on the way to Auburn and bought some NA fuel rails from BeaterSubie (Stephen). Hopefully this will make for an easy swap to drop in my 565s.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Wed May 26, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I was just looking at the placement of those O2 bungs and realized I had them put one in the main stream and the other is behind the wastegate. I'm thinking I should have had that one down stream more so it would be right in the middle of the pipe. Will it be ok here? Should I put the wideband in the middle and put the OEM in the side bung? Is it going to make that big of a difference?

I asked the guy at Performance Coatings if it would be a good idea to wrap the downpipe with fiberglass heat wrap and spray it with silicone wrap sealer and he said with your hand only a couple inches away from the pipe you shouldn't be able to feel any heat. I'm going to install it and test it out first.

Do you think it's a good idea to do both ceramic and heat wrap? I asked GrimmSpeed when I sent them my turbo exhaust housing if I should use a turbo heat blanket over the ceramic coating and they said yes.
The combination of the heat blanket and our coating is a great option. You get the best of both worlds and only continue to help prevent heat soak in the engine bay.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

I love your pictures. lol.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks. I try to take good clear pictures but usually the lighting is terrible and the flash is overexposed. Using a Canon SD790is point and shoot. It's nice for simple pictures and I love it for what it is but it's no Nikon Digital SLR.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I wish I was within earshot of Delta.

I just found out someone makes a blanket for my turbo. I'll have to add it to the (long) list.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Delta is probably 45 mins from here if traffic is good which it was today since I left at 11:30am instead of 2pm.

This blanket doesn't look nearly as effective as the T3/T4 blankets because they don't have the big exhaust housing with the internal wastegate so they can wrap right around the whole housing and this one just wraps around the majority of it and not the mounting flang or center bearing section.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That downpipe looks great! How much did they charge you to coat it (if you don't mind)? I think the ECU O2 sensor should be the farthest downstream and wideband sensor should be in the main exhaust stream. My thought is that there is always exhaust flowing through the turbo but not always through the wastegate.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

With Rob's Tuned ECU I'm not sure how important the OEM O2 sensor will be. I just wonder how much of a difference it's going to see when the wastegate is open and closed.

The downpipe was $100 including them welding up a crack that had formed where the mounting bracket is that bolts it to the transmission or wherever that bracket bolts to.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Video coming as soon as I can compress and upload it!

Between the excitement of hearing my baby run for the first time ever and not going to bed last night at all, I'm shaking. I still can't believe it started up and didn't even throw any codes. Granted I only ran it for maybe 20 seconds tops.

HOLY SHIT sums it up quite well. I'm ready for my Rob Tuned EJ20G ECU, TD05 and 565s now. The little test run was just with TD04, 440s and stock ECU and MAF.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

COngrats man im stoked!! now get that thing on the road i want to hear driving vids.. it sounds real mean!!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

good deal man... congrats
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

"Nice!"
Pretty much sums it up.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Good job Kimo.

Light at the end of the tunnel?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks guys. It does sound mean but this is with only a downpipe. Still gotta put the resonator on and 3" piping to bosal twin tip muffler.

There's actually still a lot of work to be done on it before can drive it. I almost took it for a drive today but remembered my clutch is not working for whatever reason and I have to figure that out. Then, ECU, patch harness+ignitors, injectors, turbo, manual boost controller, bleed the brakes, etc etc. Finally light at the end of the tunnel, yes.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Sounds MEAN. Congrats!

*errr*
Reading would be great. Even with resonator and muffler, it'll probably still sound pretty mean... just a little more mellow. Hopefully mine starts up as easily as yours did.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah, I have no idea how I got that all right as spread out as the whole project has been. Still need to pull the plugs, gap them and install the NGK wires I have.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hit up the junkyard today while I was all zombied out on no sleep. Scored a JECS MAF off an NA legacy (not autronics this time but JECS). Now I have 4 MAF's. 2 JECS, 1 Autronics and one EJ22T Hitachi MAF.

Also found 4 mudflaps off a 94LS but those morons put the car down on one of the mudflaps so it was smashed. Ended up grabbing the rear ones but I don't know if I'll use them or not.

Found a spare tire from an NA wagon that looks brand new compared to my flat rusted spare. Problem is, I don't have the piece that holds it in place. I have the bolt but not the plate. Plus I found a good condition carpet for my trunk. Just needs to dry out since the spare tire well was a small pond.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Can somebody tell me where this vacuum line goes to off the fuel rail on the passenger side. What is that round thing, must be a solenoid of some sort? I had no idea where it went so I just ran a vacuum line to it from the top of the manifold.

Freshly coated down pipe installed with new Bosch OEM sensor.

Test fit PTP turbo heat blanket.

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That is the fuel pressure regulator. The vacuum line runs right to a nipple (giggity) on the manifold on the EJ22. That needs to be connected to manifold vacuum.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So any old vacuum line will work fine? Cool, thanks.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Turbo exhaust housing came back already from GrimmSpeed. That was a quick turnaround. I'm ready to install the TD05 now and the injectors. Just waiting on the ECU and patch harness and ignitors.

madmallard
In Neutral

Post by madmallard »

DO NOT put that carpet in your car!!

Not until after you've completely [b]disinfected it![/b] stagnant water and soggy fibrous material spread mold! If the carpet will fit in the clothes washer, throw it in with a light bleaching to disinfect it.

if not, clean off a driveway, get a pressure washer and a mold-killing cleaner in the tank, like what you'd use on a deck or something.

I'd hate for you to put that in your project only to start getting smelly, and then the back seat get fuzzy after a good rainy day.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Good point, thanks! It's sitting in my room right now drying out. I just felt it, it's completely dry now. The whole time I was at the junkyard I had it hanging off a car in the sun. But, you're right I should wash it. It smells a little nasty.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Anybody have any thoughts on the O2 and Wideband sensor locations?