Post by Smithcraft »

That's an impressive bit of work!

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

I decided to convert the stock shifter into an adjustable throw short shifter. I just drilled and tapped the shifter where the plastic ball used to be, I used 3/8-16. I got a piece of allthread and double nutted it into the threads I just cut as tight as I could. then I pressed some nuts into the plastic spherical bushing and the 3/8-16 nuts fit great. nice tight press fit but not too tight. I pressed one all the way to the middle and one I left sticking out so it would have wrench faces to secure the spherical bushing. I haven't installed it yet so I'll have to play with the adjustment to see how short I can get the shifts and where it feels the best. if It turns out i decreased the leverage ratio by too much then I'll just cut some off of the shifter where the allthread goes in.

1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Nice! Curious to find out how well this works.

Good job!
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

I had to cut off part of the shifter end to increase the ratio. the shift rod was raised up too high and was hitting the trans tunnel causing somewhat of a bind. I ended up with about 1/2" additional length between the spherical bushing and the center pivot. It's noticably shorter for sure. However I am still not quite happy with the shifter feel so I will probably be getting the poly bushing and making a plastic bushing for the rear body mount like i had on my old car.
206er
Fifth Gear

Re: Saving a 1993 Touring Wagon

Post by 206er »

AWIC and VF10 in and running. pretty tough install. the cars been down for months. definitely not into doing anymore mods for a while.
Charge pipe is a silicone straight 2" coupler, a chunk of 2" pipe with a hose barb epoxied into it, a 2" 90* elbow, and 4 t bolt clamps. BOV piping is done with 3/4" clear plastic tubing and elbows.
PCV system is reworked a bit with 3/4" clear plastic tubing at the block to extend the F pipe up, and the large metal crossover pipe from a wrx between the heads and intake.
coolant tank is relocated(again :evil: ) to the front passenger side of the engine. the mount is a piece of aluminum angle.
the pump is from http://www.frozenboost.com and is a rule 401C. i tried to use an auxiliary pump from a mercedes but it was broken or something and i said screw it. dont want that kraut junk in my car anyway.
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info ... 6d1445f0c4

sliced the bumper beam to fit my core. used a metal blade in a worm drive saw and an angle grinder for the tight spots.

the radiator was the only easy part of the project. it's from an AWIC equipped car and bolted straight in!!! too easy

more pics later
206er
Fifth Gear

Re: Saving a 1993 Touring Wagon

Post by 206er »

the timing belt snapped the other day while I was on the west seattle bridge. was able to coast into the parking lot of a business down on 1st. then while I was figuring out how to get it back home, the car was towed. $312 and a scary tow strap ride home Ive got it blown apart again. seems like i only get to drive it for a couple hundred miles here and there before something else surfaces. the timing belt shows a good amount of cracking so I should have got at it while i could have done so on my own terms. the water pump was beyond thrashed and leaking heavily. it's got a good 6mm of play at the propeller. should have it back together within the next couple days then I am likely going to be putting the car up for sale.
on a slightly more positive note I took a nice long, beautiful drive up to La Push for my dad's birthday over 4th of july weekend. the car ran great except for coolant leaks, and returned 24.99mpg with quite a bit of time on boost and 100mph 4 car passes. very enjoyable drive.