kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by PhyrraM »

[quote="kimokalihi"] Amazon.com but I sent it to PhyrraM and he changed a few pins and added the ingitors and supplied me with an extra ignitor with the wires soldered into it to make it all work with my new ECU. [/quote]

Your welcome. I always wanted to do a better write up on the 4 channel conversion. You just provided me a bit of motivation. I didn't think of it at the time, but put a dab of electrical tape over the ends of the 3 open wires when you install it. You can clip the 2 yellow wires on the igniter connectors, they are not needed. In fact if you look at the end of the igniters, they don't even have a pn in that location.

[quote="kimokalihi"]Amazon.com but I sent it to PhyrraM and he changed a few pins and added the ingitors and supplied me with an extra ignitor with the wires soldered into it to make it all work with my new ECU.[/quote]

Thanks! They are more expensive, but so much more reliable. Even more reliable than soldering, from my experience.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Very interesting. Soldering has never failed me before but I've never soldered an ECU harness. Well actually I have, just nowhere near the ECU but same thing I supposed. I've soldered the wires to the MAF, Knock sensor, Ignitor, injectors, coolant temp, crank sensor, etc. Pretty much all the engine connectors I had to rewire haha. Soldered them all and they seem to be working perfectly.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Soldering is usually just fine, especially whan properly heat-shrinked. The (minor) risk is that under severe vibration soldering can be too rigid, and can cause a 'clean' break (kinda like glass) when it reaches the point of failure. A crimp does not solidify the wire, so the strain of vibration can be dissapated by the flex in the wire.

Either way, the difference is minor. With proper support of the wire harness it becomes a non-issue anyways.

Get your boost controller on there, plug in Rob's ECU and REPORT!!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I will do that in the next couple days hopefully. I'm anxious to get it on, believe me. But I don't have a lot of time on days I work. Today I was at the junkyard and the auto parts store and picked up the heli-coil kit I need to fix that stupid stripped bolt hole for the trans crossmember.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Shit. I have a fuel leak somewhere. I don't think it's under the hood because I started smelling it today really strong inside the car and I lifted the hood and stuck my head in there and couldn't smell any fuel around the engine. I removed the fuel pump cover and didn't smell any down in there. Maybe the other cover but I didn't have time to check because I had to leave for work.

Any ideas where the leak could be to smell it so strong inside the car only? The lines run under the car so the only place that seems likely is the 2 covers over the tank but even those have gaskets so I wouldn't think any fumes could get through those covers. This is not cool.

I think I also have a wheel bearing going out. Sounds like right rear and it's getting louder every time I drive it. It's usually only audible when I let off the gas a little bit and swerving back and fourth doesn't change the noise at all.

I should call Jake up and see how much to replace one or all the wheel bearings. I think there's 2 per wheel right? Inner and outer or maybe it was one bearing and an inner and outer seal. I remember the dealership quoting me a couple years ago $1,400 for all four and les schwab wanted $700 and I just hit up the junkyard for $75 I got 3 hub assemblies and just swapped them out.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

i had the same exact problem cost me more than 10004 box was the fuel tank
anyway short story i end up getting the wrong gas tank and i could not excahnge it subarupart ban for me
look for your gaz tank
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

i cannot edit my post???? sorry a lot of bad spelling ahaha

anyway it was under these cover you talk about.
i had to rebuild the old one just hope this gonna hold for a while
so if anyone look for fwd legacy fuel tank let me know : (
i just took to long before installing the tank and i could not send it back even if its brand new

was my first experience on the car and buying over internet.
rebuild and istalling cost me 550$ here in quebec
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I remember that. Shitty deal. I dunno if it's the tank. Like I said I removed the cover and couldn't smell gas under there but inside the car it's strong. It's so strong that I can't even smell the dead mouse in my HVAC anymore! And that shit smells nasty.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Wasn't nearly as strong on the ride home (which meant the dead mouse smell was back) but when I parked my car, went in the house and came back out I could smell the gas once I got within 10 feet of the car.

Wheel bearing (I hope) is louder than ever.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Only with throttle? Might be the carrier bearing that supports the prop shaft.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

hey kimo i think on page 27 you mentioned stripping your diff bolt? If you're talking about the rear diff, i got the complete cover with bolts in my scrap metal pile. (blown diff)
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I stripped the inside of the fill plug. I put the 1/2" breaker bar in it and cranked on it as hard as I could and it stripped out the inside. I already ordered a new one from subaru. Is it perhaps a different size than the 1/2" breaker bar? Maybe 13mm or something?

Thanks Florin but I shouldn't need it I hope. I would have just taken one off a car at the junkyard but I felt bad doing that to a perfectly good diff. Imagine how pissed you would be if you bought a rear diff and it was missing the fill plug.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I found the leak. It's the gasket for the fuel pump access hole. It's my fault for being lazy and not wanting to destroy those old hoses. When I put the walbro 255 pump in I hooked up the hoses and realized I had forgotten the rubber gasket. The hoses were a major PITA the get off and on so I decided instead of removing them again I would just cut the gasket and that allowed me to install the gasket without removing the hoses. Doesn't look like it worked very well though and now I have to get a new gasket and remove the hoses anyway. At first I thought the tank was leaking all over the place and I just laid my head down under the car, closed my eyes and wished I was somewhere else.

All that fuel leaked in 5 mins or less of pulling it into the garage. I just filled it up and I got over 23MPG with that fuel leak and the wrong ECU.

Looks like the gasket for the trans drain plug is leaking a bit too. Not much though because the dip stick still reads full.

My Z4 EJ20G Rob Tuned ECU. I was going to install it but there's a nut holding it in that's pretty much unreachable up in the dash. Most ridiculous mounting location I've ever seen. It almost looks easier to remove the whole dash (which I'm about to do anyways to clean out my HVAC) to gain acess to it.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

For the future, get a set of hose hooks—they're like awls of different sizes with the ends bent in various angles and hooks. You sneak them between the hose and fitting and slide it around the circumference to break the seal. If they're really stubborn, you can shoot some penetrant in between the hose and fitting as you do it.

I recommend wearing some kind of breathing mask when getting that rodent out. We had one die in a head end a couple years ago and the smell alone was giving people nausea and headaches. It might be overkill, but it might save you getting sick. I use a surplus Israeli gas mask I bought, somewhat obviously, from a military surplus store. Replacement filters are pretty reasonable and the mask was cheaper than the stuff they sell at hardware stores. Also good for halloween, pranks, and fetish clubs (though I find it uncomfortable for long periods, especially in the heat of a club environment).
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

And just think, I'm driving around in this car breathing that shit in the whole time and the last two days breathing fuel fumes as well. Awesome. I left the subaru on jackstands in the garage and picked up my metro again. Finally have music again.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got start on fixing my dead rodent problem. It was smelling worse than before. Especially once I started to take the HVAC system apart.

Somewhere in all that shit is a family of mice. I removed 5 or 6 of them from that mess and from inside the condenser box. The largest one already had a team of maggots eating it. At this point I was gagging and nearly dry heaving. No joke. So I put on a mask and sprayed down the mice with brake cleaner to kill the maggots. It's making me sick just thinking about them. I had a headache from the smell of those mice.

There's a bulb missing, what is it for?

I found out why my dash lighting wasn't working. All the backlighting bulbs are burnt out.

Then I found this thing on the roof of my car with all these little things crawling all over it. I think they're babies but they could be mites I suppose. I moved it outside the garage because I didn't like the idea of it being on top of the car with me inside and the sunroof and windows open. A few mins later I found it on the windshield. I put it back outside and checked on it later and it was gone again but I'm not sure where this time.

Installed my EJ20G ecu. The mounting is completely different. Does it have to be bolted in? It doesn't fit right at all. Can I just shove it up there and call it good or does it need to be grounded by bolting it to the metal bracket?

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

thats too bad man, hopefully you get it all cleaned out good... you could just hit up the junk yard and get all the hvac shit you need... then you don't have to deal with cleaning it.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The EJ20G ECU, in the Impreza it comes from, mounts under the floor board.

You can try a few things.

1. Cut the arms off of the ECU and shove it up in the factory location. Wrap it with a bit of foam or something to keep it secure,

2. See if the EJ20G ECU board fits into a '92-'94 normally aspirated JECS ECU case. If it does fit, then you can mount the hybrid in the stock location.

Good luck with the clean-up. That's some NASTY crap. Check all your wiring while the dash is off, mice have been known to eat it or use it for nesting material.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Jesus Christ! If that happens to Duchess, I'm quitting my job and becoming an exterminator. I don't smell anything or see any signs, but I suppose that doesn't mean they're not there.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Those are, easily, the most gross, disgusting photos, of car parts, on any forum, ever.

Replace with JY parts is a good idea, but they may have also been a habitat.
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

That is a little more than disgusting, glad I haven't ate anything yet today. I would either take everything apart as much as possible and clean it many times over, or go source some junkyard HVAC parts. Nice progress, hopefully that ECU fixes your uber rich conditions.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I would have paid someone to replace all those parts for me. Actually, I have most of them already.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Junkyard was the plan but just for the blower motor and housing and the condenser housing. I'm ditching the condenser so I need to plug up the holes in the back somehow. I also need to weld up the hole in the firewall. I've decided to completely rid the car of AC. Too much work to get it working again. Do you think it's safe to weld the hole closed with the carpet and factory sound deadening still in there? I have no experience welding but I think my step dad has a lincoln wire feed I can use. Too bad all the legacy's had AC or I would just get a box from one that didn't and wouldn't have to seal up any holes. Do I still need that drain hose that comes off the bottom of the condenser box and through the floor?

I am still baffled as to how those bastards got into the blower motor. Blows my mind (lol).

I got my new speedo cable today and rear diff fill plug.

37410AA061 Speedo Cable T/M
37410AA181 Speedo Cable Gauge Cluster Side
807025010 Rear Diff Fill Plug

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

evolutionmovement wrote:I would have paid someone to replace all those parts for me. Actually, I have most of them already.
I'm tight on cash right now and even if I wasn't, I would never pay someone to work on my car. Well, maybe in a few rare cases but I really hate to do that.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I doubt I'd even find anyone who would take that job. I'd probably part the car out in that case. I give you credit for getting in there and cleaning that shit out. I wouldn't even try to save myself if I had something that disgusting inside of me. I recommend soaking everything you can in some kind of cleaning solution for a while as sometimes those smells can get absorbed into plastic and it would suck to put everything back together and still smell it.

What if you just plugged the holes with some rubber grommets? Some of the better hardware stores have different sizes that might fit. I suppose, you can get them online, too.