kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Mattheww044 wrote:holy crap, just saw the mice pics! thats crazy! apparently they like your car even more than you do! haha
You bet your ass I'm going. Why do you think I've been working so hard on it lately? Are you going?

What is a "bright button"?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Are you kidding me, no bright button in usdm?

Mine is below the heater controls.
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol We didn't get that clock. Instead we have a cup holder that comes out right there. I'd love to have a clock but I'd rather have a cup holder. I should find an OEM clock and insert it into the gauge cluster bezel above those two heater vents in the center. That would be a cool mod.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sticking with this car's One-Problem-After-The-Next theme, I replaced my fuel pump gasket thinking it was the cause of my fuel leak and I started up the car to find the tank was leaking even worse than before and it's not leaking from the fuel pump hole. It's either a fuel line, filler neck or the tank itself is leaking. I can't tell where it's coming from. I can't believe this shit.

I just lost all motivation. I'm so sick of being crammed under the god damn car getting dirt in my eyes and cramping up my muscles and muscle fatigue from holding shit up with limited room for range of motion.

I bought a M12x1.25 tap and cleaned up the threads for the trans mount and it's all bolted back up with a new bolt. Worked great. I also installed one of my JECS MAFs so I'm ready to go with my new ECU. Well I was ready to go until I started up the car and saw the fuel leak.
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Where is the fuel beneath the car? If it's behind the right rear wheel, I would look at the filler neck. I can't remember if the leggy has a plastic cover around the pipe like the impreza do, but mine was filled with all kinds of crap and the pipe had a big hole in it.
It leaked 10-15 oz of gas in no time if I filled the tank completely but would then stop. I had no problems with fumes inside the car.
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is there a way to check the filler neck without removing the tank? I would estimate it dumped out about 12oz+ of fuel in only a minute.
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

Ok so i just installed a walbro 255fp in my 91ss and i have the same exact problem your having kimo out of the same exact place. I just cant pinpoint where its coming from. It cant be the filler neck because it wasn't leaking under the tank before the fp install. Anyone got any ideas?
2005 STi (500WHP with "SlowSTi" as the license plate lol (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Legacy ss JDM EJ20G swap with STi goodies (DD)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Really? That's terrible. I feel your paint, seriously. Doesn't it make you furious? I was so excited to drive the car with the new ECU in and was pushing the floor jack under the back to get it off the jackstands and then I got cock blocked.

Do you think it's the tank or the lines or the filler neck? It's got to be one of those 3 things right? Could it be the extra pressure from the pump (does the pump create pressure in the tank?) have broke the tank or popped a line off? God I want this fixed and I really do not want to replace the tank or even drop it since it requires removal of the exhaust, rear diff, driveshaft, sub frame, etc etc. Not only that but I just did this a few months ago!!!!!!!
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

I found where mine is coming from. It sure is the middle line going to the fuel pump. Its leaking on the other end. I really don't want to take the gas tank out. Im almost positive its the same problem with yours. What happened here is that our cars haven't been ran in soo long and the fact that they are so old that as soon as you tamper with the lines they begin to leak. I swear im half tempted to cut a little bit of the hole out and replace them because its a pain taking out the gas tank. Take a good flash light turn on the car with the fp hole uncovered and then peak down where the lines go and im almost positive that they are the lines. Let me know what you come up with.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I looked in there with a light and couldn't see anything. Maybe I'll look again. Can you actually see where those lines connect under the car through the access hole? I'm thinking it's those lines too. Probably the return line has come loose or broken. If I replace one hose I'm replacing them all. They're all hacked up at the ends where they connect to the pump nipples (nipple pumps lolz) from taking them on and off and using random tools like screwdrivers and pliers to get them off. They really need to be replaced. I do not see it possible to replace them without dropping the tank unfortunately. If I replace these lines and it still leaks I'm going to lose my fucking mind.

I started it up today to get under there with a light and see if I can find the leak. It's definitely not the filler neck because that's on the opposite side of the tank and it's all dry over there.

Do you guys think it's possible to lower the tank enough to replace the lines without removing the tank or emptying it? I just filled it up before parking it with a whole tank of premium fuel! We're talking $55 worth of fuel.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

I remember when I installed my Walbro....

I know this sounds simple, but do you think that when you pulled out the old pump, you may have pulled the lines too hard and they either cracked or got pulled apart since they are so old?

I know it seems silly, but do the lines have clamps on them? If so, do they need to be replaced? Maybe they can't close up tight enough to create a good seal around the lines.

I know this probably doesn't help, but I figured it might be something simple being overlooked.
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The lines at the pump are fine. They seem to be leaking on the other end at the hard lines.
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

Thats what im talking about. On my car it was the middle line that was leaking.

kimokalihi wrote:The lines at the pump are fine. They seem to be leaking on the other end at the hard lines.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is that the return line? Did you car still run good?
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

It ran good but i did notice the smell coming out of the cabin when i was driving it. Also the first time i filled up with the fp install i noticed that the gas gauge was going down like crazy i was like it must be because of the bigger fp with no tune. Yesterday i took the back seats out and turned on the car to see where it was leaking and i looked under the car and it was leaking fuel like crazy. I looked down the access hole and realized it was the return like that was causing all of this.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I pulled my old tank out of the barn and looked at where those lines go to and it turns out they're not very long at all. I turned the car on and took a better look (I was looking in the wrong direction last time) in the access hole and I saw a strong stream of fuel shooting out of the hose that's closest to the back seat. It's missing a hose clamp :shock: I feel pretty stupid putting that tank in my car and not noticing a hose clamp missing. I think I can get away with just dropping the tank a bit and replacing all the lines and putting a proper clamp on that hose.

I could be driving my car again soon! With 18lbs of boost weeee.
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

How bad is pulling the tank out on one of these cars? Ive never done it on a legacy...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Bad. Probably my least favorite thing to do on the car. You have to remove the exhaust, rear diff, sub frame, driveshaft and then the tank. It's not fun.

I'm thinking there's enough room to drop the tank an inch or so without removing any of that stuff. Just gotta get a wrench up there and remove the two bolts that hold the two straps in place on the front side of the tank. I'm going to attempt this today. I'll report back with my results.
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

ok cool let me know if you get to them or not lol.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Fuel leak FIXED! I unbolted the crossmember that holds the rear diff in place on that driveshaft end to get a little more room above it for easier access to the two bolts holding the two straps on the front end of the tank. Then I let it down all the way with the jack. Pulled the hose off from the inside and cut a new hose a little bit longer for extra measure and found a hose clamp for it. Done deal. Not a drop on the floor that I could see. I'm not sure if dropping the tank actually helped or not though. the tank came down a bit but also forward so that may not have helped at all. I would try it without dropping the tank first.

You said it was the center hose though right? Because that hose had a hose clamp on it that had a phillips head on it so that would not be accessable without dropping the tank all the way. If you have one of those clamps I would try cutting the hose off and get a pliers in there and try to rip that clamp off the line. Maybe try to cut the hose out from inside of the clamp first.

Good luck!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Now that I fixed the fuel leak I now have a new set of problems. :roll:

I installed the Hallman Manual Boost Controller and took the car for a spin. Started off at the recommended starting point of 3/4" on the screw and that was about 12lbs of boost. I adjusted it 2 more times and I was making 18lbs of boost. Then my boost gauge went to 0 and wasn't moving. I assumed the hose had come off so I pulled over and sure enough it had popped off. Not a very good coupler. I put it back on and zip tied it nice and tight this time. It's staying on and I'm still making 18lbs of boost but now the check engine light is flashing constantly. Rob's ECU tune had a knock light feature that uses the check engine light to indicate when the ECU sees engine knock. I didn't notice it until after the hose blew off the boost gauge line which is coming off the manifold teed into the line that goes to my BPV. It could have been flashing before the hose came off and I was probably just not paying attention to it because I was watching the AFR and Boost gauges.

What do I do now? Is it because I turned the boost up? I would think not because it does it on idle when there is no boost. Could it be an injector is not firing? Now I'm scared to drive it so I parked it back in my parent's garage and came home sad. :(

One other thing. Should I still be seeing fuel cut? At 18lbs the engine cuts out violently or whatever I set the boost controller at. In 1st gear it's a lot less than 18lbs I think. Like 10-12lbs of boost. Is that normal? I'm not able to get over 4.5-5K RPM with full throttle because I hit 18lbs about there and the engine cuts out and the car jerks pretty good. I was under the impression that it would get to 18lbs and the manual boost controller would open the wastegate stopping the turbo from making any more than 18lbs of boost but the engine would still pull and accelerate all the way to redline. Is this not how it works? Do I need to install a fuel cut defender?

Kind of sucks like this. Sure it's quick in boost but only 5K tops?? Lame. I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.

Pic of the MBC installed. I cut the excess off the zip ties after this shot.

Video of the check engine light flashing.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Also, do I have to do anything with the factory BCS? I removed the hoses from it and put them on the MBC. Do I plug the lines off the BCS? Should I disconnect the wiring harness from it?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Another thing (lol) I noticed was after replacing my burnt out left parking light it's still not working. I checked the new bulb to make sure it didn't blow right away and it's fine. The right light is working. My turn signals are not working either now. Do the buttons on the dash all have to be plugged in for the turn signals to work? Right now they're all on the floor and the only thing I plugged in was the gauge cluster.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

kimokalihi wrote:
Mattheww044 wrote:holy crap, just saw the mice pics! thats crazy! apparently they like your car even more than you do! haha
You bet your ass I'm going. Why do you think I've been working so hard on it lately? Are you going?

What is a "bright button"?

Yes, Im definately going. Sooooo stoked. There are so many things I want to get done before I go, but we'll see how far I get. You should send me a PM about that ac compressor I messaged you about.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Plug the ports on the OE BCS, and leave the electric hooked up.