My JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

My JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Post by entirelyturbo »

I may have a way to actually get a Legacy B4 RSK through an importer friend.

It's a 2000, BE chassis, genuine JDM right-hand-drive twin-turbo Legacy B4 RSK, black, 5spd, with 47k kilometers on it. Runs and drives great from what I understand, but will need repainting. If Wikipedia is right, it's an EJ208 engine (I don't know JDM engine codes very well).

I'd be gettting a major hookup, so the price is very, very enticing considering what it is.

In order to come up with the money, though, I'd have to sell the Fit pronto, and if I get this, I'd strongly consider getting rid of my Legacy as well. I don't want to at all, but I need the space.

The Fit is nothing more than an appliance to me, so I won't really miss it. But it has performed absolutely flawlessly for 3 years, and I'm aware that I'm trading a perfectly reliable car, that I know everything about, for another car 8 years older that I know hardly anything about.

However, I've been on constant rotation with press cars for the Examiner column, and from what I understand, that will continue. So transportation isn't a huge issue.

So... a couple questions. What USDM parts can I use for maintenance stuff, like a timing belt? Could I use an EJ25D or EJ205 timing belt? I'm presuming USDM body parts will work, like fenders and doors and stuff like that (I can use a Baja Turbo hood, right?). I'm also concerned about stuff like ignition coils, clutch stuff, axles, stuff like that.

Thoughts? Comments? Should I or shouldn't I?

Doug, you've worked with these engines before haven't you? Anything I should know?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Re: May have the chance to get a B4 RSK

Post by Apex3 »

I don't believe the car can be easily legalized
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

More details coming soon!

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

did you get it?
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

As APEX said, you might not be able to get the car legalized. Other than that it is a very good find, but I do not believe that JDM cars come with emissions reduction stuff, so if you want to get everything registered and whatnot, you might have to get some emissions controlling stuff like a catalytic converter and other stuff. Also, because it is JDM, there might be some parts on the car that aren't street legal in the US. When you go to take it through inspection, because it is JDM, they will probably go through your car pretty well and be very nit-picky about it. That is my thought, other than that it is a very nice car and if it is possible, I hope you get it on the road soon. :D
2015 Subaru BRZ
1993 Subaru Legacy Sedan 5 Speed FWD Green (EG33 swap in progress)
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

i would ask for the legal papers of it coming from japan.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

You will not be able to legalize it. It is not one of the approved cars that can be "converted" nor is it more than 25 years old. So you will have to cut it in half to get it here.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

unless you petition it as a celector car, but that will not work since it does meet the criteria.
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

He can bring it here for a year as a kind of experimental/display vehicle, but when that's up, he'll have to show the NHTSA proof of destruction or export. How it's registered in the mean time or exactly what happens when the time is up (does the NHTSA send agents to hunt you down and what can they do to you?), I don't know, but he can bring it here intact. There may be another way, too, but that's all I found on the NHTSA site. I know Bill Gates had trouble with having a Porsche 959 here before someone federalized them. I THINK he imported it under the experimental/display deal as a collector car, but he couldn't drive it and he may have had to send it in and out of the country every year or so. Easy solution for him, though: just keep it in your house in another country. Preferably one by the Nurburgring.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I can't picture gates driving anything but a Prius.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I'm fairly positive it can be registered as a track car as well with no problem, but obviously you can't drive in on the street if you do that.

You MIGHT be able to register it, if it's deemed similar enough to our Legacy, like how you can get the Canadian Civics that are badged Acura, but that might be a stretch. There's also something about getting a letter from the manufacturer saying it meets the US requirements, but I'm not entirely clear on that one, I think that might be before it gets on the approved list, which would leave a lot of things to do to make it legal still.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

kimokalihi wrote:I can't picture gates driving anything but a Prius.

^that's for him getting busted in a 911.
He has a thing for Porsches, and I'm pretty sure I've seen him driving around on the 405 (how many other 959's are there in this area?).
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

There are at least a couple 959's in WA, I've seen a silver one in Redmond. Paul Allen has one too.

Getting a B4 RSK registered in the US would be an accomplishment, maybe you could fake it with a VIN from a USDM BE?
90 L+ wgn
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I used to be a Customs border officer who handled imports daily. Trust me when I say: don't even try. I know the rules and the requirements. If you want to drive it on the road, there will be no way to do it, short of trying something illegal. And I don't recommend that, as if you get caught, they sieze the car and crush it. Even Canada will not allow it in for another 5 years.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

It needs a lot of cosmetic work... a complete paint job for sure, and there's also minor damage from shipping.

But it's in one piece, it runs and drives perfectly, it's already tagged and registered, it will be insured next week, and I'll get the title in about two weeks.

How? The car was already here. I bought it from someone who already went through customs and all the red tape.

Even still, the shipping and titling process has taken nearly a month and cost a ridiculous amount of money.

But it is here and it is now mine.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

AWD_addict wrote:There are at least a couple 959's in WA, I've seen a silver one in Redmond. Paul Allen has one too.

Getting a B4 RSK registered in the US would be an accomplishment, maybe you could fake it with a VIN from a USDM BE?
Pretty sure there's only 2 in Washington, and Gates lives in Bellevue(well, Medina technically) which isn't too far from Redmond.

OP that's awesome though, so you don't know exactly what the PO did to get it registered?
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

i would like to see the papers, and the story behind how it got here.
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Well all jokes aside, if you didn't have papers.... a vin swap would have been my suggestion.....
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'd think a vin swap could get you in serious trouble. Doesn't seem worth it to me.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Oh it'll get you in ALOT of trouble....
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

cj91legss wrote:Oh it'll get you in ALOT of trouble....
Oh yea, definitely, but how many times has a police officer checked your vin when you were pulled over? And if they did in fact, how many looked close to see if it was somehow swapped? And even if they looked how would they tell? It's one thing on a Skyline, it's another on a car that looks just like a common car they sell here.

Not to say you should try it, just saying it's probably the least risky of the illegal ways with the proper car.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: I now own a JDM Legacy B4 RSK

In a right hand drive car, you'd be stupid to bother as you're just one cop who's angry because his spurned gay lover has gone to his wife with the truth and looking to take it out on someone (which seems to be most of them, most of the time) away from a big problem. Especially considering the legal car you could build or buy in lieu of the lawyer fees, fines, and direct and indirect lost work.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

congratulations! looks great!

are you planning on getting the body work/paint taken care of?
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Dude. Awesome. Awesome!

Do you have a dog? If not, babysit a friend's dog. Then go for a ride with the dog in the passenger seat and freak people out.

There are various ways to import gray-market cars to the States. Many of the loopholes have been eliminated since then, but when I was a kid we had a German-spec Mercedes 300D. At the time, if you lived in the US as an employee of certain international NGOs and were not a US citizen, it was possible to import cars like that without any modification.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Didn't they have to be made to pass emissions? I know back then there were businesses that would federalize non-US market cars (like Ferrari BB512s, for example) by adding, often badly, emissions equipment.