The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now with Dyno Sheet!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (warning: UGLY pics!)

Post by cj91legss »

hmm, i wasnt too worried about that at the moment what i was asking about was the supply for the TB and IAC. I wanted to make sure that i had the supply for those two correct.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

You need to drive it harder, 15.7 is disgraceful for your car.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

It doesn't matter which hose is the feed or return for the IAC/TB lines. Either way moves hot coolant through them.

And yes, 15.7 is totally shameful, even at 5800 feet. Driving a Subaru like a musclecar at the strip and leaving the line at 2000 rpms does NOT work, lol!
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

don't get down on the 15.7 UP here... yes, you could do better but the 2.6 60's show that. 90.xxmph traps aren't bad for that turbo.

FWIW, my best at Bandi is a 14.9@91.27 (with a vf12 at around 12psi peak, dropping to ~10psi closer to redline - you know, where you spend 80+% of the 1320 run :) )

I heard from Harvey that you are a really good tuner (high praise I would say). I think he said you were up at Boostcreep for dyno tuning? is that right? If so, what did you put down on the heartbreaker?
And are you looking into the Haltech Sprint 500 Harvey is promoting for cars "of a certain age"? curious what you think about that setup.
I'm torn between the F/IC, the new Haltech, and waiting for a Rob-chip... I need to do something this summer (so the Rob option is probbly out unless he finds the 22T to be fast and easy to chip).
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

I'm back for an update! First, the status update...this motor's been fantastic for the last several seasons of driving. Plenty of power at 16-ish psi, 90+ lbs. of oil pressure cold, and 21-25 mpg with my foot on the floor - a lot.

And then last weekend, 5th gear apparently shit out its synchro...it suddenly started grinding badly shifting onto 5th, and popped right out when coasting. I think that transmission was the last original part of the car...which means it only has about 298,000 miles in it. LOL!

Luckily, the transmission that came with the EJ20H motor was sitting safely in my shed. It's presumably a low mileage unit given the condition of the engine, and it'll drop right in. I looked up the tag and found the ratios...It's a TY752VBAAA, and it has a 4.111 final drive and considerably closer spacing than the USDM transmission. Should be fun! (It's the one on the left.)

Since I now need to swap out the 3.90 rear diff for a 4.111, and I don't want to lose the LSD, I looked around and found...
A 3.90 LSD and a 4.111 diff...both for $60, woohoo! Gonna make me a 4.111 LSD rear diff.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I was beginning to wonder how it was treating ya!
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

It's been treating me really well, Jason. Until 5th gear went away, that is! :smt011

So, I took apart both diffs except for the pinion gears. It was super easy, I just kept pulling bolts and yanking junk out until I had a nice mess on the table. I should note that the LSD stub axles just pull out, while the open diffs have a bolt inside each shaft to retain it.
Although I didn't take a picture, I swapped the ring gear from the 4.111 open diff onto the 3.90's LSD unit. I then looked closely at both differential housings, and saw where I had to grind a little bit to remove 4 lumps that were ground off to clear the LSD. You can see where I ground 2 of them off, the left side is identical now.
After that, re-installation was a snap. I used the bearing retainers and shims that came on the 3.90, and the backlash came out just fine.
Although the sticker's wrong (for now ;-) ), I used the cover from the 3.90 diff, because it had an extra baffle still gasketed on that mostly covered the vent area. You can see it in the upper corner of the cover on the left.

As of this posting, my 4.111 LSD's installed in the car. Now to get my butt in gear and install the transmission!
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Any updates on your likes & dislikes on the AEM FIC? I have a buddy who really wants me to go with Hydra Nemisis by I'm having a hard time justifing the $1,600 Element Tuning wants for it. Stand alone is obviously the best choice but I can choke down $600 alot better for AEM's product if it seems to be treating you well at this point.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

I'm still really happy with the F/IC...so far, it's given me zero surprises. The fuel-cut defender and MAF patch I tuned into it long ago still keeps the injectors happy, and to be honest I've barely touched it in months. Yeah, I'm still running the Hitachi MAF - I just haven't gotten around to installing a JECS MAF and re-tuning everything. Although I know where I can get on a dyno and make that job a lot easier!

All that being said, it's not exactly fair to compare it to a standalone, as it isn't exactly the smoothest car all the time...at about half-throttle, my little TD04 builds boost so quickly that the F/IC fights with the Subaru ECM and it can buck a little if I'm not careful with my right foot. :? I know it sounds a bit goofy, but I'm totally used to it now. I'm pretty sure it'll drive a bit better with a larger turbo like a TD05-16G or a VF39, believe it or not. I'd like to be able to advance timing so I could run E-85, but that may be a real challenge, even after I make a new map for a JECS MAF. Overall though, I don't see how the F/IC can be beat for what it is.
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Awesome! Thanks for the feed back and being a guinea pig for us too! :D
Jason
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

I got everything sorted out yesterday and installed the trans last night. There were only a couple of differences in the JDM unit: First, it had an electronic speed sensor instead of a speedo cable, but that was easily swapped from my old transmission. Secondly, the harness for the switches was shorter and plugged together in pieces. You can see if you look closely a few posts up. But it still plugged right into my harness and works normally. On a side note, I also realized that I have been running a Group N transmission mount. Bonus. :smt023

Driving home last night and back to the shop today: I have a different car! First gear actually feels very similar to before, since it's geared higher and my final drive is lower then previously. But the 1-2 shift is noticeably closer, and the 4-5 shift is way closer. There's a lot less overdrive going on now in 5th, 3000 rpms is about 67 miles per hour! Definitely less of an interstate car now I guess, but now I don't have to downshift to pass. :twisted: Presumably, my car's now properly geared for a 2.0 liter turbo in a Legacy.

Close-ratio gearbox + 4.111 LSD should equal a lot more whee. I may have to start thinking a little more seriously about rallycrossing this car! :smt077
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Re: The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now w/Upgraded Driveline!)

Post by SLODRIVE »

Almost a month later, and the new transmission works great. It's really noisy on the interstate because 5th gear is so low, but so far my gas mileage has stayed the same. However, the car doesn't want to pass emissions this year, even though nothing has changed. :? Maybe that little convertor isn't as effective anymore, but no biggie...I have tags for a couple more months, and I have a stock WRX/STi catted downpipe I can swap on.

I'm also thinking the 22T ECU just isn't up to the task of running my combo smoothly enough, even with the piggyback. Luckily, I just finished collecting a few key parts: a Z4 ECU from a '95-'96 WRX, a JECS MAF, and a couple of extra Legacy ignitors with the pigtails. Hee hee. :twisted: More to follow very soon.
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

You're converting to coil over plug aren't ya??? This should be interesting to follow because the EJ20G heads I purchased came with the individual coil packs.
Jason
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Nope, I'm converting my ECU patch harness so I can run wasted spark and keep my single coil pack.

Here you can see my patch harness with 2 ignitor harnesses properly wired in as per PhyrraM's fantastic how-to thread here. The large black harness goes to my F/IC piggyback; the small black harness connects the F/IC to the wideband and a shift light. You can also see that I cut off 2 of the Z4 ECU's mounting brackets, bent the third, and slipped a clip/stud from a GM ECU over it. The computer now mounts in the stock location, albeit only using the lower mounting hole. 8)

Here's a gutted ignitor I made a by-pass out of. I glued the cover back on after this and mounted it where the original one went.

The rest was pretty straightforward. I re-installed the patch harness along with 2 ignitors under the dash, and clamped on the JECS MAF. I then zeroed the tables in my piggyback and started it. So far, it runs-pretty rich though, we'll see if it trims out. :)
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Reporting back after a day of driving/adjusting...

First, the lousy news...The MAP circuit on my new ECM appears to be dead. :x The A/Fs are fine cruising around, but as soon as the engine went into boost, things went really lean right away. In addition, a quick Evoscan log showed that it wasn't pulling timing under boost either. The MAP sensor is fine - in fact, I can confirm that the "appropriate" voltages from the MAP signal wire are reaching the ECU through my piggyback. The good news - I already have a piggyback installed! I simply used the F/IC's software to create fuel and ignition maps that only come in under boost, just like a N/A conversion. After that, I ran it up to 15 lbs. of boost without issue. :-D

Overall, my EJ20H is MUCH happier with the ECU swap, dead MAP circuit notwithstanding. The Z4 ECU's spark and airflow calibrations should be almost ideally suited for my setup, and it shows...the idle is much lower and smoother than before, and it's more responsive. The JECS MAF works perfectly, as the Z4 ECU is from a v.3/4 WRX, which had the same intake tube I'm using.

I have a tiny bit more tweaking to do to the fuel table, and I just might be ready for a dyno pull, and the subsequent search for more HP. I kinda want to see just how much power I can get out of this little TD04 on E-85!
-And more!
QueensNYgtsu
In Neutral

Re: The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now w/EJ20G ECU swap!)

Post by QueensNYgtsu »

My buddy bought nonrunning RS mainly used for Rallycross by the previous owner, its funny how "creative" people get the setups, Nothing was what it was suppose to be or where it was was suppose to be.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Re: The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now w/ STANDALONE ECU INSTALL

Post by SLODRIVE »

Alright...I'm really not happy with my current setup. The Z4 ECU is just too messed up to make me happy. Even though a lot of things have smoothed out compared to running the EJ22T ECU, things just aren't right, even with the piggyback, which is doing its job just fine. Being that my car isn't what you would call "high-end", :lol: I never even thought about going with a standalone ECU....

Until now! :twisted:

Check out this little cutie...a Haltech Sprint 500. Believe it or not, I scored it for "under $1000" brand new, and it's going to handle ALL of my engine management. Just for comparison purposes, here it is next to my F/IC to show how small it is. Easy packaging!

Pics of the ends...a 32-pin ECU connector on one end, the other end has a USB port, a CAN outlet and a nipple for the onboard (22 psi) MAP sensor.

Here's what you get in the box...the ECU, a USB cable, a CD with the software and manuals, and a giant 8-foot long harness.

The harness itself isn't really for the faint of heart...some of the leads are marked, but it's mostly a pile of brightly colored wires. Whee!

I'm going to go one step further than many on this installation...I'm installing this as something of a "plug-n-play" on my Legacy, with almost zero cutting of the OEM harness. If everything works out, this setup will be the prototype of something that will be available PRE-WIRED for our cars, possibly even with a workable base map. Interested yet??

To start off, I removed my ECU patch harness, chopped the F/IC off and cut the whole thing in half. I then tied back all the leads that won't be needed, and marked the others with a label maker. Try this with masking tape and a Sharpie!

As far as all the connections...I'll post those up at a slightly later date, as in after the car runs. However, I can tell you a few things now...
-There will be no MAF, at least not one that works. This is a speed-density system now.
-I only plan on adding one extra sensor - an air temp sensor. I'll use some of the MAF wiring to connect it through the factory harness. All other sensors are OEM Subaru.
-Although I'm using the Haltech's internal MAP sensor at this point, I connected the unit to the factory MAP sensor wiring to facilitate adding a GM-style external sensor in the future, if needed.
-The ignition will be configured for wasted spark so I can run a single coil pack. If desired, the ECU can run 4-channel ignition with separate coil packs.
-The tach, radiator fans, and speed sensor will all be driven by the ECU as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can make the factory IAC valve work with this setup. You heard that right!

Considering the number of connections I made, I decided to go with non-insulated crimp connectors for reliability as well as flexibility. My hands got a great workout yesterday.

...And here's what got finished last night - a PnP harness ready to go! The extra plug is to connect my wideband under the dash. As always, stay tuned for more!
-And more!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Bitchin'....
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Oh Shit!!!

You are gonna beat me with the install....mine is going in on October 13th. I'm going to do it at Harvey's shop.

I would love to get the stock IAC to work...let me know how that goes.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Damn that's gonna be sick! So you are no longer recommending the AEM F/IC or it just doesn't suit your current needs?
Jason
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

macipusy wrote:Oh Shit!!!

You are gonna beat me with the install....mine is going in on October 13th. I'm going to do it at Harvey's shop.

I would love to get the stock IAC to work...let me know how that goes.
Heh, I'll more than likely be there to help you anyway! I'm pretty sure the IAC is going to work, we'll find out this week.
dropdfocus wrote:Damn that's gonna be sick! So you are no longer recommending the AEM F/IC or it just doesn't suit your current needs?
I still really like the F/IC as far as a piggyback goes...I never had a single glitch in almost 10K miles, and it's relatively easy to install and use. I'm probably going to hang onto it for who knows what. For this car, I just want total control of the EM, especially for any unmentioned future upgrades. ;-)
-And more!
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Nice work.I was just thinking of doing this very thing and have even been eyeballing that very ecu.Looks like a sweet unit.I will just go ahead and let you work up a good base map first before i do it. :-D
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice work. Very similar setup/wiring as what I did with my Link.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

OMG thats friggen crazy!!

Good work SLODRIVE!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Thanks all. I had to do a touch of re-wiring, notes below:

-To get a rising voltage signal from the TPS (which the Haltech needs), simply reverse the power and ground wires. I didn't know that!
-Be VERY careful when using the Subaru wiring diagrams and ECU pinouts. I mistakenly used a JDM diagram when I ran two MAF wires to the air temp sensor, and it had me scratching my head for a little while until I checked the USDM manual.
-Yellow with an orange stripe looks a LOT like yellow/red in poor lighting. Just saying. :lol:

Finally, I installed the air temp sensor. I decided on the BPV flange on my intercooler to avoid heat-soak and to place the sensor in a moving airstream after the I/C. I simply drilled holes in the flange and the intercooler tank, and tapped the flange for the sensor.

Before actually starting the engine, I disconnected the ignitor and the injectors, so I could check the cam/crank sensors for an RPM signal. Next, I connected the ignition and set up the ECU to properly find TDC with a timing light, and "locking" the timing in the software. Once that was done, I hooked up the fuel system...

It runs again!! 8) I'm happy to report that the fuel pump works, the tach works, the radiator fans come on when I wanted them to...and the icing on the cake...The IAC works better than the factory ECU ever ran it! I can also map the duty cycle over the coolant temp, and adjust the idle speed however I see fit. I haven't been out on the road just yet to see if the speed sensor works through the ECU, but it should. I'll find out when I run it up to Harvey's to tune it on his dyno. I have already done some no-load tuning, and it sure is great having FULL control at last. I'll update soon, and I might just post up the ECU pinout for my install if I find the time.
-And more!