kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by evolutionmovement »

For another example: my ex was a dancer and another vindictive dancer (friggin' women) who was supposed to be helping her stretch, pushed her leg up past her limit and because my ex refused to stop dancing to let it heal, she developed a kind of scar tissue or something with that muscle and it was never the same. Not that I minded massaging her ass, but that other bitch is one of the few broads I wouldn't have minded teaching a lesson. I taught my ex a few moves, but she wasn't one to fight.
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

kimokalihi wrote:I have a condition that causes me to feel incredibly restless and anxious and even depressed when I go a whole day and get nothing accomplished. If I waste away an entire day I begin to feel trapped in a rut like my life is going nowhere and I'm worthless. I feel claustrophobic and suffocated. In a way, the legacy has been a therapeutic tool to me. I never thought of it that way until now because I don't have anything to do on it.

I think it's my job that has a lot to do with it. I used to feel the same way before I had a job when I was a kid in school. I hated school almost as much as I hate my job and just working for someone in general. So I valued the free time I had and got depressed when I wasted it doing nothing or there was nothing to do. I guess this prevents me from being completely lazy all the time which is good but the feeling of depression is less than desirable.

Anybody else feel this way?
Definitely, was also infinitely tired of school when I started on university. Had to stop and got a crappy job for at year, packed sausages 10-12 hours a day, that made me wanna go back to school asap :lol:
Today I have a job that is mostly giving so I rarely feel restless, but I quickly get impatient if work takes up too much time or I can't find the money to complete a project.
kimokalihi wrote: Now that my car is on the road and running well I have begun to get mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I want it to be faster and turn it into a track car. On the other hand I keep thinking I'm going to wind up killing myself in it or worse get someone else killed. Every time I drive it fast I think about all the possible ways I could kill someone or hit a deer or have a blow out around a corner or one little mistake when I was working on the car could cause catastrophic failure. Now I'm hesitant to drive fast and that was the whole point of building the car.

Character vs Self. I'm lost.
Go to a track with it. It is much more fun and you get to explore yourself and your cars capabilities in a way you never would on the road anyway. I miss it so bad that I almost went with the daily driver this summer.
I almost never race on the road anymore, I really don't feel the urge for it, just knowing I could kick most of the cars passing me on the freeway is enough. I do occasionally get carried away, but it is usually settled within seconds anyway so I just pull in in front of whoever I just beat and let him get along with his suicide mission.
kimokalihi wrote: On a brighter note, after seeing this Nissan 200sx budget drift car I really want to build a cheap drift car now.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/08 ... -ae86.aspx
Don't be fooled, drifting itself isn't cheap unless someone is willing to sponsor tires. My brother and I looked into it last year and it really is an expensive hobby.
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

One reason I built my "new" bike is because it's much cheaper than a car (unless you're a real weight weanie) and I need something more comfortable to exercise more as I'm starting to gain weight (though everyone tells me I'm crazy, I can feel some of me jiggle slightly over bumps in the car for the first time in my life and I find it disgusting. I don't see the point of waiting until I'm 300 lbs. to decide to do something about it). Biking is a good, low impact exercise.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So my car understeers and I don't like it much. It's got 20mm WRX wagon front swaybar and 20mm adjustable whiteline rear swaybar that was originally set at the softest setting (18mm I think) and now is set at the stiffest setting. I didn't really notice any difference and it still understeers. I just read the swaybar FAQ by Jamal and that got me nowhere fast. Basically what I learned from that FAQ was that a bigger swaybar increases grip on that end of the vehicle by keeping more of the tire tread in contact with the pavement but at the same time it reduces grip because of weight transfer.

So how do I get my car to go around corners without understeering? Is it possible or desirable for the car to lose grip on both ends at the same time?

I really want to take my car to the drag strip and do some runs. I've never been before and it would be fun but if I blow the engine or break the transmission I have no way of getting it home.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

you should just have someone follow you with a truck and trailor
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Install the factory front sway bar. But be warned....

In steady state cornering, a bit of understeer isn't bad. Unless your an experienced driver, an oversteering car will likely catch you out in a lift throttle situation. Because of the media, most OEMs are now tailored to slight oversteer because it feels 'fun' and pleases magazine reviewers - but those cars also have electronics to keep everyday drivers safe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Balanced handling is the Holy Grail for any car, though since most cars are such compromised passenger vehicles, companies mostly try to wow with mechanical grip and use electronic crutches to sort the rest. I found the wagon to be well balanced because of the weight distribution and differing cg's even if it only gripped the road moderately well, but it required setting up for the turn correctly to overcome the still inherent tendency for understeer. The Mazda grips like a mother for fwd, but tends to much greater understeer when the limit is reached. To counter that, left foot braking works the electronic brake control to bring the car into line, but without the nanny, it would understeer in the dry and snap oversteer at lift off at high speeds in the wet (something they tried to counter with negative camber in the rear). Personally, though the limits are lower, I much prefer the handling qualities of the wagon, which is closer to an old GT. Can't wait to get it on the road again and make it rwd, though that plan is up in the air as I'm not quite sure what I'll do now—I'm now thinking of building my own boat instead of a (more expensive) car, so I might want awd to tow it. Guess it depends on the economy.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

I'm now thinking of building my own boat instead of a (more expensive) car
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You obviously havnt been thinking about it very long,the boat will cost more,no matter what your ideas are now. :mrgreen:
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm talking about a sailing dory—if I can build ANY original design car from scratch cheaper than that, I'll build ten. Sure, I'd love to build an old wood speed boat with a Subaru engine, but that's way beyond my present skill level and I don't own a house on a lake anyway (there's no way I'd run that in salt water). I figure Tigershark will run me between $15-20k, which probably means more like $30k+ and that's out of my budget now unless I just want to start it and have it taking up the garage forever.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Adding to what Steve said, lower limits are easier to find and less bad happens when you pass them. It also makes for a more fun-driving car.
Kimo- It sounds to me like you have just about the right setup w/ swaybars. What are your spring rates. You might just need more experience w/ the car to find the best way to drive it fast (i.e. Subaru's inherent handling characteristic is understeer due to the weight distribution and awd)
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Also (no edit button), what are your alignment settings? A little rear toe-out is great for cornering, but hell on tires.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm not sure what the alignment settings are. I may have the receipt somewhere. I think the front is -1.75 and the rear is -1.0 but I could be mistaken. As for toe, who knows but for the record I would avoid SpeedWare MotorSports in Redmond, WA if at all possible.

First off, I thought since I was paying a shop to roll my fenders that they would have the fender rolling tool (it's only $275) especially since this shop is huge and does full on race builds and had porches, lambos and ferarris inside. Instead they beat on the fenders with a hammer (could have done that myself but I didn't want to go that route) and cracked the paint. I'm not even sure if they used a heat gun or not. They didn't do the alignment with my new wheels and tires on the car but instead did the alignment with my old wheels and tires which are 165/60/R15 and my new wheels and tires are 225/45/17. This was because i did not have tuner lug nuts and the stock lug nuts didn't fit properly but they still held the wheels in place just fine. They could have put the wheels and tires on just for the alignment. Then I asked the guy if he was sure the tires wouldn't rub since he didn't check with the new wheels to make sure. He said,"They should." WTF. They don't rub but it was still fucked up that they did that. Then to top it all off, my steering wheel was a touch off when I brought it in and now it's way off center. When I took auto tech class in high school they taught us to always make sure the steering wheel is straight when you align the car on the rack. Always. Or your customer will be pissed. I'm pissed. But after that 5 hour experience, I just wanted to go home and forget about that shop. Especially after going across the street to the pizza parlor and getting my pizza to find it was still raw and cold and doughy in the middle while I was waiting for my car to be finished.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I saw a thread on NASIOC about an autocross event in Bremerton coming up in october for girls only. I talked to my gf about it and she sounded interested in trying it out which would be pretty cool, I think.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I was pretty bored tonight so I took a drive up to walmart, bought a tripod and did a little photoshoot. Black and white because my camera is just a cheap point and shoot and it can't get good colors in poor lighting.

Full Size Images Here: http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa16 ... %20Images/

There's several more but I just grabbed a few of the best ones. I'm not a photographer so they're not great but it was fun. Cop pulled up at one point and told me I couldn't park where I was parked. :roll: As if someone was going to drive through the park at the capital at 4 in the morning.
Last edited by kimokalihi on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L-Tuned BD
First Gear

Post by L-Tuned BD »

Those DPT's look awesome! Stance is just right. Nice photography.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks. Still want some sideskirts though.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

jesus dude.... it seems like a week ago your whole car was in pieces. I hope you realize how well your work paid off. that thing is F'in SWEET man
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks Matt. Does kind of seem odd that it's actually driving. Unfortunately I think about selling it every day. It hurts me to say that but things are tough right now.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

omg.... seriously???
why would you? and how much would you sell it for? :D
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I hate my job so much. If I get a different job I'm left to pay off nearly $6,000 in debt with a 401K loan for over $4,000 and an auto loan for $1,800 and I just paid off a $1,300 loan the other day. The $4,000 will come straight out of my 401K leaving me with probably $1,000 after they hit me with taxes and penalties. The other loan I won't have the money to pay off and will have to sell the car to pay it off.

The last thing I want to do is sell my car which I've spent 2 years building. What else do I do though? I'm really depressed with this job and if I'm not happy what good is a car going to do for me? I can't race it like I want to because I don't have the money to be doing that and I don't have a truck or trailer for when it inevitably breaks on the track. It's costing me $300 a month in insurance for both my cars and not to mention gas is not cheap.

I'm exploring career ideas or just a different job and the only real idea besides going back to school is UPS but they hire you for like 2 years sorting packages before you can drive a truck and you make $12/hour for only 20 hours a week. That won't pay my living expenses as they currently are. That's about 1/3 of what I make now.

If I was to sell my car I might have to part it out because nobody will want to spend anything close to what I've dumped into this car. I'd probably sell it for $5K (lol) but that won't happen. I'd do much better if I just sold the $2,500 coilovers and the wheels and tires that I bought for $1,400 which only have 1K miles on them. Throw the stock wheels and tires on and stock suspension and sell the car for $3K.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

damn dude im sorry to hear that. do waht you can to keep her though!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

What about parking it somewhere to save on the insurance? Self storage, maybe, if you don't have any other option.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's crossed my mind. Just park it back in the garage at my parents where it sat for nearly 2 years. Sad. Too bad the insurance companies have to rape me so bad. Assholes. I have a clean driving record and they still charge me crazy high rates.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

what about switching insurance companies?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well the issue isn't so much the insurance as it is the loans. Gotta pay off the $1,800 loan from the bank somehow and If I don't pay off the 401K before I quit which is $4,000 then I receive penalties. I talked to my boss just before I left work tonight and he said basically I can't go to days unless someone on days gets fired or quits or wants to trade to nights with me. Not only that but I will be dropped down to the bottom of the seniority list. Which is fucked up since I've been there for 4 years. So dayshift is not gonna happen so a new job is the only option aside from putting myself into massive debt going to school.