kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm not even making that much power yet! I don't understand. I'm guessing the most power I've made from this engine is 250 CHP. Maybe.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I found an article on EndWrench about DOHC timing belt replacement procedure and it says that one tooth off is equivalent to 15 degrees of timing. So 6 teeth off is 90 degrees. Did I do damage? I'm afraid to proceed from this point without knowing if there's a possibility of valve damage.

If I clamped the belt to all 4 cam gears and removed the lower right idler could I get enough slack to move the crank gear back 6 teeth and get it back where it's supposed to be? It seems like the crank gear was the only one that slipped. Then there's the question,"Why did it slip?" It's bound to slip again if it slipped before right? Something allowed enough slack for it to slip which points to the tensioner which was brand new.

What should I do? This is frustrating.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Time it correctly then do a leak-down test. That'll tell you if anything isn't right.
I can't imagine it running, let alone well, with the timing off that far. You sure you're checking it right?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I might have looked at the wrong mark. The stupid arrow. I don't know for sure but I took the belt off today, replaced the crank gear and realigned the belt. Checked it like 10 times. Got it all back together with a different used pulley and a used alternator belt and it's running good, aside from the fact the knock light blinked 16 times the first mile I drove down the road but after that I drove another 5 miles and no knock light.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

u reset ur ecu?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

try that and give yourself a good 100 miles or so, go for a drive and see what happens with your knock light. Don't get on it, drive it like it's your metro.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Drive it like the metro, lol. I drive the piss out of that metro.
mx4life
First Gear

Post by mx4life »

Nice car. you should look into the black and grey interior. it would compliment the car nicely
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I know which ones you're talking about and I don't like the grey. I like the 2004 all black one piece non-adjustable WRX headrest seats. Those are awesome looking. One day I will either cage my car out or get those seats.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

I'll probably sell my black 04 wrx's as well Kimo. I just picked up two sets of jdm wrx ones and mmm mmmm. Me likey
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah but don't yours have the removable headrests? I want the one piece seats.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My car makes a crazy noise that I hate when I start to accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear I think. It sounds like if there were a a couple very large washers on a shaft that were too large of a diameter to fit the shaft snug and they vibrate against each other while they bounce around the shaft and once I accelerate for a few seconds the shaft gets going fast enough to where the washers finally grab the shaft and start spinning at the same RPM as the shaft and they go silent.

This is the best analogy I can come up with but it's annoying as hell and sounds like my car is a piece of shit. Kind of embarrassing driving with people in the car.

Any idea what could be rattling like that?

I also think I have bearing going out in my trans. It makes a bad bearing noise while idling but when you put the clutch in it goes away. Had this same noise on my last legacy wagon but it was 10X worse and made the noise through all the gears as well.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Hmm, if it stops while the clutch is pressed, i would look at the clutch release bearing, or atleast that would be my first guess. I remember in one of your threads you said you installed it incorrectly the first time? maybe that might have something to do with it?
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Was my original guess as well but that's not it. I posted about my last legacy a long time ago and the people I talked to said if it were the clutch release bearing it would make the noise when the clutch is pressed in because that's when the clutch release bearing is engaged. It's the input shaft bearing or something in the trans because when you push the clutch in it disengages the transmission shaft and the shaft stops spinning and thus the bearing is no longer stressed in the trans.

At least that's my take on it.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

[quote="kimokalihi"]Drive it like the metro, lol. I drive the piss out of that metro.[/quote]
As metros are meant to be driven.

The trans noise sounds like the throwout bearing to me too. But its always hard to say w/o hearing it in person.
As far as the other noise, can you narrow down a source or area its coming from?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have no idea where it's coming from. Anyways....

The subaru is dead now. RIP legacy. I love you.

White smoke all over the freeway and all the way home since I have no trailer. The motor is done. Fuckin honda's. That's what I get for street racing. Serves me right. Fuck hondas.

FUCK
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

At least the legacy was faster. Won't be running for a long time. I still have $6K in debt because of that car and I was trying to save money to move.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Been thinking about my poor engine and all the knock lights I've been seeing lately, mostly on warm up. Is it possible that the engine failure is blown ring(s) caused by an injector not putting out enough fuel to prevent detonation and the reason the AFR gauge still read good is because all 4 cylinders are read at the O2 sensor and therefore the ECU just enriched the shit out of the other 3 injectors to get the air/fuel ratio on par?

That's my theory. Drove home like 15 miles with a car full of smoke. Windows down, sunroof open, choking on burnt oil fumes. I don't think it was a head gasket. Would have smelled the coolant. Had to be the rings. Every time I shifted the car died and I had to get it going again by down shifting and letting the transmission jump the engine back up again. It BARELY made it up the hill to my parents house. 2nd gear floored at 20mph felt like 5th gear floor at 20mph.

I'm sad now. Don't know what I'll do. Coming off the insurance right away. No more $350 insurance bills every month. I would like to do 3.3 swap with stand alone and turbo but who knows. I don't want another EJ20 motor. I can't afford to fix it anyway. Maybe part out time. FML.
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

That sucks Kimo.....sorry to hear about your car.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Damn, sorry to hear that kimo :-(
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
mx4life
First Gear

Post by mx4life »

thats terrible. sorry to hear. If you can possibly come up with 1000 bucks and you can have my running driving SVX though. got a 3.3 in it. Im in central Oregon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks but like I said it's going to be a long time. There's no way I can come up with any money. Any money I have goes to paying off debt and saving for moving out.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

= ( I'm sorry to hear about your engine! Don't give up Though. hope its not as bad as it seems! I have a stock 2.2 that I would give you but I live far away!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's very kind of you but it's not a daily driver so it's no big deal. Well it's sort of a big deal. I'm sure to replace that engine would cost me $2K and I don't even know if the turbo is damaged.

Here's a shot of the smoke filled car when I got home last night.

Aftermath