kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

SubyFusion
Second Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by SubyFusion »

O well that eliminates that then hahah. I hate doing timing with a passion lol I always look at the wrong marks, and the book just makes it more confusing! damn that book!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

YES! The subaru has been removed from my insurance. Not only that but I went to liability only on my metro and now it looks like my monthly bill is going to be about $70 VS $352 for the last two payments I made :shock: That was prorated though because I added the subaru 4 months into the 6 month period but it was still going to be around $250 a month with both vehicles and full coverage on the metro.

I feel like I can breathe now. Especially since I've been missing 8-12 hours of work a week lately. All that insurance money will go to paying off my loan and my credit card. $2,000 and then the 401K loan I'm not too worried about since that's automatically taken from my check so I'm used to not getting it. For the last 2 years I've had approximately $175 taken out of each hourly check into my 401K every 2 weeks along with my 401K loan payment of $90 so every month $540 missing from my checks.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Battery out, lots of oil on it and below it.

This scared me when I removed the MAF and filter.

But I looked further inside and it looks like it got sucked up through the air filter because there's a ton of it in the MAF and MAF hose but hardly any inside the turbo inlet hose. Hopefully my brand new turbo with only 3,000 miles on it is OK...

Spark plugs removed. They all look pretty nasty. Did not look that way last week.

Then I did a compression test. Unhooked the fuel pump because I couldn't find a fuse for it. Compression test was done with the plugs all removed but now I realized I forgot to have my mom hold the throttle open when we did it. Oh well, I've never done it like that before. I still got the results I was looking for regardless.

#1 - 180 PSI
#2 - 0 PSI
#3 - 150 PSI
#4 - 150 PSI

The 3 cylinders that did have compression held the compression just fine for the 30 seconds or afterwards when I was writing down the numbers. So those rings are good but number 2 is dead. Engine will hopefully come out soon.

Unfortunately I learned today that my old legacy wagon broke down this morning in Seattle. Hour and a half from my sisters house. She drives it now and doesn't know anything about cars. She told me on the phone that it started smoking inside the car. Coming out of the vents. She says there was no smoke out of the exhaust or under the hood and she says it wasn't steam and smelled like something was burning.

Electrical short? She drove it home like that, no other choice. I have my work cut out for me. My gf's civic needs a new clutch too and she just got a screw in one of her brand new tires and it's unfixable. My mom says her car smells like something is burning too. WOW. I guess drive a metro. I've put 50K miles on mine and it's never given me a problem. Well one time a few months back the headlight switch quit working and the headlights wouldn't come on but right when I was about to buy a new stalk it started working again and has ever since.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Quick question, Insurance doesn't cover engine failures right? Stupid question but I thought I would ask since I've been paying out the ass for it.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Only those specific insurances they always annoyingly advertise about it, but I don't think they cover over 15 or 10 years or over 150k. At any rate, you'd need to already have it for, probably at least 90 days.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah didn't think so. Oh well.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Engine removed. 2.5 hours at a slow pace with no air tools. First time ever removing a subaru engine.

My niece got a kitten and it gets along very well with stumpy the 3 legged cat. They sleep together and when I open the door to my subaru they both hop in and curl up on my driver's seat. This one loves to climb up people and sit on their shoulders. Luckily the other one doesn't. Having a 3 legged full size cat dig it's claws into you would not feel good.

Oil has found it's way into everything. How do I find out if my turbo is alright? The turbine feels good when I spin it by hand. I don't think that oil came out of the turbo but it may have. The oil is all the way through the intake system starting at the filter and I think it's in all the vacuum hoses too.

Intercooler and turbo.

I want to find out why my engine was detonating. Should I send my injectors to get flow tested to see if one was clogged? It's expensive but I don't feel safe putting them back in again without knowing for sure.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Looks Like Fun! man that oil really did get everywhere!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Not quite as fun as driving the car. Winter is here and I have a stupid gutless FWD car :(

I forgot the mention that when removing the plug from the knock sensor the wire ripped right out of the plug.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

F*ck Knock Sensors
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Fuck knock sensor wiring. It's bullshit.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got off work early. Fuckin stupid night. Got drunk fast. Started to tear my engine apart. Punched the garage door several times. My fists are bleeding. Don't want to talk about it. Stupid bullshit. Passed out on garage floor for an hour. Stripped out stupid fucking cam bolt and gave up. Drove home half drunk.

Pictures.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

If you do it enough, you build up callouses as well as the strength of the bones in your hands. I used to be able to punch a concrete wall hard enough that most people thought I'd break my hand, but I'd hardly feel it. You have to build up to the concrete, though. That was a long time ago. The shitty thing about being less pissed off and/or owning your doors and walls is you no longer punch things and your hands eventually get all wussy again.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Keep that kind of action up and you will be ready for Halloween. Wipe that red makeup off with rubbing alcohol.

We are all proud of you for sticking with it.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Super Rage!!! Maybe you should invest in a punching bag= ]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Actually there is a punching bag in my room. It too has blood on it from the other day. The garage door reopened those scabs.

I was drunk. I feel better now. I need a new cam bolt though. Hopefully vice grips or something can get that off. I think it was because I was really mad and drunk that I stripped it out but I'm not sure lol. I used one of those 12 point craftsman sockets on it. I would have had the heads off last night if that hadn't happened. There's metal all over in the pan and it looks like a sparkles in the oil. Oil pickup has chunks of metal stuck to the screen. Where does the oil go after it gets picked up? Hopefully through the oil filter...
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

evolutionmovement wrote:If you do it enough, you build up callouses as well as the strength of the bones in your hands. I used to be able to punch a concrete wall hard enough that most people thought I'd break my hand, but I'd hardly feel it. You have to build up to the concrete, though. That was a long time ago. The shitty thing about being less pissed off and/or owning your doors and walls is you no longer punch things and your hands eventually get all wussy again.
What he said... Once you own your own house its best to just STOP what I'm doing when i get beyond frustrated. That way nothing gets broken. Oh and don't take it out on your significant other. I tell my wife to not talk to me about anything until I'm ready. lol.

Good job on getting back to work on your car Kimo.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Good advice. I'm back to work on my car but not for long. Once the motor is apart which won't take long I'm stalled again. No money to actually replace parts or have machine work done. I guess I should get back to cleaning out the garage. It's a digusting mess in there.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Where is the stock motor? Use ej22t block swap heads?!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The funniest thing just happened! My GF came in my room and we were watching a movie and she got up to grab her puffy cheetos I bought her the other night (she loves them) and then I remembered in my drunkin anger at her I crushed the entire bag last night at some point. LOL I feel really bad now but at the same time it's super funny because now she's got a bag full of crumbs which was basically a full bag too. I can't stop laughing but it was a really mean thing to do and I regret it. I'll get her a new bag tonight before I go to work.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

ericem wrote:Where is the stock motor? Use ej22t block swap heads?!
I don't have the stock motor. I bought this car without an engine. This is the only engine I have. I'm also not sure how the engine will run if I use a different size block with the Rob Tuned ECU.

I paid about $670 for the ECU+Tune+Patch harness. I want it to run right. If not then I'll just sell the ECU and patch harness. If it's not going to be a cheap easy fix like throwing in another block then I might as well either part it out or take another 2 years and build a monster 2.7l engine with FMIC, external wastegate, rotated setup with bigger turbo.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

you'll gain the extra torque from the .2 litre upgrade to a 22T block, plus fully closed deck. there shouldn't be any problems running the robtuned ecu on it either.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've seen what those EJ22T blocks go for though. $300-$500. I sold one myself for $350 plus shipping.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Read everything on the witchhunter website about fuel injectors and cleaning. Then I saw a section called Problem Injectors. Clicked on that and it lists the JECS Subaru Side Feed injectors I have in my engine as being one of the problem injectors prone to "Coil windings will increase in resistance."

"These also have issues with corrosion of the coil terminals causing intermittent operation. Fortunately the terminals can be cleaned during servicing."

I'm going to check the resistance on the injectors. This can be done with the injectors removed, correct? Then I'm going to mark them so I know which cylinder they came from and send them in to get tested and cleaned.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Removed the fuel injectors and tested the resistance on them. They're supposed to be 10-12ohms with less than 10% variance between them all. They were all exactly 10.8ohms.