kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

No way, you had a set of those? The tire is just there for moral support.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

[quote="kimokalihi"]No way, you had a set of those? The tire is just there for moral support.[/quote]
Lol
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

[quote="mike-tracy"][quote="kimokalihi"]No way, you had a set of those? The tire is just there for moral support.[/quote]
Lol[/quote]

Crap, can't edit my post.

Funny story - I had em mounted on 98 LGT Snowflakes, and a kid comes up to me at the Pull-A-Part parking lot. He asks me if I'd trade him wheels + cash. He has 15" stockers. I ask him how much he has, he says $300. Done! I trade them then and there in the parking lot, lol. At the time I had 2 sets of RS rims so it was no biggie, but I did like those tires. Sold the 15's for $150 so I ended up $450 richer for my troubles.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hell yeah! Nice trade there. You jacked up your cars in the parking lot and swapped them out?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Block is broke. Couple of big holes in the side.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's alright. I'll make do with it. ;)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Haha, yep, we broke out the jacks and swapped wheels right there at pull a part.

So that motor looks really clean, did you pressure wash it or something?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I haven't touched it yet. Still saran wrapped.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

JDM saran wrap?
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Awesome, your are keeping it :smt023
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah so far.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

what's your progress so far?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Zip. Still no gaskets. They haven't even shipped yet.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

That's a beautiful pic :)
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks! It was a surprise. Wasn't expecting it til thurs or fri since they gave me the UPS tracking number today lol. By the time I checked it, it had already been delivered and I didn't even know it.

Christmas came early! My cam retainer cap is at the machine shop waiting to get milled flat after I butched it up with my end grinder. I called the subaru dealer in olympia and they actually have the cam bolt I need in stock! I'll go over there tomorrow and get that, oil filter, coolant, copper turbo crush washers, oil pump Oring (either I forgot to order it or they forgot to ship it) and some distilled water. Then I should be pretty much good to go. Wrenching time! :)

Fixed my metro stumbling problem too! Yay!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

[quote="kimokalihi"]
Fixed my metro stumbling problem too! Yay![/quote]
Was it missing a cylinder? Bet that mileage is looking pretty good right about now.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Wow, On a Roll. Go Kimo, Go Kimo.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I must have mine running first! I must. I must... :-)

Good work kimo, glad you're on your way again to a running, awesome, prefacelift again.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

beatersubi wrote:Was it missing a cylinder? Bet that mileage is looking pretty good right about now.
lol Close. It was actually misfiring because the number 2 spark plug wire was arcing on the block or something. Replaced the wires and it runs like a champ again. Trusty meto. Still limped around getting me to work and back for 3 weeks while misfiring the whole time. It progressively got worse almost daily but it still held out until my slow ass was able to figure out what the problem was. If it would have just given me the misfire code right away instead of the EGR code it gave me at first I would have figured it out sooner.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

mike-tracy wrote:I must have mine running first! I must. I must... :-)

Good work kimo, glad you're on your way again to a running, awesome, prefacelift again.
The race is on my friend! I have to wait on the machine shop to fix my cam retainer and meanwhile I need to clean everything up and get it put together and also rewire the knock sensor wire that ripped off when I was removing the engine.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Watch out Mike I'm coming for you. Heh Heh.

Can't really tell but I replaced the rear main seal. Appeared there was a slight leakage here but I would have replaced it anyways just for peace of mind.

Mike said the engine was really clean but the pistons were 10X nastier than the pistons in my forester block.

Number 2 and 4 pistons had carbon build up pretty bad on the exhaust sides of the pistons. 1 and 3 had none. Odd. I scraped it all off. Took a while to clean them up but they look much better even though they still look dirty.

Then I started swapping parts off my forester block onto the WRX bock. Starting with the coolant crossover pipe which immediately broke a bolt off. Back to the junkyard again.

Then I saw my crank case vent hose was cracked on the forester block. Wonder if I will be able to find the proper size hose to replace it at a parts store. Or if the NA 2.2 legacy's have this I can snag one at the junkyard while I'm looking for a coolant crossover pipe bolt.

All stripped and lonesome now. :(

10 hours of work on both my metro and my legacy engine and I left off here. Not a bad start. I wanted to keep going but I had been up for 24 hours at this point. In fact I'm still up and it's been 27 hours now. Crazy. Got on a good roll today. Soo glad I fixed the metro so I don't have to stress about my only mode of transportation to work. Also really stoked that I got some much done on my engine and I'm ready to tackle it again.

I would have put the oil pump on but I thought the O ring came with the pump (they usually do on other cars) so I had to go to the dealership and get it there along with that cam bolt I destroyed grinding the head off after I stripped it.

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Dirty pistons, they clean up, lol. That longblock, is that the wrx 20g? Holy crap you work fast!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's your WRX block. You even scavenged the temp sensor off the front end of it or whatever that was! Oil pressure sending unit or something. It wasn't that fast. 10 hours of work between the two cars. All hand tools, as usual. Plus I had to stop to talk to my mom, go in the house warm up and get on the interwebz for 15 mins trying to find the damn torque specs and tightening sequence for the head bolts. My first time bolting heads onto a subaru engine.

What a ridiculous process too. Tighten to this spec in this order. Then tighten it to this spec in the same order. Now untighten them 180 degrees each reverse order. Then untighten them another 180 degrees reverse order. Now tighten them 90 degrees in the original order. Then tighten them 45 degrees same order. Then to top it off tigthen the center bolts an extra 45 degrees on top of that.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Well Kimo, if you think I gave you a bad deal, I'll gladly give you your money back. I rode in the car with that motor, and it was running really nice but rich since it was on an ej22t ecu. The valve cover gaskets were shot, and as I mentioned one of the oil lines came off when when starting it up after installing it, causing a bit of oil to get on the block.