1993 Legacy codes

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

saintchuck
In Neutral

1993 Legacy codes

Post by saintchuck »

Hi--
Great site, just found it. Junkman's pics and explanations were very helpful when we recently replaced a canister purge solenoid valve. Thank you!

My son wants to sell his 1993 Legacy and it passed the emissions test for the smog certificate, but it the CHECK ENGINE light is on so he can't get his certificate (this is required in California). He took it to a shop and for $90 they ran some codes: six came up, and they concluded that he must need a new computer since if that many came up at once, the car wouldn't be running as smoothly as it is. They wanted $800 to replace the computer, for starters.

We plugged in the green connectors and did our own check, and one code came up: 35. So we checked the part
(solenoid, above) and sure enough, it was bad. Went to the local junkyard, checked out one from a '95, it was good, we pulled it, they let us have it for free (nice guys!) Installed it and ran the code check again and this time 35 didn't come up, but 21 did (coolant temperature sensor).

My question is: aren't all the codes supposed to come up one after the other when you run a check? If we replace the coolant sensor and run checks again, is it likely there are more lurking in there?

Thanks in advance! 1993 Legacy L 5-speed.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Re: 1993 Legacy codes

Post by BSOD2600 »

I assume you've already read through http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/codes.htm to find the definition of the codes. The mechanic trying to force you to replace the ECU is an idiot.

Yes, the ECU stores a few old codes at any given time, which should flash in sequence. Since you had so many stored codes, I would reset the ecu (follow the instructions above since pulling the battery doesnt reset it) and then drive around a bit until a new code comes back.

If you want to get really fancy, a data cable from EvoScan on conjunction with RevScan, will show you current and stored ecu codes via a PC and allow you to clear/reset them.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
saintchuck
In Neutral

Post by saintchuck »

I tried what you suggested and IT WORKED!! "Check Engine" light is off!
Thank you! I hadn't seen the post you recommended. Thanks again!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

You may want to check out the sticky thread in this forum. It's got a lot of good links to other helpful threads.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20391
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm