Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

xise
Third Gear

Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by xise »

After searching for well over a year for an SS I found one only to have it bought before I could come down and take a look at it! But lo and behold it turns up here again with some issues fixed and....ROD KOCK. But the seller also had another EJ22T from a 93 kickin around his garage so I grabbed that a rear 3.9 Diff and the carr along with a plethora of other parts I have yet to fully inventory!

Anyway here is the SS still on the flatbed

up in the drive way, the rods were really knockin climbing that incline fully loaded to the gills with parts lol

REALLY LOW with all those parts and the motor in there

bone stock motor...with rodknock lol

the good motor all tucked away in the trunk :D

plenty more pics to come!
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Re: Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by Falken-18c »

looking foward to plenty more pics to come
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Got all the parts out of the car and into the shed

had to go ut and buys some shelves just to fit all this stuff

just got these in the mail day after the SS got here

V7 STi struts

CHIMNEY!!!!!!!
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

does any one use that i didnt have one on my 93 ss
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

The chimney? It doesn't do anything IMO maybe theres less heat around the engine bay TECHNICALLY.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

lol I am going to see if it will fit with the TMIC on..it is supposed to direct air directly over the turbo and also serve as a heat shield inside the engine bay...it does at the very least serve as a functional heat shield if nothing els.

got a splitter comming in so it will actually work
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

so from what I understand, these struts only need the legacy tophats to bolt right up? Anyone know where to get some nice camber plates that will work? :D
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

The front's should be the same! But the rear you will need to swap the top hats.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

thanks man, I thought the fronts needed to be swapped also..saves me some time!! I just got a few more things the splitter I ordered
this one came from an 02 WRX, it has the nozzles for a water sprayer which i am serioiusly considering getting the stuff for...

I also have everything I need to do some PM on the motor before we swap it, water pump, oil pump timing belt, a few gaskets, no headgasket but I was seriously considering it as I would hate to do all this work just to have the headgaskets fail.

another issue is that the shed I am using an an impromptu garage is a step or 2 above where the parking spot is.....so if I wanted to swing a hoist under the car I would have to get the motor onto a pallete or dolly and roll it over to the shed, move the hoist up the steps and hoist the motor onto a stand inside the shed....either that or throw some planks down and drive the car (with rod knock mind you) up about a 40 degree incline to do the swap right there....first in reverse to get the motor out...then turn it around and pull the motor that is in there.....sounds like a humongous PITA but we shall see.....This would be a million times easier with a garage
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

i'm curious if that splitter fits right against your tmic. I have the matching one to my 06 tmic, but haven't bolted it on to the hood yet.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Xise, I have a I/C sprayer kit off an STI if you're interested
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

mike-tracy wrote:i'm curious if that splitter fits right against your tmic. I have the matching one to my 06 tmic, but haven't bolted it on to the hood yet.
I hope so, the splitter is from an 03, and my intercooler is from an 06, the splitters all look the same to me as far as 3 bolt bottom and top soooo I am guessing that the only difference is the height of the part that sits inside the scoop, I imagine an STi splitter would be too tall for mine.
Florin1 wrote:Xise, I have a I/C sprayer kit off an STI if you're interested
perhaps :D is it th trunk mounted one? That's the one I am looking for, also do you have the spray nozzles and water lines??

I was going to see if the Glycol recovery vehicle at work used nozzes that fit the splitter andrun my own water lines etc....but if you have em I very well may grab those from you.
hopefully the nozzles from this will fit...we shall see......
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

I'll have to look closer at it, but i dont think i have the actual nozzles. Yes it is the trunk mounted one, with motor, tank, and lines. I'll text u some pix if you pm me your cell...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

pmed you!! I hope you got the nozzles lol they seem quite hard to find!

Almost forgot, by some strange twist of fate, turns out I got my intercooler from ebay that I thought was a scam after all. What happened was I bought an 07 WRX IC from ebay, the two weeks later i shoot the seller and e-mail about what happened...no response, after 2 more emails and still nothing from seller. So I wait until the expected date the package is supposed to arrive and before then I see under his name "no longer a registered user" so I file a case. I win the case, get my money back and another week later, I get teh TMIC..WTF?!

Since then I already ordered another tmic from an 06, so I will have 2 intercoolers...which isn't bad just because I am also going to have an EJ22T in my RS after I rebuild the motor with knock. Just looking for the right heads
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Turns out that wrx splitter does not fit the hols on the SS hood....not to mention that someone had cut the ghood to fit the 04 wrx scoop....so I need to either make mounting plate for this or try a splitter from a GC wrx....this one is in such perfect shap I kinda want to use it on my RS as it bolts perfectly up to that....still undecided though
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

I'm lovin the suspension.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

thanks man can't wait to see how it sits on em. Ok so tomorrow I have off so my goal is to get the motor out of the trunk and on a stand. I already have all the parts I need to freshen this motor up some to hopefully get it over the 300k mark....the chassis has 202k I believe, lol I actually have the odometer that reads the same mileage as the motor that's going in...not sure about swapping it over though.

after I get the motor out of the trunk my DD needs some serious attention as the front end is knocking all around, I put REALLY cheap ($9.60 a piece) ball joints and tierods in and they are already bunked. Got some Moog replacements and I should have a stance coilover kit at my doorstep tomorrow as well :D.

After that I seriously need to paint these cars lol none of my subarus are one color!!!!! This shit is getting ridiculous!

also considering doing head gaskets...but the might be no need, if it were an impreza I would be doing them, but since i have heard that these hold strong i'll leave em...unless you ppl think I really just should as a PM....either way I think I might need a better torque wrench than my harbor freight special lolz
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

going to order some camshaft seals as well as a rear main seal...maybe even that cover plate too if I have the plastic one. Once I do the timing belt, oil/water pump done, I am going to do the typical tune up stuff and get it inspected. Hopefully it will be running well and I can start having some fun with it
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

yea i only heard of the 2.5 headgaskets to go.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

I thought the early 1.8L and 2.2L NA also had single layer HGs from the factory....I could be wrong. I am still very new to EJ22Ts

in other news, I am on hunt for a proper (cheap) engine hoist. Once I get that I can get to work on this swap! Still collecting a few parts for after I get the motor up & running.

things I am going to need oncer the motor is swapped in;TD05

-trim piece for the passenger rear quarter.............
-TMIC ................................................................check
-TD05 16g w/ 90 inlet...........................................
-STi injectors (yellow or pinks)..............................
-headers.............................................................check
-uppipe...............................................................
-downpipe...........................................................
-catback.............................................................
-emanage of some kind........................................
-bodywork on rear wheel wells & rockers...............
-paint.................................................................

so I got my work cut out for me, now that my RS is all set I can get going on this :D I know a lot of ppl use revtronix here to handle mods just like this. Is the revtronix unit limited to ONLY the parts on the prereq? or can I use the turbo I want with bigger than 440 cc injectors??
GClark
First Gear

Post by GClark »

Nice progress! Im not sure if you are aware, but Revtronix is out of business.

Are you coming to WBM? We should have a section just for 1st gen Legacies..
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

^^^ this forum is just for 1st gen leggys.

the phase one 2.5 engines were really known for the HG problems.

wish i knew u needed an engine hoist, i have an extra.
also, dont forget i still have the PP6 if you need tuning.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Yeah I heard revtronix's founder went MIA in 2010 lol, well i'll let the HG go for now...I need to get one anyway for when I teardown the motor thats in there now.

Yeah man...although where the hell would you have stuffed it?? that leggy was jam packed to the max!! well almost :P I might take you up on that PP6 though...any word on that td05h??

Also I am really going to try and make WBM, hopefully I will have the car on the road at least..hopefully have at least one my cars painted Maaco wants almost $700 to paint my RS and I am prob going to paint the legacy myself, Satin black, or if I am feelin frisky I might try to paint it a gloss color keep it white or gloss black. My wife wanted me to paint it WRB but that might be expensive to get dealer paint, just b/c for a shop like maaco to match WRB it would probably look like crap lol

but needless to say I have big plans here....just a few things holding shit up right now
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Well my DD got mashed up yesterday...got tboned coming home from work. Scraped all long the entire driver side and neither of those doors open anymore. Frame could possibly be bent, but my windsheild didn't crack so it might be ok....I really hope so anyway. Getting it out of impound tomorrow So I will take a good look at the door pillar to make sure it isn't bent. If it is bent looks like the legacy will be getting all the goodies that will fit and I guess i'll part out the rest....fucking sucks though. Especially seeing how I just spent a few grand on parts and JUST got finished installing the last bit of parts it needed to be ALL SET mechanically....I was literally going to call wicked innovation for a corner balance and schedule an apt for it to be painted also......bullocks

I got to enjoy driving it for only one day with no more noises or problems...wtf...

I guess this means the leggy will be up/running sooner than inspected though...although for time's sake it will probably be a shop doing the T belt and other bits including the motor swap now...I REALLY wanted to do that myself though.....this sucks!!!
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Wow, bummer man. What car got tboned? (model/make)
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.