kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks Josh that helps a lot. I'm still not getting any continuity breaks when testing the crank sensor wires. I'm going to buy a new multimeter tester. The one I have the positive probe broke off and now all I have is a bare wire. Which still works but I'm unable to find alligator clips for it which makes testing these sorts of things very difficult since I only have 2 hands and need a third to easily wiggle the wires. I tried going to sears and buying a new set of wires for it that even came with alligator clips and other things but they changed the design of the plugs on them that go into the multimeter and they don't fit in my semi older (not that old only maybe 5 years) craftsman tester which basically forces me to buy a new one. I can't find the proper replacement wires on the internet either.

This is leading me to believe one of 4 things is happening here.

1. The connectors on the patch harness may not be getting a solid connection to the ECU harness side (not the ECU side apparently).
2. The wiring to the ignitors may be somehow faulty, if it's possible they could interfere with and cause this crank sensor code.
3. The harness that plugs into the patch harness just before the ECU has a loose wire.
4. Somehow my gauge installation on my steering column has a loose connection or short causing this problem.

I've ruled out the possibility of it being the actual wiring under the hood to the crank sensor because that shouldn't be affected by jiggled the ECU patch harness wiring. It could be simply that I somehow didn't have it plugged in all the way. That would be a relief and make me feel stupid at the same time.

I'm really a novice with electrical so I don't even know if a couple of the above theories even make sense. I'm going to buy a new multimeter with alligator clips and do some more thorough testing and then install it back into the car. Might even hook an alligator clip to the crank sensor pins on the vehicle harness and another clip to ground and see if I can find any issues there before installing the ECU again.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Do yourself a favor and get a Fluke. They're a little more initially, but even a basic one is better than most other brands and is sufficient for automotive work. And the accessories are pretty much universal.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Fluke is very good. You can get others that are as good, but are a little less expensive just because of not having the "Fluke" name. I've got an Extech multi-meter and it has been a very good meter, has same features as the similar models of Flukes. You can probably get something like this:

http://www.davis.com/catalog/product_in ... t=category

I'd go with the autoranging model, D0-20005-33
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Little bit of visual improvement that's also quite functional. Keeps that nasty mud splatter off the outside of the wheel wells. And I think it looks damn good.

Basic Universal Rally Armor mud flaps - $15.99 from http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/univers ... p-274.html Came out to about $27 after shipping. Bastards charge up the ass for shipping even though the package isn't that big and weighs next to nothing. :roll:

Lost control a little bit last night messing around in a gravel parking lot and I wound up kissing a grassy knoll which nearly tore my lip off. Ooops. :)

The mud flaps do not come with any mounting hardware so you're on your own there. I was unable to find any black self tapping screws with washers at 2 auto parts stores and a hardware store so I checked Wesco Paint Supply and they had all kinds of screws for mounting bumps and fender liners.

The iPod Touch strikes again! What a great purchase that was.

The rear wheel wells do not have the lip that stretches across like the front does so I had to find something else to bolt the inside of the flap to.

"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Looks hawt!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks I've wanted some flaps for a long time. It's like a dream come true! Not only is it badass looking but no more mud splatter to deal with. Yay.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

And bonus all 4 of yours are the same color, unlike someone I know. ;)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

That looks awesome! Any news with the wiring?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well, it drove great for 2 days after I taped the shit out of all the modified wires on the patch harness. I think one of them was shorting out on the ground wires but I wasn't able to tell for sure and after probably 8 hours of messing with it I was getting nowhere. Then it died again today once. So I put the ECU into the EJ22T case so I could finally mount it solidly and I put some more electrical tape on the wires and zip tied the ignitors in place and the patch harness in place so nothing can really move. So far so good but I've only driven maybe 40 miles.

Got 18.3 on the last tank and 19.5 on the tank before that. Ewww. That's not even getting on it that much. Well the last tank more so but the tank before I drove slow!
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

I went through this before, very similar situation and i feel for ya. not fun!

You've probably already considered this, but make sure the distance between the crank and the crank angle sensor is sufficient.
Also look at the sensor, housing, and wires to check for corrosion.

Glad you got it working a little though!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Nice Kimo. Copy cat. :-P You went crazy with them screws. I only used 3 per flap. I'm also thinking about taking mine off. I too have the cheap RA ones, but mine were for the wrx. The basic ones are starting to warp in the rear. Suck.

Shut up Mike. Its called "custom awesome". Its blood from all the slow cars i run over/kill.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Copy Shmoppy I didn't even see you had them until after I put mine on. So there. I was wondering how much these are going to bend over time. How long you had yours on?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SubaruNation wrote:I went through this before, very similar situation and i feel for ya. not fun!

You've probably already considered this, but make sure the distance between the crank and the crank angle sensor is sufficient.
Also look at the sensor, housing, and wires to check for corrosion.

Glad you got it working a little though!
The gap isn't adjustable though. How would I check that?

I really don't think it's got anything to do with the sensor itself. I think it's the patch harness modified wiring for the ignitors under the dash. If the problem only occurs when the harness is jiggled either by hand or from bumps in the road then I'm going to say it's the harness. Don't see how it could be the sensor all the way under the hood in the front of the engine. I could be wrong but it seems highly unlikely.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Gotcha,

If your distance isn't adjustable then I would forget it. I had that problem once though so thought I would try.

Get that harness solid and fixed in place then!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Harness is ziptied to the steering column. So far it seems to be working.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Filled up with some 101 octane fuel today. Going to see if the knock goes away. Rob thinks it's false knock coming from something else clanking and causing the knock sensor to pick up what it thinks is knock. 101 octane is NOT cheap. I was going to fill it all the way up since it was almost empty but settled with half a tank instead.

:shock:

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

WOW 101 is expensive!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah it was ridiculous. More expensive than C16 at the airport but that's leaded fuel I guess so I can't use it or it will destroy my O2 and wideband.

I was driving home thinking, "man, this must be what it's like to live in Europe" lol.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

lol haha :P I think there 101 isn't really 101 though?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No? Why not?
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Hmm someone was talking about it im sure someone will chime in to lazy to search right now. Off to bed for me.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

So did you notice any difference with the racing gas?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

I have the same Mud Flaps There Awesome I made Brackets to mount the rear Flaps though. they look great and really add a cool look : )
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah it seemed to have more power with the race fuel. Race fuel is gone. I drove about 400 miles yesterday :shock: It was crazy.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Did it get wayyy better fuel economy?