fuel and boosting question

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

snailslow
In Neutral

fuel and boosting question

Post by snailslow »

having owning a few turbo cars.. 240's and a audi with gt30. i see people say if u upgrade to a vf39 u need bigger injectors? well the stock pinks should be good for 250whp right? my audi had under 300cc injectors on the 1.8t and i was pushing 14lbs on the gt30 and i was still in the low 11's air/fuel and never had problems.. same with sr20's.. making 260+ on stock injectors.. maybe someone knows more than me and can help me out..
93 touring wagon
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Re: fuel and boosting question

Post by BSOD2600 »

Plenty of threads on here stating the need for larger injectors, but very few have documented proof (aka data logging). There is a thread somewhere that even with a TD04 when it reaches max boost for the person's car, which I think was ~16 PSI, the 440cc injectors were maxed out (aka near 100% IDC).

If you really want to know how close your car is running to the components limits, you'll need to data log. buy an evoscan ssm-I usb cable and either evoscan ($$) or revscan (free). then log the rpms, boost, and injector to determine how close you are to the limits. Also with a larger turbo the stock MAF will get maxed out and you'll need to upgrade to the JECS MAF; this mod requires a piggyback ECU or ECU upgrade (revtronix, robtune, etc).

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
snailslow
In Neutral

Post by snailslow »

ya im just doing my research and seeing whats cheaper.. upgrade the 22 or just get a ej20.. i plan on converting my wagon to 5sp, so that would come with the ej20 too
93 touring wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Unfortunately, most of the engine components on these cars was sized right at their limit. You can push them a little further, but not much. As BSOD2600 pointed out, you need to datalog to see where your sitting now.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm