More power from stock turbo?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Thesubielover
Third Gear

More power from stock turbo?

Post by Thesubielover »

I was wondering where or how I can get more psi from my stock turbo. I have some more mileage to put on it before it will need to be replaced. Any info? I have a full stock 93 16v 2.2t sport sedan with all power options, sun roof, and 5spd and currently 114,350 miles. I'm looking to get a turbo back, CAI or de-snorkus method, and coil overs done for step one. TMIC and turbo is step two. I'd love some insight and pointers. Open to anything! Thanks!
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Re: More power from stock turbo?

Post by Apex3 »

Boost controller. But before you up the boost you should have an intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, and I think MAF(but I don't remember if that's neccesary), and you really should have a boost guage. Someone correct me if I'm missing anything there.

Congrats one what looks to be a new purchase 8) Lemme know if you wanna buy some stock WRX wheels, lol
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Okay, sounds great. I've been looking around online and would like some info on boost controllers and tmic's. I am interested in some WRX wheels. What era are they from?
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48874
:-D

I can't help you too much with boost controllers, haven't done it myself(except the MBC but I just got a good deal on one so I don't know much about what is/isn't good) if you search the turbo section for MBC, EBC, boost controller, etc... plenty of info should come up though. Also this thread pretty much covers everything you need to know about swapping in a WRX TMIC, which is the most common swap, or you could go with the AWIC that came stock on the Legacys across the pond, which again there is a lot of info on the board for that already
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38598
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Yeah, this thread is great. I live in downtown seattle if you'e be interested in meeting up ever. I would love to purchase the parts in the next few months, my friend is finishing up his 400+hp 2001 a4. We have tools, brains, beers, and food for some fun time if your interested. Let me know if you ever want to check the car out too.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Apex3 wrote:Boost controller. But before you up the boost you should have an intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, and I think MAF(but I don't remember if that's neccesary), and you really should have a boost guage. Someone correct me if I'm missing anything there.

Congrats one what looks to be a new purchase 8) Lemme know if you wanna buy some stock WRX wheels, lol
MAF won't help without engine management/chipped ECU.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Where can I get a managment or chipped system from? COBB?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No actually a chipped ECU is only available from one person and that's Rob. He's a member here and also on NASIOC and he sells EJ20G (JDM WRX) chips for about $250 for the chip alone.

All the info on this can be found here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43744

That's it for chips. You can also mess around with a piggy back if you want or stand alone but that's extremely expensive and you must know what you're doing. If you want more power, robs tune is probably the way to go. I'm running it with good results and the car runs great.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

That will work for the EJ22T as well? Thanks for the help. I'll be getting pictures up soon. Read an article about the new mayor in the paper down where your at. Pretty interesting.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Did you? That's funny I know nothing about it!

Rob is working on an ej22t tune for us. You can probably run the ej20g ecu and ignition converter but your best bet is to ask rob about it. I don't see why it wouldn't work except robs ecus are tuned for a larger turbo and injectors and a different mass airflow sensor and dohc heads that flow better.