Interest Poll : CF front window triangles

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

Are you interested in CF window triangles?

No.
27%
Yes, and I'm willing to figure out how to mount them myself.
23%
Yes, but only if they come ready to mount.
50%

Total votes: 22

Northwind Composites
First Gear

Interest Poll : CF front window triangles

Post by Northwind Composites »

While I'm waiting for the sunroof mold I got to thinking what other small things would be cool to have made out of carbon fiber for our cars. And it occured to me - those stupid little plastic triangles that cover the side view mirror mounting always seem to crack.

I can make the triangle pretty easily but I haven't figured out an easy way to make barbed posts like the factory one has for mounting. Double stick tape perhaps? Anybody familar with post standoffs that you can buy and glue on?

Price for a set would probably be around $40 or so. They're not big but there is a finite amount of labor involved and also tooling costs to consider. This would be for just the triangles and then you'd have to figure how to mount them.

I do have other weave patterns beyond the basic 2x2 twill carbon fiber too so some customization can be accomplished to tie into your existing interior scheme.

I know the BBS is more functionality based, but, I thought I'd throw out a poll to see. If anyone has any other ideas on items would be interested in and think others would too - by all means feel free to bring them up.

* I've had a few PM's about hoods and trunklids - those will be coming for post-face lift cars but figure mid-summer time frame.

As always, please let me know if there's any questions or items I can address.

Thank you,

Lee
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Interest Poll : CF front window triangles

Post by evolutionmovement »

This might be ambitious, but what about a one piece front end? Glass. CF would be too much.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Just my opinion but I really hate the look of carbon fiber. It's too ricey and overdone. I would however possibly be interested in parts that significantly reduce the weight of the vehicle, so long as cost isn't too high. And if that means using fiberglass, I'm down for that too. Like maybe a hood. Doesn't have to be fancy, could just be a stock NA hood replica but lighter. I liked the sunroof glass idea and it would mean that I wouldn't have to constantly close my sunroof shade because I don't like the light coming in. I'm not sure how much weight that would really save though, can't be too much for such a small part.
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Steve - a single piece front end is a little ambitious. The tooling required would be well over $8k. The part itself, even just glass, would likely be well over $1.5k. So yeah, I wouldn't count on that one :).

Kimo - I tend to agree with you on the look of CF. It is overdone and seeing it no longer indicates a performance part anymore due to all the crap out there. However, I do think properly done it can accent things well. The sunroof can save up to 40lbs but these little triangles - yeah I don't think you're going to notice an ounce or two.

Thanks for the input though gentleman and keep it coming. I'm here to best serve you so I need to know what you want.

Thank you.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That glass is 40 lbs?? wow

Exactly what I was saying about the ricey part. You can buy any interior/exterior part these days with a cabon fiber paint job for dirt cheap on ebay and every 16 year old has that crap all over their car. There's probably 10X as many fake carbon fiber parts now than real ones. They've ruined it for me.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

yeah, i don't really care what they're made of as long as they're available for when i inevitably break mine trying to replace my door mirror. Though, i will say that if they don't like carbon fiber, that would be fantastic. i'm partial to solid black.
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

I've already broke mine! I would prefer black as well, but ill settle for anything to replace my broken triangles.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

originalcyn wrote:yeah, i don't really care what they're made of as long as they're available for when i inevitably break mine trying to replace my door mirror. Though, i will say that if they don't like carbon fiber, that would be fantastic. i'm partial to solid black.
CF is paint-able.

Replacement triangles that are more robust that the 20 year-old originals would be nice, regardless of the material they're made of. Some might like the 'race' aspect of carbon. I'd likely paint them. I don't know that I'd very easily give up 40 of my hard-earned dollars for a set, though. I frequent the local u-pull-it JY.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

That's fair. I guess I could always just paint the sets i found. I don't always find them in good shape, and when I try to take them off they usually break, lol. But yeah, that's probably the best option. I have black ones now, that was a lucky find.

I wouldn't want fiber colored ones, i think it might be a bit much, but i guess i could always just paint those ones black too.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Grease them before putting them back on to prevent snapping the next time you remove them.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

that makes perfect sense. Thanks! that'll help, assuming i don't break them taking them off this time. lol.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I would buy triangles
NorthwindComposites2

Post by NorthwindComposites2 »

Sorry for the way late response. I've been dealing with resin issues, see the sunroof thread.

Anyhow, I did build the mold for these guys. I should be getting the first couple made this weekend and will get some pictures posted up next week.

Pricing hasn't been set yet as I'm going to make a couple test ones to verify material usage and time - but they'll be pretty cheap, still around the $40 mark depending on whether I add the pegs or you do.

Let me know if there are any questions and I'll get some pictures up next week.

Thank you.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Who are you and why do you have zero posts?
; )
NorthwindComposites2

Who am I? I'm Lee Skidmore. My other, non-business user name is Skid542. Long time family member of the BBS :) *albeit a little astranged as of this last year while I've been busy with the business

I do not know why I have zero posts. The only posts I've made with the Northwind Composites screen name is in the Vendor Forum so I'm guessing it's not counting those? I don't know, I haven't gotten Josh or Dave to setup this SN as a Vendor so maybe that's why it's not counting?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Would you like me to just change the Dspin Fabrication user name to this one and then we can delete this user name?

That'd make things easier I think.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
NorthwindComposites2

Josh, that'd work just fine. The only item is the Dspin Fabrication may still be tied to my old axiscomposites.com email instead of my new one at Lee@NorthwindComp.com.

Otherwise, yes, I'd love to be able to get rid of the Dspin Fabrication name or convert it to Northwind Composites to avoid any clarity issues. Let me know if you need any additional information or there's something I can do to help.

Thank you.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

beatersubi wrote:Who are you?
From my dealings with Lee, I can tell you that he's an upfront guy. Great to do business with. He knows his stuff. Helpful and knowledgeable. A treasured member of Legacy Central!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Easy, guys. I was kidding. I know Lee is a regular contributor here (and a standup guy), I was simply trying to make light of that he has zero posts.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

And I'm sorry if I came across too harsh or anything. I was just trying to establish Lee's credentials so newer ones on the bbs would realize that he can be trusted.

I just went back to your first post on this thread and realized you HAD put in a smiley face -- I should have known you were joking. My apologies. It's nice to know that just about all of us on the bbs get along.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

And I suppose I should know by now that sarcasm doesn't translate.
No biggie.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

NorthwindComposites2 wrote:Josh, that'd work just fine. The only item is the Dspin Fabrication may still be tied to my old axiscomposites.com email instead of my new one at Lee(at)NorthwindComp.com.

Otherwise, yes, I'd love to be able to get rid of the Dspin Fabrication name or convert it to Northwind Composites to avoid any clarity issues. Let me know if you need any additional information or there's something I can do to help.

Thank you.
Lee,

You should be good to go. You may need to update your profile and signature. If you have any issues, let me know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Ooh! Ooh! I got a fancy idea for mounting them......
Northwind Composites
First Gear

^^^ Pm'd.

BTW gentlemen, I have the mold finished and will make the first batch of these late next week.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

scuse me but i do have a question,
Are you referring to the triangle just over the front door windows glasse? "flexible plastic?"
the one that are usualy cracking and make wind sound as i roll on highway???.
i have these issue even with my 1999 outback too and my t-let 94, seem like windows raise up too much and make the plastic break. are we speaking of the same thing???