Northwind Composites - Status Update

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

Northwind Composites
First Gear

Re: Northwind Composites - Status Update

Post by Northwind Composites »

Kimo, there are two options.

Option 1 - I trim the panel so it's the same size as the factory glass and it replaces the glass so that it the sunroof is still functional.

Option 2 - I trim the panel a little large and upon installation you do a little final sanding to fit just the opening. You would then mount the panel to some aluminum angle pieces attached to the roof sheet metal and you effectively remove the entire sunroof assembly - tracks, motors, etc. The installation thread I have in the Body Chassis forum is Option 2 and should have pictures of the install.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I think you can choose whether you want it to function or not. Correct me if I am wrong though.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I thought you could choose whether you wanted to have it closed always or be able to function
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Sorry I my computer wouldn't update my post until after you answered the question
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Also does anyone else get excited when they see an update on this thread?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I do. That's cool that's it will work either way. The sunroof weighs a ton. I remember holding it basically on my back while I was hunched over inside the car trying to bolt it in place. I though I was going to drop it before I could get it bolted in all the way.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

ill definitly buy a hood went you get some done, i would consider the sunroof too but at this moment i am rebuilding the whole car so i need to get this done before going into fency stuff, but this look promising good job bro
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

ill take post face hood oem style, trunk with that stupid plastic center molded all one piece carbon & glass replace. that should cut down on some good weight
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Would it be possible to get a trunk garnish that is euro style for euro plates?
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

wont look well, unless you switch the bumper too no?!?
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Tr but its a start since my goal is to find a bumper too
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

i was thinking at first going to "uk, euro" read end bumper and trunk too, definitely look better, but just to get a part ship here is over price, im so glad were speculating about having some made here, thx to Northwind Composites.
if you menage to get the rear bumper just let us know how much did it cost you.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Ill let you know. My sister lives in New Zealand so we are trying to make something work. Or might try to turn the USDM license plate location into something else
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I would kill for white carbon fiber side skirts
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Very cool. That red looks sinister. Would look amazing on a red legacy or that blue on a WRB
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Northwind Composites wrote:I'm trying hard not to clutter up the Vendor forum. *Mod's, please feel free to clean as necessary, I don't want to disrupt the cleanliness of the BBS.
It's the vendor forum....your a vendor.....clutter away :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Still very excited!
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

Who are not hehehe
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Post by Northwind Composites »

Okay, late again on the update, but here it is :).

Four weeks ago I got hit with the plague and lost four days to my couch/bed. The following weekend was a race weekend and I spent Friday morning through Sunday night at the track (I'm president of the local Auto-X club so race weekends are busy...)

Therefore I FINALLY got back into the shop for some solid time two weeks ago and last weekend was good.

So, after scrapping two parts due to incomplete fusion (about 5% didn't wet out) I gave up on that resin and tried resin #3. Resin #3 works great for infusing but it has two 'draw backs' I'm working through. First is that it has a long cure time so I'm currently stuck only curing on the weekends (Fri-Sun) as it's an 8hr 180 deg. F cure. Takes a while to cure but it's a great strong resin and very resilient. Second issue with it is that it is extremely aggressive and my first mold release didn't quite cut it. This resulted in me having to rebuff my mold. So I tried mold release #2 Sat. and it worked great.

All this means that I have a system that's working well, readily available, and I'm back to making parts. Due to the longer cure time I'm limited to about 2-4 parts per weekend off the sunroof mold. I will be making more this up coming weekend but the following weekend is another race weekend.

Because racing has started and my baby is not on the track yet I have been feeling an extreme withdraw from my turbo and working to get it back on the road with all the goodies. Don't know if I'll hit the May 19-20th races, but this is actually good news for you as some of what I'm waiting on is what you are waiting on - hood, skid plate, and rear seat replacement (more news on that one later ;)).

I had 10yds of Kevlar arrive last week that will be getting used for my splash guard/skid plate (not all 10yds will go into my piece leaving extra for production :)). I have the plug in work already and should be pulling the mold this weekend. I will get some pictures posted up when I have something more to show. It'll be a nice smooth splash guard with enough strength to take an Auto-X cone hit and not care. Not full on skid plate, but a good intermediate between skid plate and danty splash guard. I can make these as light or beefy as requested depending on what you may want.

The plug for the post face lift hood is also progressing. I should be finishing it this upcoming weekend if not before.

I have $1400 worth of tooling resins/compounds on the way to make the skid plate, hood, and a 4'x8' caul plate (shinny flat mold). The 1/2hp mixer I needed for the larger molds showed up last week and it's now operational and ready for use.

The window triangles have been coming out 'okay' but I need to make an intensifier for the sharp corners to make sure it's getting compressed correctly. Once I get the intensifier made I can start getting some to Iron Monkey and he's got some great mounting ideas - Thanks Iron!

So, while there hasn't been much getting posted here - things have definitely been moving forward. So hang tight and keep being patient. We'll have some awesome goodies soon :).

Let me know if you have any questions - email is probably your best shot as I haven't been the best at getting on the BBS. As you know though, I am all ears on any thoughts, concerns, or requests.

And just in case anyone was curious, here are a few process pictures.

Bagged and ready to infuse.

Infusing a cool part.

Infusion complete and curing ready to begin.

Parts are beginning to stack up :) *Note that two of those are the scrapped pieces.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Oh the excitement builds!
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

yeah so excited at this moment, definitely gonna grab a hood for sure you working on what year exactly 90-92 or 93-94?
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Post face-lift at the moment
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

hopefully the pre-face can be made as well. can put me down for one for sure.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

okay i have 94 i guess it will take year or more, in any way i get one for sure, but im just worry if its will reach that point.
this guy look serious, but how many time we have seen ppl pretending working on something and just end up never end their project, just hoping this one will be a successful story