Having a hell of a time with a turbo rear caliper

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bdub
Second Gear

Having a hell of a time with a turbo rear caliper

Post by Bdub »

This is driving me crazy! My caliper currently on my 91SS is seized (left rear). It burned off the old brake pads, it's stuck so bad. I have been looking around for a used one for weeks.
I finally just gave up, and started searching the auto part stores online. I finally found one, so I ordered it. Once it came in, I go to put it on, and it just will not fit. I'm a bit confused, because obviously the description on this box says it is for a 91SS (remanufactured) however, it is too narrow, like it isn't made for the vented rear brakes. Everything else fits fine, however the caliper will not close because of how wide the rotors are.
I'm wondering what car this caliper even came off of, because the n/a calipers are a different setup, and the only the different here is the width of the damn thing. So, now I'm stuck once again looking for another caliper.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Having a hell of a time with a turbo rear caliper

Post by evolutionmovement »

IIRC, the wagon rear calipers are the same as the turbos. Maybe they sent you an N/A sedan?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

They sent me an n/a caliper for the 14" wheels. Unfortunately they never place actual manufacturer part numbers on the sites, just their own. Makes it more difficult to get the right part.

Stupid me, should have just gone down to my locally owned auto parts store, where he found one and it came in today. These morons at the auto part chain stores are useless, and I'm not even sure why I never tried the locally owned place the first time.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

no, wagons still have solid rotors, but they do have a larger piston. I'd go to napa or autozone in person and order a caliper so you can bring it back if it's wrong.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Confusing. Do I have this right -
NA sedan had the small rear pistons
NA wagon had large rear pistons but same bracket and solid rotor as sedan
Turbo wagon and sedan both had large piston calipers with vented rotor

In other words I'd like to know are Turbo wagon and Turbo sedan calipers the same?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, I believe you have that all right. And, yes, turbo wagon and turbo sedans have the exact same rear (and front) calipers.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You are correct.

My brake math spreadsheet has all that data.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... kemath.xls
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm