S-AFC Questions

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

S-AFC Questions

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

How many people are running one of these on their cars? I hooked the series II up and everything apears to work except the Airflow Adjustment. I can't get my A/F ratios to change. I spent several hours with a friend adjusting the thing and measuring the ratio with a voltmeter. At full +50%, I think that's the max, the ratio was lower than that without the the thing on the car.

The only response I got that the adjustment worked is when we put it somewhere near -35% and the CEL came on. I've since rehooked up the MAF input and output wires and left the rest of the harness attached.

Maybe I have the settings wrong. What settings should I have? Maybe a nice step by step procedure on how you adjusted the settings once it is installed.
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Ummmmm..... first off I would have to say sell it. It's by almost all means impractical and useless. Save up for a stand-alone ECU.

Set it to whatever the heck you want... the ECU will eventually learn around it. Every couple of months or so you will have to disconnect the unit, reset your ECU, then reprogram the S-AFC again. :roll: I know since I rode in a guys car that had one on his subie and he said it was the biggest pain in the neck. I can get you in contact with this guy if you so desire.

Second off, you'd be like 1/3 of the way to an ECU if you can get a good price for it.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

Luckily, I didn't purchase it. I put a friend's unit in my car. I would have been so pissed if I spent the money for one and it did what it did.
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Brat4by4: Not correct. Its very useful if you know how to set it correctly I plan to have one once my turbo wagon is completed.

FrmRgz2Rchz: The issue is that you are adjusting the ECU under normal throttle conditions, something you normally dont do. You have to change the Low/Hi throttle points so that the AFC ONLY effects full throttle and nothing else. Then you have to tune only during full throttle runs. This is the only time that you wont get learning.

The build in interpolation between low and high will also screw you to the point that your A/F is never quite right, you basically disable this by setting the two close together.

Its funny, you have actually stumbled across the method of tuning for VERY large injectors on the stock ECU! If you increase the injector size too much the ECU isnt able to "lean" the car out enough (since the same duty cycle with the new injectors is now significantly more fuel). You can do a calculation and figure a number to adjust them across the board (say -15).