Post by turbo970 »

is that brand any good or worth trying?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: godspeed performance? any good?

Post by cj91legss »

nope
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

why do you say nope?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Cheap ebay products like those will get you rebuilding blocks....
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

i was looking at their tmic. i seen a couple on here for sale but with out the tubing just the innercooler. i'm putting a new motor in my leggie and they recommended putting a inner cooler on it. i called the subie dealer and well a factory wxr tmic is out of my price range. i'm not looking for high hp just mods to keep the new engine reliable. its a dd not a race car
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Is it a stock Legacy Turbo engine? If so, an intercooler is a waste if all you're after is reliable DD. The stock engine can be beat to hell and back without an intercooler and will barely flinch.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

well i'm going to put a turbo back exhaust and doing the the coffee cup mod and later on going to try the grimm speed electric boost controller.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Well if you plan on upping the boost, then yeah it'll help.

Aftermarket TMICs almost definitely won't fit, our cars have less space than the WRX due to the design of the intake manifold (WRX/STI have the plenums pushed forward). I'm pretty sure the stock STI intercoolers don't even fit without a hammer. Also, the stock piping on the WRX TMIC is useless for us. So don't worry about buying a used one without it, you'll need to make your own regardless. There's lots of threads about it in the intercooling forum.

Also, if you're sticking with the stock turbo (or even upgrading to a TD04) I'd suggest a good manual boost controller like the Hallman Pro or similar. It's far cheaper and will give you solid boost control with stupid-easy installation.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

i'm sticking with the stock turbo for another6 months to a year. and that's just a maybe.i'm not going crazy on this. just wanna make this engine breath good and last a long time.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I can't stand the cheap aftermarket intercoolers. They essentially don't actually do any cooling because the core is so poorly made and the fin density is so low. Find yourself a stock wrx IC which has a much better core and will be easier to fit. Unless you are making like 350hp it's sufficient.

And intercooling is not a waste of time. Compressing air makes it very hot. To make 8psi you are raising the temperature over 200F.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

jamal wrote:And intercooling is not a waste of time. Compressing air makes it very hot. To make 8psi you are raising the temperature over 200F.
That may be, but the +200F air doesn't make the car less reliable on a the stock tune. When I said that I didn't think he was too concerned about performance.

turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

i may do other upgrades but for now i just need it to be reliable. the biggest upgrades i'm doing is the exhaust and when it gets back from the shop is the coffee cup mod. and a better flowing air filter. after that i may try a mbc just to try it