Grinding Clutch?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Grinding Clutch?

Post by robertpaige »

I have a question, can't seem to find any related info.

I'm hearing a faint grinding noise when I disengage the clutch. Like when I go and start my car, tranny in neutral, I let the clutch out and there somewhat of a grinding noise, push the clutch in, and it's gone. The clutch is not slipping, car is driving fine. But i'm not sure what this means, possibly the throwout bearing?

ALSO, i'm worried about this too. If I pull out in 1st and get up to about 20, let off the pedal, the car does this jumping kind of feel and it makes a binding noise. Let off the gas and bind, bindbindbindbind. Haha not really sure how to explain it, wondering if anyone knows what I mean. Worried that my tranny and diff might be headed out. It sounds like it could be the diff to me. Gonna change all the fluids and see if that helps.

ANY info is appreciated.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Grinding Clutch?

Post by rallyak »

It sounds like input shaft bearings going bad. I just had my wife's trans freshened up for all the same reasons.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

How much did that run you? And by freshened up, what do you mean exactly?
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

About 1200$ and that's all new bearings and seals. But no hard parts (gears or diff ect.) and checked all clearances to get rid of the backlash. That was me doing the R&I work. I found that the bearings in these 5spds last about 200,000, I have two and put around 40 to 60k on them every year so mine last about 4 years. It also cheaper if nothing else is bad, learned my lesson the hard way after one locked up doing 65mph but it was making a lot of noise for about a year and had to hold it in every gear.
Charles

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Mine has 240k and I don't think anythings been replaced except the clutch so it sounds about right, hopefully I can do it soon. So i'm guessing they replaced the input shaft bearing and rear main seals and stuff? Assuming they dropped the tranny and didn't pull the motor. $1200 sounds decent, I wish I had a place to do it myself. Also what do you mean by you checked all the clearances to get rid of the backlash? and also by holding it in every gear? Because sometimes when I pull out in 1st from a light the tranny slips out of gear completley and jolts the car... idk if that has anything to do with your statement. Sorry for the noob questions. Lol
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

If the clutch was replaced they wouldn't of changed the input bearings. The trans case has to be opened to be replaced. As for backlash, you can feel it when you let your foot off the gas and give it more gas, it's the slop in the drivetrain you will feel a bump every time on and off the gas.
My old trans the gears were bad, so every time I would let my foot off the gas it would come out of gear. That's why I had to hold it in gear.
Charles

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Well I definitely have backlash then. So an input bearing would help resolve that?
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

The input bearings will fix the bearing noise not the backlash. When the shop opens the case they should go through it and make sure things are in spec.
Charles

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

What causes backlash? If I can just get a good N/A OEM tranny and swap it in, you think that would be a better solution? I know a guy out here that has a big subaru yard, I can get a good tranny for a decent price. also WRX trannys around here go for decent prices with low miles but that's quite a bit of work.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Wear on thrust surfaces in side the case. If you have a source on a low mileage one that could be an option but there always unknown factor when buying used. If you don't drive a lot I would drive it tell it goes south, then replace it.
Charles

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

It's my daily, so I drive it a lot. I might end up selling it to buy another legacy with lower miles, something under 200k. Would rather not put the money into get that bearing replaced just for the tranny to end up taking a death nap later on.