Exhust silencer

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lucas
Third Gear

Exhust silencer

Post by lucas »

stupid cop gave me a ticket for my exhaust being to loud.... Stupid asshole.

Anyway its an element tuning set up, some of you might be familiar if not check em out pretty cool deal. Cop said i can get a silencer for it and should take the ticket away but i have no idea where to get one. Anyone in the lakewood/tacoma/federal way are know where i can get a silencer or have one i can bum?
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
Corifto
First Gear

Re: butthole washington cop

Post by Corifto »

A. I'm new here, but I won't hesitate to call your wording ignorant at best, especially with the term "Stupid asshole", regarding a police officer. Let alone one that told you how to get out of the ticket.

B. You have a modified exhaust, which seems to have been too loud for your city/county/town's statutes. That's you, breaking that, not him. He's just doing his job.

C. I believe you also posted this in the wrong section.

D. For others that read this, allow me to edit OP's words, and tell you what he meant to say.
lucas wrote: So I got a ticket for my exhaust today, which is something I always knew could happen. The officer told me as long as I get a silencer for it, they'll throw out the ticket.

Does anyone have a silencer, or know of where I can get one?
-Corey
'93 240sx Hatch-Wrecked/Stripped
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'90 Miata-Sold
'89 240sx Hatch-Sold
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'93 Legacy Turbo Wagon
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have a silencer ill sell you. $20. I can get a picture. Came with the exhaust I bought for my car from whoever used it before me.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

In Washington State it is illegal to modify your exhaust from factory. There is not a specific noise level or anything. The RCW actually says that it is up to an officer's discretion whether to issue a ticket for modified exhaust.

I got a warning for too dark of tint and modified exhaust on Christmas Eve. The officer said that if I had gotten a ticket the only way for me to be legal and get it thrown out was to go to a Subaru dealership and have them put a completely stock exhaust on and then take the receipt to court.

Now, since it is up to the officer's discretion hopefully they won't force you to do that, even though it is what the RCW says. I've found that the best way to avoid exhaust tickets is one of two things:
1. If it's a Japanese car, put a stealthy tip on it even if it is loud. They don't like to see a giant cannon exhaust tip.
2. If it's a musclecar, you are fine no matter what. No one writes a ticket for a loud old American car.
:lol:
RCW 46.37.390 wrote:No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What a stupid law. Tlits perfectly legal to manufacture deafeningly loud harleys that trump almost evey car/truck exhaust around! My ex got a ticket for a loud exhaust and had to get a new muffler and have a police officer listen to it and sign off that it was "fixed".
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Exhust silencer

Post by Legacy777 »

I've edited the title to something more appropriate and moved this thread to the exhaust forum.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
lucas
Third Gear

Exhust silencer

Post by lucas »

Well when a cop walks up to your car yelling and has his hand on his gun he is a butthole 100%. There is no reason for that especially when you pull into a busy lighted gas station with tons of people around.

I still need a silencer though haha.
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Alphius wrote:
RCW 46.37.390 wrote:No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.
The way that's worded, it's illegal to modify your exhaust to be louder than stock, but doesn't say it has to be a stock exhaust. If they tried to tell me I had to get a factory exhaust at the dealership, I would definitely take it to court because I sure as hell wouldn't be caught dead paying the dealership significantly more than what I could pay a shop to give me a better-performing exhaust that's just as quiet and has the same emissions performance.

Glad I don't live there, my open downpipe probably wouldn't be too well received. I don't think Harley's are loud :P
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

+1^
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

Its just sad that this is what the police force drives around and does.....
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
georryan
Fourth Gear

Re: Exhaust silencer

Post by georryan »

I've lived in both small towns and large towns, and spent several summers in western Washington while spending the school year on the eastern side. What I'm about to say may be common sense, but here we go.

Small towns have officers that generally have little to do and you can find yourself with a ticket if you go as much as 2 miles per hour over the speed limit or make a right hand turn without using your blinker. Larger towns have a lot more people with a lot of things to sift through to prioritize how you spend your time. Someone with a louder exhaust in a larger town will probably get overlooked where in a smaller town they will not. That being said, I would be curious if you got profiled. My brother has been pulled over before because he was in a car that looked like a car they were looking for, and I've had friend pulled over because their car just looked suspicious and the officer claimed that what was hanging on the rear view mirror was illegal. I've even had an officer pass me on a mountain road while I was going 10 over the speed limit, and I watched him flip a moving ebrake 180 degree spin while flipping on his lights like I was hustling drugs. I was pulled over before he even finished his maneuver and he gave me a complete rundown by asking what I was doing and why I was in such a rush.

Long story short, its the officer's discretion and ignorance of the law is not an excuse. If for any reason an officer wants to investigate you further you will find yourself pulled over for bogus reasons, and find yourself with a simple fix it ticket for no other reason than the officer is "validating" the decision to pull you over, or you/I or whoever has been a bit of a mouth off or showing some disrespect and it is a pride and lesson giving decision. Once in a while you will get a warning if the officer is feeling graceful, but if the ticket was illegal, you can fight it and get out of it. In the end though, the law is how it is written and however it gets enforced is up to the officer. Its the legislation that makes the laws, and quite often they don't make the most logical sense for every scenario.

Although there are personalities out there that will be jerks and hand out tickets just because they can, there are times when we get tickets because in some way shape or form, we stood out of the crowd and asked for more attention.

I personally love the fact that my car is a sleeper. It looks good and has subtle lines that make it a good looking car, but I will never get pulled over as often as a wrx even with tinted windows and a slightly lower stance due to suspension modifications.

As an addendum...4 out of my 5 speeding tickets in the last 15 years have all come from Washington. =)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
WRXish
First Gear

Re: Exhaust silencer

Post by WRXish »

As an addendum...4 out of my 5 speeding tickets in the last 15 years have all come from Washington. =)[/quote]

To add to your addendum...:) I have never gotten a speeding ticket in my 91 legacy wagon in 15 years of ownership ( my parents owned it for the first 10 years ). I have surely gotten plenty of tickets in or on other modes of conveyance. Motorcycles...one ticket, other cars, more tickets than I can count. Old subys just dont seem to draw much attention.