WTB: black rubber shift boot

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
professor
Third Gear

WTB: black rubber shift boot

Post by professor »

Got one of those ugly original 5MT shift boots laying around ? Is it black and in good condition ?

At risk of sounding like a fetishist, I actually like the rubber boot, but just not in blue. I tried to dye mine but the damn thing is chemical resistant as hell and wouldn't take dye

So...I need a black one for my car

and I'll actually pay a nomnal fee to obtain one

pm me or duaned@4tpg.com
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You like those boots that keep you from feeling anything?! :)

The black ones only came on turbo models as far as I know, so you may have a hard time finding one. They're only like 20 bucks from discount dealers, though, so you might actually consider dropping the coin on a new one.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

vrg3, that reminds me. When did turbos come with black leather shift knobs? Aaron sold me a turbo shift knob that appears to be black, but that's only coz it's worn at the top. It's actually grey like my interior, so I have a grey shift knob, a black shift boot, and a grey interior :lol:

I don't want to buy a used boot, I'll just go to the stealership and order one for the correct year if I know what year to order...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It wasn't just turbos that had leather shifter knobs. LS and LSi models did too.

The info I have says that 91 turbos had the same gray leather-wrapped knobs used on LS and LSi models. Then 92 models had a slightly different gray knob. Then 93 models had a black knob. And then, 94 models had an off-black knob. Image

Incidentally, the leather is actually wrapped onto a standard vinyl knob... if you peel the leather off there's a regular shift knob underneath.

What are you going to order? A new black knob, or a new gray boot?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

something about that boot is "right" in the car...if its a japanese car with questionable interior styling, to me it deserves a rubber boot with questionable styling. Fitting a leather boot just doesn't seem right to me. That would imply a competent shifter which the Subaru simply does not have. After shifting a Miata with a shortened lever for a number of years, all others feel numb.

Plus, my dad had a 1968 1600 BMW when I was real little, and it had a rubber shift boot. At the time, there weren't many cars with sporting floor shifted trannys and I thought it looked real neat. Then later I bought my own 1971 2002 and it too had the black, round rubber shift boot.

What does all this mean ? Beats me but if you have a boot, I'll take it !!!
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Gotta keep to your roots.

Shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks for the part.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

vrg3 wrote:What are you going to order? A new black knob, or a new gray boot?
A new black knob. I already have my original grey boot.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Just a tip -- you may want to order a knob for a WRX instead of a Legacy Turbo. It costs like half as much. I don't know the precise cosmetic differences though.

Or why not pick up a barely used WRX or RS knob off NASIOC for like 15 dollars?
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

or $10 off of NASIOC :D

that's why I want the black boot, to match the knob and eventually hpefully a black steering wheel. The blue touchy surfaces suck, bad plasticky feel. Stuff you touch should be black, and leather.

BTW the WRX knob is shorter on the shank, so you have to pull the boot up way high (it does clip in though), and it looks like one of those dudes who pulls his pants up to his chest. I was hoping the top of the knob would sit lower, but not so, the thread depth is about the same.

Threading deeper and cutting 1 to 1.5 inches off of the level will restore order. Reach will be a little longer, but that will be fixed when I lower the sriver's seat by the same amount.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Re: WTB: black rubber shift boot

Post by bmxkelowna »

SUPER OLD THREAD BUMP!!!!!

having an issue with finding the black boot and shifter surround.
it should be part number 92070aa120ml, which is the part number for both together brand new, but when it finally came into the dealer today its not black!
the parts catalogue on this site on page 1057 #16 says black and all the interior black parts i can find have the color code of ML

the only issue is in the dealers computer ML is for "black - off black" and if you go to the start of the parts book from LC the 94 turbo shift knob is ML "black - off black" where as the 93 shift knob is VG "black"

so from what I can tell ML is off black and VG is black. the only issue with that is there is no part number for the boot and surround that ends with the color code of VG which "should" be black?
NightOwl
In Neutral

Re: WTB: black rubber shift boot

Post by NightOwl »

I hated my black boot so i removed it and it it currently sitting in my back seat. You want it? Its the black accordion boot and i have a 93 ss