Electric supercharger! COOL!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Electric supercharger! COOL!

Post by ciper »

Was that title deceiving? :lol:

Autospeed did all the math and we can finally see gems of information like
"flowing 265 cfm and developing a boost of 11.5 psi, takes 14.5kW to drive it" "So, to supply the current to drive an electric supercharger having the same airflow output as the most energy-efficient type currently available, it would take 1000 amps. To generate this much electrical power would require at least 8 heavy-duty alternators bolted to the engine."
and
"3 litre engine is revving at 6000 rpm full throttle," "each minute this engine consumes 254 cubic feet of air. To put that into context, a little 60mm diameter PC cooling fan flows only about 18 cubic feet per minute. So, just to flow the amount of air that this naturally aspirated, 3 litre engine needs, you'd need an array of fourteen 60mm fans working flat-out. And that's without creating any boost at all"

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0237/art ... larArticle

One important point they miss is how important intake tube size is. Inserting these fans greatly reduces size and will restrict the amount of air entering the engine.
The fans end up spinning at near supersonic speeds to keep up. I dont have to explain what happens to a cheap peice of plastic when it spins too fast! Lets just hope the plastic gets chewed up and passes through the engine without harm.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

only problem I have with that article is this line
a little 60mm diameter PC cooling fan flows only about 18 cubic feet per minute
That's a good lie. That's like saying a 2.0 liter engine only makes about 100 hp, different fans flow different cfm, and so this article gets a big fat X in my book. (don't let my opinion get you all riled up though)

The actual "supercharger" they were testing looks and most likely is a piece of crap.

What someone needs to do is slap this onto an engine and see if it makes a difference.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Hmmm... looks like it's rated for basically no backpressure. Try to put it on an engine and it looks like it will do nothing...

Take something like that and put a real blade on it and have it driven by the accessory belt and.... oh yeah, that's a centrifugal supercharger, they already make those :roll: .
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

When will people understand... If a little electric fan works, then why would anyone pay 2000$ for a real supercharger? That alone should prove that these electric superchargers are nothing but something to fool ricers out of their money!
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It's too bad the profits from these things didn't go to the government for like education or something. It would be an appropriate destination for what would essentially be a voluntary stupid tax.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

91White-T wrote:When will people understand... If a little electric fan works, then why would anyone pay 2000$ for a real supercharger? That alone should prove that these electric superchargers are nothing but something to fool ricers out of their money!
While I agree with you, I think your logic is flawed.

In many cases, it's the reverse. Companies sell working stuff that's really expensive, fooling ricers out of their money, when much cheaper solutions exist.

Witness the ~$140 HKS FCD and the ~$7 FCD I describe in my post in the Turbo forum (mine's not quite the same, but could be functionally more or less identical with the replacement of two resistors with a potentiometer).

If a $7 circuit works, why would anyone pay $140 for a "real" fuel cut defender? Because there are a lot of people out there with too much money who would never put something that cost less than a hundred dollars on their cars.

Or why would people buy $10983271928 blue headlight bulbs from PIAA if $20 Sylvanias work better?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

That Grainger would be rad to bolt onto a car. Screw that Garrett crap, I've got a Grainger! 6"X7" Outlet. Put that in your HVAC! No really. SOmeone with too much money to spend should try it. Too bad that's not me.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

Looks like snake oil to me, and if anyone wants to buy it, I have some stuff I would like to sell them.
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Some people claim slight improvements with these things and say it's probably because the fan's blades improve swirl and so fuel atomization. I have no idea whether that's believable or not given how the air has to then go through other tubing, the throttle body, and the intake manifold.

If it is true, I'd imagine it helps down low and hurts up high, since it's still a restriction.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212