Dip Your Car.com

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

pnw13black
In Neutral

Dip Your Car.com

Post by pnw13black »

Just curious if anyone has tried this stuff? I've used it before on small items but these guys are doing entire cars!
Its pretty cheap as well. www.dipyourcar.com
92 n/a leggy
5 speed swap
ACT Pro Lite flywheel
2.5rs Clutch
H&R Springs
Delta 220 cams
Second cat delete
Wrx wheels
RIP- Frankenmotor 2.5 :(
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Dip Your Car.com

Post by James614 »

Not sure how I feel about this. How durable is plasti-dip in the long-term? Will it separate at the edges and allow moisture in, promoting rust? How's the fade resistance? Does dirt get embedded into the coating like it does on tools and become impossible to clean over time?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I did my grille a long time ago, and it held up pretty well until some tape got on it and pulled it up. I actually ended up having to purchase some items from them tonight, so i'll let you know how that goes. I'd be reluctant to do an entire car, but i guess it comes right up if you're tired of it. So if i wanted a paint job i knew wasn't going to last longer than a couple years max i'd go for it.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I have been planning to do my Impreza as soon as it warms up. I have a couple buddies that have used it and I think it looks great. It is pretty durable and if you do get a scratch, you can just fill and blend it back. I have painted cars and I hate it, so much damn prep work. This stuff just goes onto a clean car. I did not plan to buy their kit though, just the plastidip.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

so, it cost like 12 dollars or something to ship 7 cans of plastidip and a "plastidip cleaner" from florida to washington. Shipping was a tad slow, but then i might have been spoiled by amazon shipping. Counting business days, it was a little more than a week for shipping. They have a dark gray that i ordered, charcoal i think, that's apparently exclusive to their store, which is kind of cool. The gun metal gray you can get at ace hardware and what not is pretty light colored personally.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

I was going to buy there kit rather go to this shop in Eugene OR and pay them 700 or just pay like 350-450 to do it myself lol
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Today:

At very least the nozzle for the metallizer splatters a bit, which is sort of frustrating. Of course, they're reselling cans of plastidip, so it's not like they're not a legitimate company. The only real question I have is to how long it will last. But that's not dipyourcar's fault or problem by any means.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are going to have a very very clean garage and a lot of paint best way to use the stuff in the can is to put it in very hot water I just tried to do my good and it took 3 cans and I could still see my original paint just a little heads up
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I actually got to car parts done in this stuff in person, and I'm fairly impressed. I don't know how much was used to cover or what methods were used, but it does look better than I would initially anticipate. No desire to do my entire car, but it seems like a good way to do things like color change wheels and hoods and mirrors.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

Yea don't get me wrong it looked good but some how little hairs kept getting on my hood I wanted to see what it looked like but if I were to do the whole car I would buy there pro car kit and then rent a paint booth so I could have a good environment or just go to a local place that can do it there I just don't like it when people paint all the trim the same color I would want to keep the stuff that is meant to be black to stay black
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

I have dipped 2 sets of wheels and some interior pieces of my Leggy. I was questioning how well it would hold up to the abuse my winter wheels face, but after this winter I am AMAZED at this stuffs staying power. My car sees plenty of sideways driving through snow/slush and they haven't started to peel at all.

I originally went with plasti-dip because I wasn't sure if I'd like orange wheels or not, but I ended up loving them! I bought a full gallon of black to spray my snowmobile now too.

Image[/URL]
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

I'm dipping my entire car soon so I shall keep everyone updated. Luckily my car is already black so trim and stuff wont be too bad with making it all the same black again
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Watch the dipyourcar videos on youtube. They've got a ton of them that will help you to do it properly with the best results. They sell a much better nozzle than the one that comes on the can. Seems pretty crucial to get their nozzle if you want a good end product. It allows much more product flow and a much wider more consistent spray pattern cutting down on time and giving a more even coat and less coats necessary to cover an area. Also, as was already mentioned earlier, you'll want to warm the can in some warm water for a minute or two to get a nice mist and avoid sputtering. I think for a professional result you should get their spraygun or buy the stuff in gallons and use a paint gun and compressor. You get what you pay for and it really starts to add up if you want the best plastidip job possible, almost better off with a real paint job unless you're set on the matte look.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

James614 wrote:Not sure how I feel about this. How durable is plasti-dip in the long-term? Will it separate at the edges and allow moisture in, promoting rust? How's the fade resistance? Does dirt get embedded into the coating like it does on tools and become impossible to clean over time?
It is not meant to be permanent, I believe one or two years is what plastidip says about it. The appeal is that you can peel it all off and it doesn't damage the paint underneath. A lot of people also use it to winterize their wheels or bumpers or whatever, then just peel it off in the summer.

My only experience is that I painted the black trim over the windows on one side of my car, been about two years and hasn't started peeling or anything, except the spot where I scratched off a bit just to see if it does come off cleanly, it does.

Once I get the bodywork sorted out I'll probably do my M3 until I have the money for a real paint job.