BCS took a crap, looking for a good control solenoid, sugges

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

xise
Third Gear

BCS took a crap, looking for a good control solenoid, sugges

Post by xise »

So I am getting boost spikes up to 15 psi and it really does not seem to be a good thing having excessive boost in the intake. It whistles like a reed whistle and the way it spikes does nothing for performance...so I need to either get a new BCS from subaru or get a MBC or EBCS....I would like to get an electronic one but will the wrx ones fit, they are 3 port and have a similar looking plug.

I just don't want to buy something and have it not work. Ideally I would like to be able to switch between a few presets for different driving modes, like wastegate pressure for MPG purposes and full boost (15+ PSi)

I just got the last parts I needed for my TMIC so I figured I might as well do the BCS that failed too.

I REALLY want to use the grimmspeed EBCS but I don't want to spend $150 for it to not work, and MBC just lacks the on the fly adjustment I want. I know the hallman unit is a good choice but are there any other good ones?
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: BCS took a crap, looking for a good control solenoid, su

Post by James614 »

The new style BCS or EBCS won't work. Your best bet is an MBC. To get on the fly boost changes your best bet is a spendy electronic boost controller, but you'd get far better results from not planting your foot as hard than having a lower boost pressure.

I'd strongly recommend just going with an MBC.

EDIT: Have you verified your spiking issues are due to a faulty BCS and not something else like a vacuum leak somewhere?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I too doubt the spiking is related to your bcs. Get a hallman mbc or if you want to spend $250-$300 get a nice electronic boost controller. The wrx bcs will not work and none of the grimmspeed products will either. Its mbc or electronic boost controller. $50 or $300. No wiring or wiring. You must decide. What is your boost set at? Just stock settings? Get the mbc and see if it still happens and go from there.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
turboboxer92
First Gear

Post by turboboxer92 »

im having the same exact issue i get massive boost for no reason i hardly press the pedal and it hits fuel cut
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Turboboxer, is this verified through a guage or are you assuming over boost because you're hitting fuel cut constantly? Because your issue sounds to me like a vacuum line disconnected from your MAP sensor, which will cause fuel cut to effectively drop to 0 psi.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
turboboxer92
First Gear

Post by turboboxer92 »

no guage or anything i have a complete stock setup so far thats the thing i cant verify with numbers but its just it spools un controllably like the wastegate isnt closing when the turbo spools so its just dumping the extra pressure out???/
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The waste gate being stuck closed could be the culprit if it is in fact boost uncontrollably. I would check the vacuum line going to the waste gate, as well as make sure you can open and close it by hand. If it was stuck open you'd be getting almost no boost. I don't THINK the BCS would cause that.

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

The BCS controls exactly that dude, it looks for a target pressure (7Psi) and then it applies vacuum to the diaphragm to the wastegate which opens the flapper letting any pressure past 7psi flow into the exhaust. If that solenoid takes a crap it never tells the wastegate to open and you get max pressure possible, it WILL go over 20psi very quickly from barely touching the accel pedal.

I finally grabbed a bcs that will work fine, I can adjust it from inside the cabin and it also has a ton of other features, like a built in turbo timer and a lo/hi setting. Also has a setting that can trigger intercooler spray nozzles at certain boost settings or at whatever you set the peak boost to...pretty cool if you ask me.
no name ebay brand but it looks good, the solenoid looks like the one on the cobb ECBS and the controller is simple enough so I doubt it will fail...ill let you know how it works.
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

Wait, the grimmspeed shit doesn't work?
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
dillonr92
First Gear

Post by dillonr92 »

So i have 02 wrx stock bcs i cant put that in my ej22t and it work?. If it will is it an upgrade at all???
92 SS winestone red. td04 - FMIC. RWD 5 spd swap/LSD.dead...
94 LEGACY GT RAISED ROOF WAGON, fozzy lift hydro clutch/91SS 5speed/VLSD..#5.NEW FuLL DRiFT SLuT 93SS winestone,RS 5speed RWD. Welded rear, td04, fmic, 17x9 +20
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No it won't work.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
dillonr92
First Gear

Post by dillonr92 »

Dam
92 SS winestone red. td04 - FMIC. RWD 5 spd swap/LSD.dead...
94 LEGACY GT RAISED ROOF WAGON, fozzy lift hydro clutch/91SS 5speed/VLSD..#5.NEW FuLL DRiFT SLuT 93SS winestone,RS 5speed RWD. Welded rear, td04, fmic, 17x9 +20