Dankberries 1993 Impreza ej23t/25d build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

dankberries
Second Gear

Dankberries 1993 Impreza ej23t/25d build

Post by dankberries »

I would like to start this by expressing my love for Subaru's. Its been a long time passion, hobby, and career. As a kid, before I ever had a drivers licence, I dreamed of owning an impreza, this was before usdm wrx/sti's where around. I had my bedroom walls flooded with pictures of Colin McRae in his 555 impreza rally car. I knew someday I would own an impreza .

About 5 years ago that dream finally came true. I picked up a 1993 Impreza L sedan 200,000miles, automatic, bone stock, with a decently clean/straight body. Car ran like a champ with its 1.8L, it was the best $800 I ever spent.
At the time I needed the impreza to be a reliable DD while I was finishing up my 240sx build.

2 years down the road and it was time to get the impreza built up. Initially I wanted to do a usdm Sti swap but after much debate and research I deemed the ej22t to be the easiest, cheapest, and in my opinion, the most reliable engine of choice.

This would be my first experience in swapping a turbo engine in a N/A Subaru. I was fairly uneducated in the matter so this was a giant learning experience.
I picked up an ej22t from a local who proclaimed to have done the swap before, he basically told me it was "plug and play". He said "no wiring needed". I would love to punch that guy in throat if I ever saw him again.

I spent TONS and TONS of time on the internet doing research and downloading F.S.M's into my brain. I literally would have nightmares about wires, and at times I wouldn't sleep at all for fear of forgetting some important bit of information. Overwhelming to say the least.

The very dirty 1991(oil cooler equipped) ej22t I picked up:

My roommate at the time had an ej22t we had taken apart, to our surprise we found that an oil squirter had come out and destroyed the insides of the engine. I did some research and had found several people reporting of this problem.
So, I had no choice but to pull the pistons and first, make sure all the squirters are their, and second, lock-tite those lil bastards! To my luck I had all four of them in tact.

And after lots of elbow grease a toothbrush and a tooth pick, its looking like an engine again:

Going in:

Now for the not so fun stuff, mind you I did this ALL by my lonesome, no help from anybody, didn't know anybody experienced, and it all happened through a cell phone(laptop was broken), I literally did all this by viewing F.S.M's on my phone and following diagrams on a tiny ass screen, such a pain!:
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 0b549f.mp4

When it came to the wiring, I ended up doing it several ways after getting discouraged by partial failure from the first time.
At first I didn't have a turbo legacy harness, so my plan was to use all of the impreza harness(body, chassis, engine), and add wires for boost related sensors. Essentially I did this almost right except that I had not added sheilding to my new wires, I flipped my coolant and oil light senor wires going to the cluster(green/white & white/green, easy mistake), I didn't hook up the wastegate solenoid, and I didn't know about the legacy adding a diode to bump up voltage for the ignition Switch/self shut off control to turn on/off. When I first started it and went for a drive my coolant light would instantly max out and oil light gradually light up as the car would warm(lol), because the wastegate solenoid wasn't hooked up the car would not go above 4k or 5k, and because I didn't have the diode to bump up voltage I had to wire the ecu power to a switch to turn it on. I also hated that the engine plugs ended up coming out right by the turbo rather than by the battery. Un-shielded wires would have been a problem as well.
All these problem had me over exaggerate my thinking, and I made the choice to take all the wiring out and start over. In my second faze of wiring I decided I needed to find a turbo legacy harness(chassis, body, engine) and incorporate it into the impreza.
I ended up scoring at my local junkyard and picked up an entire ej22t setup(engine,cross member, every single sensor, all wiring, turbo, ex.) For $250!
I managed to use the entire 22t wiring in the impreza, but the routing of things wasn't easy and it wasn't the best it could be, however I made it work for about a year. After that time, I started thinking about redoing the wiring for the third time. The legacy harness came from an automatic car and has lots off extra wires that end up taping into almost every bit off the hole harness. I wanted it to be just what I need, clean, and without all the extra BS.
In the third faze of wiring I opted to go back to impreza wiring but I would make the engine plugs located at the battery and add 22t boost sensor wires w/shields now that I had a donar harness. This required completely dissecting the harness and rebuilding its routing and with custom lengths where needed. This ended up coming out great and super clean.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=359247307434679

Some in between upgrades:
03 wrx top mount w/ HKS bov, td04, mishimoto radiator w/ dual slim 1550cfm fans, custom CAI, hallman MBC, 3in. Catless TBE
Painted LGT snowflakes
Updated lights, bumper, and hood
I love a dirty car with clean wheels :-)

It wasn't long before I wanted more power. After reading through several write-up's on dohc swapping , I decided to take this route. I pretty much wanted this to be a fully built engine that would be reliable bu also powerful.
I had picked up 96' ej25d heads(shim under bucket nonadjustable) and sent them to a local machine shop for some clean up.
I did some research to find if anybody made after market performance parts and found that a very credible company Ferrea advertised performance valves/springs/retainers/guides/locks/shims.
I had chosen to make the purchase of +1mm over sized dish high performance valves, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, locks, guides, and shims.
When the parts came in I took them to my machine shop. The next day I got a call back from the shop, they said that none of the parts would work with the heads, all the fitments/sizing were wrong.
Boggled I thought maybe the parts they sent were actually for 97+ ej25d heads(shim over bucket adjustable) so I went out and picked up a set of 97 ej25d heads and brought them to the machine shop. After a few measurements we could see that the Ferrea parts would not work with the 97 heads either.
I called up Ferrea and was able to get ahold of their main engineer's and explain the situation. These were some really awesome people to talk too , they were very nice and helpful. Basically they were dumb struck and never heard of this problem, they asked if I would ship my heads (both 96' & 97')off to their facilities (free of any charges) for R&D, and to ultimately find out if they can devlope something to work for me, and it would all be done free of charge.
I sent out the heads and waited about a month before I got a call from DJ at Ferrea, he explained that they had done their research and concluded that they could manufacture the parts.
Another month went by and I got a call from Steve at Ferrea, he said the heads and parts were being overnighted and should be expected. He also went on to apologize about the mishap, he explained it was likely they would discontinue to make any more ej25d components and that they would be removed from the catalog.
This would be one of a kind for sure. No body else has 97' ej25d Ferrea heads.
Best box to get in the mail ever!

And while I was waiting for the heads, I had some bottom end work done:
I wanted to go with Clevite bearings but I wasn't getting good clearances and tried switching to ACL bearings and ended up with better clearance.

With all the down time of waiting, i stayed busy doing some exterior work:
Test piece
Finished bracket looks like this
I found this picture of my first measurements and design
For those of you reading through, if you have never seen this brake conversion here is a good picture for reference:
The rear calipers will also need adapter brackets, I used these KartBoy adapters for the Subaru 2pot conversion (Nissan and Subaru rear calipers mount very similar)
The biggest reason for doing Nissan brakes - $200 for all four(4potFront/2potRear) in remanufactured condition.

I managed to get some body work done as well during the down time, my Impreza's original color is a blue green metallic #304, the plan was to paint the hole car forest green but the stock color really had grown on me over the years and I have never seen a 2.5rs in this color so it would be trully unique:

Then I became addicted to painting..so I kept going!
I even took apart my old and weathered looking throttle body and painted all of it.

Engine going back together:

A fresh looking car:

Some supporting mods:
I chose to use a RobTune ECU for engine management
Td05 turbo
USDM Sti yellow sidefeed injectors(sent to Witch Hunters for refurbishing)

Things to take note on:
If your trying to do a ej25d swap and plan to use your 4bolt coil pack wasted spark, try to pick up a 25d intake manifold with 4bolt holes for the the coil pack. Most only have three. I found out the hard way after I already cleaned and painted one, then realized I should use the other one.
You should use ej25d plug wires as the ej22t plug wires are to short for comfort.
Their is a fitment difference in the 96' ej25d valve covers from the 97'-98' valve covers. I wanted to use the 96' valvle covers (the cool ones that say 4cam16valve) I painted, but when I went to put them on the 97' heads I could see that area around the spark plug holes are different. One is more round and the other more square. This sucks because as far as I can tell only 96' covers came with lettering on them.
Another problem I ran into , when switching to a ej25d manifold you only have one vacume port, in which case you can run everything off one port or drill/tap another hose barb in the manifold.

Current mods list:

--Engine

1991 Legacy turbo short block over bored to 98mm
Wiseco 98mm pistons
Eagle Rods
1997 Legacy 2.5L dohc heads
Ferrea Racing +1mm oversized valves (ex & in)
Ferrea Racing dual valve springs
Ferrea Racing titanium retainers
Ferrea Racing valvle locks/guides/shims
Mirror finish decking of the heads and block
Completely blue printed
Multi angle valve job
Ported and Polished
12mm oil pump
ACL coated race bearings (rods & crank)
Wiseco .051 MLS head gaskets
Gates racing timing belt
Treated, polished, balanced crank
ARP case bolts
ARP head studs

--Gearing

4.11 final drive tranny w/ LSD diff
ACT 10lbs flywheel
ACT 6puck sprung clutch
4 new axels (snapped 3 since engine conversion)

--Exterior
2001 2.5rs front bumper
2001 2.5rs hood
2001 2.5rs coupe spoiler
2001 2.5rs glass head lights, fog lights, clear corners and blinkers

--Interior

2002 USDM wrx seats (front & back)
AEM lambada A/F gauge
Harbor freight boost gauge
STACK oil pressure gauge
Sunco oil temp, water temp, voltage guages

--Brakes/Wheels

Nissan r32Skyline/s15Silvia/z32 300zx twin turbo Aluminum 30mm Front calipers
Nissan r32Skyline/s15Silvia/z32 300zx twin turbo Aluminum 2*mm Rear calipers
Slotted Only DBA T2 Front rotors 316x30mm to clear 16in. Rims
Power slot 06 wrx rear rotors 290x18mm
Custom brake brackets
16' LGT snowflake rims painted white
1in. Wheel spacers all four
Goodridge SS lines

--Supporting modifications

Custom cold air intake
03' usdm wrx top mount intercooler
Silicone OBX intercooler Y piping cut and custom fit
tight ass 90° silicone turbo intake pipe
3in. Catless TBE
HKS series 3 BOV
Hallman manual boost controller
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
TD05 turbski
06' usdm Sti yellow side feed injectors
RobTune engine management

In the future mods:

Gravel rated fully adjustable suspension
Approved roll cage
Widebody/fender flares
Wider rims
Standalone Ecu
Fuel cell

More pictures:

Yes ej22t does fit in the back off Nissan 240sx
Last edited by dankberries on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:53 am, edited 13 times in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
mike-tracy

Re: Dankberries 1993 Impreza ej23t/25d build

Post by mike-tracy »

This is very impressive work. How does she run now that the timing is locked in?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

nice. love the colors.
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

mike-tracy wrote:This is very impressive work. How does she run now that the timing is locked in?
Feels great with the timing locked in :-D 2000miles and no timing or ignition problems.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Sooo glad u put this up, its one of the nicest swaps I've seen!!
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Pretty good stuff!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, very impressive build!!! Excellent work!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Nice car man, its motivation for me. I'm in the middle of a similar swap. EJ22t into my 95 Impreza. Mine started as OBD 2, EJ22, auto.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

BoostedSubie wrote:Nice car man, its motivation for me. I'm in the middle of a similar swap. EJ22t into my 95 Impreza. Mine started as OBD 2, EJ22, auto.
Don't be too scared, its really not bad converting obd2 to obd1. Ive done it before now and its a lot less intimidating as originally thought. Through perseverance you will find a way no matter what!

Shit you should see the H6 swap I'm working on... Now that's a head ache!
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I'm actually done with the wiring besides the self shutoff control fix. I made my own jumper harness that has the obd 2 female 1 plug from an ecu with the obd 1 4 plug Legacy ecu. This way made the most sense to me, use the harness that is already there, just rearrange the pins. I used the obd 2 engine harness as it has all the necessary plugs already there, just had to change the TPS plug from the 3 wire to the older 4 wire and run the idle switch wire back to the ecu. Also since it is obd 2, it already had the wiring for the MAP and pressure exchange solenoid. I did however have to extend parts of the engine harness since it normally comes out right where the turbo sits, so I moved it to the other side of the throttle body. Right now, I just need to finish my fuel setup and intercooler piping. Just wish I had the money to build the stroker setup like yours. Looks like you have some other fun toys as well. Any pics of those?
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

dankberries wrote: About 5 years ago that dream finally came true. I picked up a 1993 Impreza L sedan 200,000miles, automatic, bone stock, with a decently clean/straight body. Car ran like a champ with its 1.8L, it was the best $800 I ever spent.
I Love that enthusiasm for a Bone Stock Automatic :!: I was Stoked finding a beat ass 5MT after missing up on a Mint stock 4EAT, really kicking myself now. Had to admit to my wife that She Was Right :smt011

Amazing Transformation :smt023
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

BoostedSubie wrote:Looks like you have some other fun toys as well. Any pics of those?
Rps sr20 - CP pistons, eagle rods, clevite bearings, cosworth HG, HKS 264 ex./in. Cams, Greddy Intake plenum, Top feed fuel rail conversion, Sard High flow FPR, rc750cc injectors, e-85 ethanol conversion, Greddy rocker arm stoppers. Tein 32way super drift coilovers, 300zx brakes all around, hydraulic ebrake, custom tranny gears, kaaz LSD diff, exedy hyper single clutch, custom rear subframe, all arms, bars , and bushing aftermarket, aeromotive 340lph pump,solid aluminum mounts,Tial 38mm EWG, garret gt2871turbo .AEM standalone. 400hp at 20psi. 11.3 at 128mph.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Thats a Top Notch Line Up right there :!:

I can't wait to actually enjoy my toys when there finished :roll:
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

This is sweet, what's up with the 95 impreza and swaps? I'm in the middle of piecing mine together an it's just about exactly what you have going on though mine is a 5 speed 2 door. Where in colorado are you?
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Sorry, and hopefully you understand me on this, but I will not share my exact locations, I have a hard time sleeping at night with multiple race cars in fear of theft. Colorado has a serious subie theft problem.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Very nice, my buddy has an 89 240 that is extremely built and stupid fast. Probably the fastest car I've ever riden in and also the scariest as it is stripped of all interior so you can hear every little pebble hitting the floor pan, and the thing is rarely going straight. His turbo and manifold alone cost more than my whole build, lol. Its a Comp CT3-6262 triple ceramic ball bearing oiless twin scroll. Wish I had the money for those kinds of parts. Spokane has similar Subaru theft issues. The Impreza I bought was a stolen recovery that I got from my work (auto salvage yard) for 800 bucks. It ran fine (not that I cared as I knew I was swapping it right away) and is straight, I couldn't pass it up.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

dankberries wrote:Sorry, and hopefully you understand me on this, but I will not share my exact locations, I have a hard time sleeping at night with multiple race cars in fear of theft. Colorado has a serious subie theft problem.

Hey no problem very understandable, have the same feeling on that.
How do you like the 25d heads, besides the valves and lifters. What I mean does it seem like I has enough power or does it drop in performance?
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

91legacyawdturbo wrote:
dankberries wrote: How do you like the 25d heads, besides the valves and lifters. What I mean does it seem like I has enough power or does it drop in performance?
Its hard to say . I've gained performance from multiple modifications, I can't exactly pin point how much I'm feeling from what. This would be easier to answer if I had gone from a stock ej22t to a stock ej22t/25D.

All around it feels bad ass. Lots of low end power and torque and a pretty awesome pull to red line. I have noticed a slight drop off between 7000 and 8000rpm but otherwise good.
I think I'm getting better gas mileage too , highway cruising feels like the engine breaths allot better than single cam.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

So I had been avoiding fixing my lower radiator support, it had been damaged from the previous owner of the car. The damage would not allow me to have a properly mounted radiator. Yesterday I got ambitious and decided to do something about it.
Actually was worse damage then I thought , so I took all the metal out all the way to frame rail
Much better :-) and stronger!
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

One comment - I have a subaru where like yours the hood latch beam wasn't connected to the lower support. While driving down the freeway on a windy day, a passing semi's gust caused the upper support to twist and snap, and faster than you could react the hood flipped up and hit the windshield. All while my ex was driving...
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Hood pins and complete removal of the upper support is underway. Currently I have some bailing wire holding it from bending up any.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You're good then.
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

I was doing 75mph in my Nissan one day when I had the hood come up. Destroyed my windshield and made me poop my pants. Never again.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

dankberries wrote:I was doing 75mph in my Nissan one day when I had the hood come up. Destroyed my windshield and made me poop my pants. Never again.
That sucks!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Well ...with tears in my eyes , I'm very sad to report I started having some internal engine failure of some kind . I made it about a mile from home this morning when a knocking noise started coming on strong, I pulled over right away, soon as I came to a stop the car died and doesn't start.
Last edited by dankberries on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz