EJ22T swap into 93 Legacy sedan

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vtsportscar
In Neutral

EJ22T swap into 93 Legacy sedan

Post by vtsportscar »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here and I'm excited to be a new member. I work for Vermont Sportscar as the Composite Fabricator for Subrau Rally Team USA and live and breathe Subaru Motorsports.

My latest project is my 93 legacy sedan non turbo I recently purchased from a Florida couple who just moved up here 2 months ago with the car. NO RUST whatsoever which is extremely rare here in Vermont. I have my EJ22T that I've built and plan to install it as soon as possible. But I need some help and guidance from you Legacy Veterans on a few things. The SEARCH button seems to not give me ANY results everytime I search, so I'll ask my questions here instead:

1- I'm using the non turbo harness and a 93 turbo 5speed ecu, can I have exact guidance on how to wire up the turbo sensors correctly and run them back to the ecu? Will I be able to use the entire NA harness if I just add the bcs and pressure exchange solenoid to it?

2- I assume this setup will have 1 o2 sensor, will I need a turbo sensor or will the NA one work properly?

3- I'm buying a brand new non turbo radiator and understand there are some mods to the hosing that need to be made to have it work with the turbo setup, can someone elaborate please? Also will I need a turbo coolant temp sensor or will my NA one work?

4- I'm converting the fwd auto tranny to a fwd manual tranny, what wiring modifications need to be made to do this correctly?

5- Will my automatic tranny gauge cluster work properly with the manual transmission? I don't mind looking at the PRND321 in the cluster as long as it works correctly.

I have tried searching all of these questions and have come back with little or only partial success. I'm hoping this community will help steer me in the right direction because I have all parts and pieces necessary for this swap. Thank you very much an check out our website!

VTcar.com

Thanks!
Jeremy
Vehicles:
White 1993 Subaru Legacy L Sedan w/ EJ22T/6spd/R180/Td04/AWIC & much more - Autox & ice racer
Black 2005 Forester XT Premium 5spd - fiancé’s daily
Pear White 2001 Infiniti G20T 5spd - daily driver
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EJ22T swap into 93 Legacy sedan

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS Jeremy!

Regarding the search, are you using the google search or the board's search engine? The board's built in search works quite well, http://bbs.legacycentral.org/search.php Are you using this or the Google one?

Regarding your questions, besides searching I also suggest checking out the sticky compilation threads.

Check out this thread on the ej22t swap
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45769

You can use the non-turbo wiring harness and just add the three turbo specific sensors (MAP, pressure exchange, & wastegate). You'll also need to relocate the wiring for the coolant temp sensor to the driver's side of the block. it's easy to do.

Here is a thread I made a while back regarding some of the electrical questions
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23168

Yes, there will only be one O2 sensor. You can use the non-turbo sensor, it will just have a longer pig tail you'll need to stow out of the way

To use the non-turbo radiator you just pull the lower rubber gasket off the radiator cap on the radiator and then hook up the line that would connect to the passenger side of the turbo radiator to the overflow line on the non-turbo radiator.

Yes you can use the non-turbo coolant temp sensor, they are the same.

Regarding the conversion from auto to manual, check out my AWD & 5spd conversion page. Just ignore the AWD conversion part. www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap

Yes the automatic gauge cluster will work fine.

Here are some pictures from my ej22t swap. They may be helpful for you as you go through your project

www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/ej22t
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vtsportscar
In Neutral

Post by vtsportscar »

^^^ Thank you Josh! I've been trying to use the forum's search tool but everytime I type something in, whether it's simple terms or more elaborate questions, it just says no results found.. I've had more success just using google and following links to the forum where it was applicable, but it's been difficult to find all the answers or complete answers. The first link you posted about the ej22t swap is the only one I've found previously. You have just helped with every question I had and very much appriciate it! Thanks again!

Jeremy
Vehicles:
White 1993 Subaru Legacy L Sedan w/ EJ22T/6spd/R180/Td04/AWIC & much more - Autox & ice racer
Black 2005 Forester XT Premium 5spd - fiancé’s daily
Pear White 2001 Infiniti G20T 5spd - daily driver
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome.

What are you typing in the search engine? It works best to just put one or two search terms in the search engine. Have it search all open forums. I also like sorting by topic, not posts.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm