Rear Wheel Drive with a 4EAT works!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kookookachew
First Gear

Rear Wheel Drive with a 4EAT works!

Post by kookookachew »

Hey guys, so I searched for rear wheel drive and found a few topics from '04 and older that discussed rwd and how one mught do it, and who had friends that ahd done it, etc etc. But no-one had really done it themselves, especially with a 4EAT.

I'm currently working on my '93 L sedan that I got for free after it had sat for a couple of years, and had a pretty terrible previous owner (Walmart chrome pieces everywhere, wiring messes, purple tint, flat black rattle-can over nice dark metallic grey paint etc etc)

And I'm about 3/4 or so through collecting parts to turbo and manual swap it, while I've been sanding, smoothing, and swapping out body panels to get it ready for a real paint job.

So, in the mean time, I thought I'd try RWD since I'll be tearing the auto out anyway. I had previously wired up the Duty C mod so that it runs to a resistor pack and locks up the center diff.

So, heres the 5 step process:

1. Perform Duty C mod, great write up on 25rs.com?

2. Pick up used CV shafts or use your own

3. Remove CV shafts and unclip outer boots and knock off end with a hammer or solid object (They just pop off)

4. Bolt in outer CV shaft end into wheel hub to keep wheel bearings in place.

5. Go have fun!
'99 Outback Rio Red 5-speed (sold)
'06 Legacy GT GRP 5-speed (stock) My road-warrior ~1K miles a week! (sold)
'93 Legacy L Sedan (Project car) RWD, turbo-swapped, manual-swapped (sold)

'12 Golf TDI 4-door 6MT (Subaruless)
kookookachew
First Gear

Re: Rear Wheel Drive with a 4EAT works!

Post by kookookachew »

As another addition, my 4EAT was working fine before the install, and is still working fine after some abuse.

The center clutch pack, despite what some people think, is strong enough to transfer all of the torque necessary to drift, do "line-lock" burnouts etc. Haven't felt it slip once. Even managed to get both rear tires turning on one of the burnouts I did, so it wasn't that one of the 14s just wasnt grippy enough. Rear diff, brackets and CV shafts seem to be fine so far running 2.2 N/A power, and for those who have heard about rear diffs exploding on RWD conversions, its all about how you drive it...

Look up driftunion if you dont believe me, one of the guys there runs a '93 Legacy converted to RWD and hes been drifting on his stock welded diff for years, however he does go through CV shafts, but ehh, just pick up some ones from the auto-parts place with lifetime warranties and keep the receipt!

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Awesome! Not that I intend to try this out (or do I?), but I've just bookmarked this thread in case I want to play with my 4EAT some more :)

Thanks for the info!!
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That is good to know. I've performed the Duty C (toggle switch) 'mod' and have wondered about the durability of the transfer gears.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

this is the proper way to go rwd with the 4eat

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... ool-44734/

some on the this board did this, i mentioned he would need to machine down the weld for it to fit so it not looks like this

and it works for him
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I've wondered how RWD would work through the transfer clutch without any welding. Also, I've wondered how the heck you get the front axles apart.

Right before I do my 5MT swap, I will be doing this just to dick around :)
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You'll eventually wear out the clutch packs on the center diff. Welding it is the way to go.

You may want to also put the inner section of the CV joint on the trans since it acts as a dust cap so to speak to keep grime and stuff away from the oil seal.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Welding would be a long term solution, but this is just for maybe a couple of weeks until I actually physically start my manual swap. All of the parts are here, just need to get started.... As for the stability of the center clutch pack, there hasn't been any slipping whatsoever. And that's with messing around, full throttle and brakes and getting both rear tires spinning on pavement as well as many full-throttle starts etc. So it wearing down should take a while since its not actually slipping. The CV shaft was a piece of cake considering all you do is knock the end off with a hammer. I probably will throw on the inside ends such for the sake of doing so.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, if it's just a temporary job until you do your manual swap, then have at it. :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Oh, I plan on it ;) I'll admit, when I first put it into gear I was half-expecting it to not work at-all, but its been alot of fun, the 4EAT and 2.2 N/A seem ALOT less doggy, and much more sporty when they only have to turn 2 wheels. I mean, its not actually any faster, but certainly feels much more powerful and sporty when you step on it and the rear tires break loose and you are rewarded with a happy tail, tire smoke etc instead of the car just slowly hunkering down and rolling away

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Vids or it didn't happen.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Lol, dont worry, I'll grab some vids at some point, hopefully over this weekend. Haha most of my friends actually want to ride in it instead of just watch it do fun stuff :P

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

beatersubi wrote:Vids or it didn't happen.
Well, as I promised... Took a quick video as I finally hit the cords on the rear tires, they were already severely worn when I went RWD so it was only a matter of time... Already have another set ready to go on for $40 :-D

BTW: I let it shift into 2nd in this vid and as you can see, that little 2.2L wasnt short on power, and this is also with the stock 3.9 open diff...

Also, dont mind the hideous paint and mis-match panels. Slowly working on fixing all of the dents/areas of body damage and then when the paint supplies come in the whole car is getting stripped and painted a dark blue similar to Matt Smith's Tardis in Dr. Who, which is actually a Subaru color :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6zvuin3FU

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

< approves of this. :smt023
Open diff, you say? Looked like a solid number 11 to me.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Yes sir, its the factory open diff that came on it in '93 It stays open when I just stab the gas, or take low speed sharp corners and get on it, but for some odd reason that I'm totally ok with, when you perform a "brake-stand" it locks up and spins both tires, has since day one with this car. Unless the previous owner dumped a weak VLSD into the stock housing under the stock cover, but I highly doubt that after seeing what this car has been through/what has been done to it.

Anyway, it makes it seem much more awesome until I'm able to add a real LSD (Hunting for a clutch-pack in the boneyards of NYS) or maybe weld up a summer diff for additional shenanigans.

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Laying on the brakes will force both wheels to always have some torque. If you were to do something like line locks to cut off the rear brakes, you'd probably do a 1 wheel peel.

None the less, totally sweet :)
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

I knew it had something to do with the braking force helping to transfer torque, however in my past I come from American cars and trucks, usually V8 powered and terrible on gas... But nonetheless in those vehicles, the ones that I owned, and in any that I've seen ever attempt a "brake-stand" "line-lock" etc. With the brakes and throttle applied to initiate a stationary burnout, only 1 wheel ever spun. Pretty much every time, unless of course the vehicles was equipped with a limited slip.

That was why I thought it was especially neat that on my little Subaru it will pull of those "manly" burnouts leaving two solid black lines every single time I attempt it.

But anyway, thanks for the compliment! This is definitely a fun car even in stock beat-up form so I can't imagine how fun it will be once it has some decent power, a proper gear-box and a proper paint job :)