uhg, i need help again..

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

uhg, i need help again..

Post by 92ColoradoTurbo »

So I just got my new engine in and it was running fine except for the crappy idling. It would idle from between 2.5k and under 500 rpms. It had no relavence to car temperature and it was completely random. So I figured it would he the iac, so I swapped it out with the one from my previous engine since it was good. Turned the car on and taadaa, it was idling right on top of the 750rpm mark. Burped the coolant lines. Then drove around the block and got into boost a couple times and everything checked out aye-ok.

Took it out on the road and pushed it a bit and after awhile, it started feeling like it was loosing power... I checked my boost gauge while I floored it and it was boosting to 15psi (I had it set at 12psi) but it wasn't pulling at all! It was fuel cutting and I was just flooring it from 3k and it would fuel cut before I got to 4.5k rpms...

My CEL also came on and it was turning on and off while all this was happening. I'm gunna pull the codes tomorrow and see what shows up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
alexandermf
Third Gear

Re: uhg, i need help again..

Post by alexandermf »

No sense in shooting in the dark..

Pull codes first then we go from there
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Pulled codes and I got one... Code 22 - knock sensor.
Replaced it with a known working knock sensor from another running ej22t engine and it still had the same issues with it boosting but not pulling. Got the code again too. The wires for the knock sensor are all fine as well
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Did you clear the code?

And I'd recommend testing the KS wiring from the connector to the ECU. I've seen a few that were cracked @ the connector and needed replaced. Esp. since you were in that area when you replaced the engine. Use microphone wiring to fix...look it up on here.

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

okay.... so we actually replaced the coolant temperature sensor hehe yep..

But then we found out what the knock sensor actually looked like!! And we swapped that out real quick and taadaa! it is idling correctly, cleared the cel's and now it shows none, and it can pull to 12psi!!

So it works great but the wires look a little shady for longevity so I think I'll redo that soon.

And now my turbo is dying I believe cause it was first whining like a cross between a crying kitten and a old fashion cartoon character screaming its head off. Now its boosting to 12psi but will go down to about 8-9psi between 3k to 4.5k rpms at WOT
Chris
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

I have a couple of VF11s for sale. PM for details.
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

I'm actually looking for another td04 cause it's what i have on my current setup! Thanks though
Chris
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If the wiring on the knock sensor wire is working, I'd probably suggest not messing with it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm