EBC install w/Supra pressure sensor - custom connector

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

EBC install w/Supra pressure sensor - custom connector

Post by free5ty1e »

EDIT: updated title for accuracy
EDIT2 7/14/2013: Added photos of EBC control box and solenoid, replaced all direct image URLs with thumbnail URLs for easier post reading
EDIT3 7/16/2013: Added photos of completed electrical portion install and IC piping kink ghetto-fix
EDIT4 7/23/2013: Finally got around to plumbing it in and testing it - and it doesn't work :/

So, because it took a bit of hunting to find this information, I thought I'd pass it along - and show how I made my own ghetto-fabulous pigtail and connector for a Toyota Supra pressure sensor that I needed to wire in to my Subaru in order to support my EBC install.

I bought an EBC from someone I think on this board a while back, it came with this Supra pressure sensor and no pigtail - just 3 unknown pins in a connector I didn't have. Recently, on my trip to the junkyard, I pulled some Subaru Legacy airflow sensor connectors with pigtails for general purpose use (they were available and cheap).

Today, attempting to wire up this EBC, I get to the point where I have figured out the wiring (see below) and have tested with test leads and am ready to wire up the Supra pressure sensor. I go and try to solder directly to the pins and oh man, I didn't have enough expletives to get that one completed. I get an idea and go grab one of those pigtails and check out the spacing and pin slots. It looks to be close enough, and the connector's key / bumps on one side seem to kinda fit under the Subaru connector's casing. It was just too small; 3 pins vs 5 pins. I had to cut and break away the plastic casing around the Supra sensor's connector, leaving only a small section at the top to catch and hold, but after I plugged it together and tested -- it worked fine!

Some photos are below, followed by some of my research links for anyone else wanting to make use of this highly popular and available Supra pressure sensor for any of your projects and don't have a diagram, here ya go.

Below: My Toyota Supra pressure sensor with Subaru Legacy airflow sensor pigtail custom hack job result

Below: Here's what the airflow sensor pigtail looks like when extracting the 3 center wires -- the white is NEGATIVE, black is POSITIVE (yeah, I didn't plan that either), and the longer wire on the left outside the central insulator - black with red stripe - is the signal wire. I got about 1.8v at atmospheric pressure here in Oregon, and it raised when pressure was applied and lowered when vacuum was applied . Seemed to be functioning so I'm going ahead with it:

Below: Subaru Legacy airflow sensor connector female end:

Below: The Supra pressure sensor I busted up to fit in the above Subaru airflow connector female end's center

Below: Supra sensor for a lucky fella that also received a proper connector with pigtail. Note: Many Supra forum posts I've come across referencing wiring of this sensor seem to always reference the wire colors on the pigtail, so finding this photo was quite helpful in figuring out which pin did which, along with the scans from the manual with the battery-based testing procedure for the pressure sensor (below further)

Links I found relevant to this portion of the install:
Supra pressure sensor wiring
Supra manual scan - pressure sensor connector
Supra manual scan - pressure sensor test w/battery
(connector bumps/ label down 1,2,3)
Pin 1 is NEGATIVE
Pin 3 is Positive
Pin 2 is signal wire
Picture of it with a pigtail from here

More pics and info on the EBC install to come, I paired it with a new FCD wiring (I had a very beta FCD installed in my '94 for a long time, since removing it for my recent rewiring I've found the newer one I built and saved for this purpose), and I'm anxious to go test both out :)

Edit2:
Below: Pic of EBC control box

Below: EBC's wastegate control solenoid strapped on to my relocated cruise control vacuum assist mount

EDIT3:
Also, while I was in there, I noticed that my intercooler piping had developed a section of silicon tubing that was more or less kinked. In the photo below, I've circled the area where the silicon passes under my coffee cup resonator - this is where it is being kinked. I decided I could ghetto-rig that up better; so I grabbed a worm-gear hose clamp I had lying around, separated it, and added it to the kinked area of the tube to hold it open / round. After I tightened the clamp down a little, the hose reformed and lost the kink. Put it all back together and it's looking much better now. Easy HP increase = remove restrictions! :)

Photos of how the install ended up...

Below: Inside the cab (I'm aware my steering wheel isn't on straight --- details, details)

Below: Under the hood, full (one of my bearded dragons insisted on posing with the badging for this):

Below: Under the hood, by driver's side strut tower - in the original cruise control vacuum assist mounting place sits the Supra pressure sesnor, on the relocated cruise control vacuum assist mounting arm is the new EBC's boost control solenoid that I have yet to plumb in. This photo is after the electrical portion of the install (and the hose clamp kink fix):

EDIT4: Finally got around to plumbing in the EBC to test it out, and it just gives me wastegate boost. Haven't gotten it to actually control boost yet. I suspect this unit may be inoperative, but as I purchased it such a long time ago there's not much I can do about it. Lame. Gonna plan to get the car back into the garage and run through some troubleshooting steps, confirm wiring and see if any control signal is making it to the solenoid at all. Perhaps it's a dead solenoid, I suppose if I can't make it click on the bench I should look into a replacement. Hmm... wonder if the stock BCS would work with the EBC? Probably not worth the trouble....
Last edited by free5ty1e on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: EBC install w/Supra pressure sensor - custom connector

Post by cj91legss »

What is your purpose for using the Supra MAP?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

It came with the electronic boost controller I purchased secondhand. I may or may not end up using it in the final setup but for now im more or less experimenting with this ebc. I didnt want to wire in the stock map sensor as it wont even read high enough to allow me to regulate boost where I had it last (15psi).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The connector for the Supra MAP sensor looks a lot like the connector for the IAC valve.

Here are pics of the IAC
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_6524.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_6313.JPG

Not the best pic of the connector
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_5116.JPG
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Legacy777 wrote:The connector for the Supra MAP sensor looks a lot like the connector for the IAC valve.

Here are pics of the IAC
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_6524.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_6313.JPG

Not the best pic of the connector
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_5116.JPG
Ooh, yes it does! That is something I may find on a subsequent trip to a local junkyard - thanks once again Josh! Of course, since I already destroyed this one, not applicable to this particular install but that's good info. This EBC is the simpler kind, not calibrated to any particular sensor but instead ends up being quite versatile. Only apparent downside is the inability to set a target boost level in PSI, but with a boost gauge and twiddly knobs (lol) on the dash, who cares? I can use any pressure sensor I want.

Anyone know off-hand a good common 3+bar MAP sensor that one might find easily at a junkyard, what make/ model / years to look for?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

GM 3 bar map sensor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Is it something I can expect to find on pretty much any GM turbocharged vehicle at a junkyard, something that common? Is it one of those nice, clearly-labeled parts that says something clear, like "3-bar MAP sensor" right on the front?

I seem to remember you mentioning it in one of your build threads, I'll go back and read up once I've got this EBC tested and am satisfied the solenoid it came with will be sufficient for my purposes, or if it would only be good enough for grocery-getter.

Adding below to first post as well:
Below: Pic of EBC control box

Below: EBC's wastegate control solenoid strapped on to my relocated cruise control vacuum assist mount
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm not sure what exactly you'll find it on, but here's a brand new one on ebay with the pigtail. It lists the part # on there as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-3-BAR-MAP-SE ... 1403wt_722
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Nice, thanks! That sounds like the pressure sensor I'll end up using later with this setup.

I skipped yesterday and didn't get a chance to drive it around, but today I did. Drove it to work and all seems well; I left everything set up in the stock configuration, only now with an FCD wired in and the EBC electrically wired in but not controlling any boost yet. Stock boost control still happy and working fine, no CELs or other electrical strangeness. So next I will be plumbing in the EBC instead of the stock BCS to see how well this thing regulates and how happy I will be with the capability to adjust and switch between two boost levels from inside the cab :)

(adding below to first post):
Also, while I was in there, I noticed that my intercooler piping had developed a section of silicon tubing that was more or less kinked. In the photo below, I've circled the area where the silicon passes under my coffee cup resonator - this is where it is being kinked. I decided I could ghetto-rig that up better; so I grabbed a worm-gear hose clamp I had lying around, separated it, and added it to the kinked area of the tube to hold it open / round. After I tightened the clamp down a little, the hose reformed and lost the kink. Put it all back together and it's looking much better now. Easy HP increase = remove restrictions! :)

Photos of how the install ended up...

Below: Inside the cab (I'm aware my steering wheel isn't on straight --- details, details)

Below: Under the hood, full (one of my bearded dragons insisted on posing with the badging for this):

Below: Under the hood, by driver's side strut tower - in the original cruise control vacuum assist mounting place sits the Supra pressure sesnor, on the relocated cruise control vacuum assist mounting arm is the new EBC's boost control solenoid that I have yet to plumb in. This photo is after the electrical portion of the install (and the hose clamp kink fix):
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Lame.

Finally got around to plumbing in the EBC and pressure sensor to test it out, and it just gives me wastegate boost. Haven't gotten it to actually control boost yet. I suspect this unit may be inoperative, but as I purchased it such a long time ago there's not much I can do about it. Lame.

Gonna plan to get the car back into my garage and run through some troubleshooting steps, confirm wiring and see if any control signal / pulse width is making it to the solenoid at all. Perhaps it's a dead solenoid, I suppose if I can't make it click on the bench with +5v I should look into a replacement. Hmm... wonder if the stock BCS would work with the EBC? Probably not worth the trouble....
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The stock EBC might. All it is, is a solenoid. If you have adjustability of the solenoid you should be able to control things. You may want to measure the resistance of the two solenoids to see how close they are to each other.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT