Quick sanity check WRX brake upgrade

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Ghost
First Gear

Quick sanity check WRX brake upgrade

Post by Ghost »

I have a 91 SS

In the front I am going to be putting on grey overseas 4 pots. Can I run DBA 4650 rotors? They were recomended for 06-07 but I wasn't sure if things like our ABS sensors would clear or not.

In the back I was going to go with some WRX single pisons, and use the stock rotors off an 06-07. Will the orginal 91 SS parking brake work with those rotors?
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Quick sanity check WRX brake upgrade

Post by SILINC3R »

Stick with the SS rears. The SS rotors are vented the WRX are not.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

06-07 WRX had vented rotors too. Those are the ones that came with the 4pot/2pot brakes.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Ghost
First Gear

Post by Ghost »

SILINC3R wrote:Stick with the SS rears. The SS rotors are vented the WRX are not.
Say I stayed with the SS rears. Can I use WRX single piston pads?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Ghost wrote:
SILINC3R wrote:Stick with the SS rears. The SS rotors are vented the WRX are not.
Check out Jamal's excellent Compiled Brake Information thread, findable in the sticky in this forum. I linked it here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=36289 - look towards the bottom of the 1st posting where he has the brake pad type by year. The SS uses the same pads as N/A for that year range, and there are two different pads shapes for WRX (early 02's, vs the rest).

Wrx 1-pot brakes are a downgrade for your car.

One thing I thought about doing, but never did, was run 05+ LGT rear brakes. You keep your parking brake, while having the same larger ventilated rotor as the rear 2-pot setup. Extra bonus is front wrx 2-pots and those rears + fit any subaru 16" wheels, unlike the 4/pot fronts.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Ghost
First Gear

Post by Ghost »

mike-tracy wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Check out Jamal's excellent Compiled Brake Information thread, findable in the sticky in this forum. I linked it here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=36289 - look towards the bottom of the 1st posting where he has the brake pad type by year. The SS uses the same pads as N/A for that year range, and there are two different pads shapes for WRX (early 02's, vs the rest).

Wrx 1-pot brakes are a downgrade for your car.

One thing I thought about doing, but never did, was run 05+ LGT rear brakes. You keep your parking brake, while having the same larger ventilated rotor as the rear 2-pot setup. Extra bonus is front wrx 2-pots and those rears + fit any subaru 16" wheels, unlike the 4/pot fronts.
The last thing you suggest is what I was actually going for. So LGT calipers, and WRX 06-07 rotors?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

05+ lgt calipers and 05+ lgt/06-07 WRX rotors, yes.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.