Front mount VS TOP mount

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Front mount VS TOP mount

Post by aaronllewellyn »

General opinions

Is it worth it to go FMIC, cut the body and route the piping, can it all be accomplished without welding, silicone connectors and T clamps. are there Subaru specific kits that fit appropriately to a non-inter-cooled ej22t

Or is top mount the way to go, it seems much easier to install, less "cool" factor more of that sleeper look.

For a future setup, I'm thinking ej22t, TD05H-16, 550cc injectors, some sort of aftermarket engine
management, Wide band gauge. 3" turboback with 3" downpipe. What kind of power numbers can you expect form that kind of setup.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Re: Front mount VS TOP mount

Post by robertpaige »

TMIC will be fine for your future setup and it is not hard to install. It also will give you more of a sleeper look. Though if you add anything more, I would probably suggest a FMIC. On eBay you can buy a GC Impreza FMIC kit, the piping included in that pretty much lines up without much modification to fit our cars.

Numbers for that setup depend on the tune, but if you went with a base tune on a RobTune ECU, you're looking at around 260awhp at 18psi. RobTube is pretty cool and easy to install and use. Also much cheaper than a standalone. But a standalone ECU like Hydra, Link, or Megasquirt will warrant higher numbers, allowing you to tune more aggressively with bigger injectors, probably achieving around 300ish.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Post by beaconhillkilla »

^^ exactly. a FMIC is okay..but think about it really hard before you do it.
1992 Legacy SS - Auto to 5MT swap and too much of my free time.
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

A front mount requres alot of work and should only be done if your shooting for some good high numbers or are just dedicated enough to build one your self. the kits online for the 2.5 RS might fit "ok" but if you really want it to look good and not have 900 couplers, take the time to make it your self. These cars have very little to ZERO after market support so no there is no kit that is made specifically for these cars. These cars are not for the faint of heart when it comes to modifying because you actually have to use your brain and think how your going to make it work or how your going to build it OR what parts of the impreza line fit. which to me is awesome, makes you unique and not fallowing the typical crowd that would rather just buy crap off the shelf cause its "easier" that way. instead of saying I installed that or bought it. you can say "I built that". and to me, thats worth more then its weight in gold by far because you can be proud of your work and not everyone can say something like that..

that's my two cents, take it for what is worth to you.

Andy
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I used a greddy kit from an 02 wrx. Made one cut and flipped a pip in a different direction. cut 1 hole by the BCS for it to go thru.

This was late 2008 early 2009.

I have since changed it because the cold pipe wouldn't work with my dohc heads and coolant overflow tank.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Post by beaconhillkilla »

92ss satinsvoice wrote:instead of saying I installed that or bought it. you can say "I built that". and to me, thats worth more then its weight in gold by far because you can be proud of your work and not everyone can say something like that..
Ahh, the exact reason why I labored for so many days (weeks?) over getting my damn FMIC to work properly. For my td04 its more or less useless, but nobody has to know!!
1992 Legacy SS - Auto to 5MT swap and too much of my free time.