Replcaing Tires: All or one at a time?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

davew833
In Neutral

Replcaing Tires: All or one at a time?

Post by davew833 »

I recently got a '92 Legacy SS 4wd Automatic 4wd that needs tires. Having owned later model Legacys '96, '97, '98 04, I'm aware of the recommendation to replace all tires at once and ensure that the diameter is within 1/4", or whatever the manual says, for the longevity of the 4EAT auto transmission.

Does this apply to my '92 SS as well, or is the auto transmission in that a little less picky about tire diameter?
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Replcaing Tires: All or one at a time?

Post by James614 »

I can tell you first-hand that the 4EAT doesn't like unevenly worn tires, though I haven't actually read the section about it in the owner's manual. But if it's really bad (like 1 tire showing wear bars, the others at 80%) you will feel mild binding in tight corners, and I swear I could even feel it drag occasionally driving straight but that's hard to tell.

That said, you won't wear out your center clutch pack by mistake of running it like that a few times. Just don't do it like that for months at a time.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

Yes the tire size difference requirements apply to the 92 Legacy SS. You should replace all four tires at once.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
volny
First Gear

Post by volny »

I have had a flat a few months ago and now running 195/65/14 in the rear and my spares 185/65/14 on the front end. Tire calculator say that because of different width the overall diameter is different.

I have been wondering if it would damage the car, I actually measured the circumference and there's about 3 inches difference between the front and the rear.

Sorry for hijacking this tread and asking something that has been asked a million times before in a million different ways!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Replacing Tires: All or one at a time?

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, that is too large of a difference in circumference. Is your transmission a MT or AT? If AT, you could put a fuse in the FWD fuse holder to disable the AWD until you get tires that match and have a closer circumference.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
volny
First Gear

Post by volny »

Ha nice tip!

It's mt. Thanks!! I am going to order a new replacement tire. old thread not to bad should be okay to keep the old ones. It took 2 month for the store to get the tire as it was back ordered...
LegacyW90
In Neutral

Re: Replacing Tires: All or one at a time?

Post by LegacyW90 »

Legacy777 wrote:Yes, that is too large of a difference in circumference. Is your transmission a MT or AT? If AT, you could put a fuse in the FWD fuse holder to disable the AWD until you get tires that match and have a closer circumference.
Just curious, how is that supposed to work when the driveshaft goes from the transmission all the way to the rear diff and what not......a fuse isn't gonna change the fact that the engine produces torque and transfers that to the diff/transmission/ then the rear diff all at the same time......I'm confused I guess.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The AT doesn't have a center differential. It uses an electrohydrualic clutch that engages/disengages to drive the rear wheels. Putting the fuse in the FWD slot causes it to remain disengaged.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.