auto paint info needed

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

pooh
In Neutral

auto paint info needed

Post by pooh »

Getting ready to paint my 93 and was wondering what the best type and reasonable paint to use Thanks
beefwagon
In Neutral

Re: auto paint info needed

Post by beefwagon »

hey are you painting the whole car or just parts? I have been slowly painting parts that i replace for the sake of rust prevention and using parts store ceramic engine paint and it seems to be the most durable of anything i found. Its in rttle cans so i wouldnt do the whole car. Honestly the easiest solution is do all the prep work yourself and bring it to maaco. I know you probably want to keep it cheap but by the time you buy a couple of expensive containers of quality car paint you will spend about the same to have them do it in a pro paint booth. They have specials all the time. the last one i did was around 200 bucks for the whole car. Just make sure to prep everything very well(sand remove rust, etc.) Also get a can of rustoleum primer and prime any really bad spots. Good luck!
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Good quality auto paint is expensive, and it depends on how long your going to keep it and your environment. Mine I striped it down and put epoxy primer down, that's to keep the rust down. Then a good filler primer 3-4 good coats, and long block it. Anything in a rattle can is crap and not very durable. Just remember that your prep work is the most important part of a paint job. I painted professionally for years in Alaska and still do my own,my car I have $1500-$2000 in paint and a ton of time blocking by hand. It been three years now and still look flawless.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
pooh
In Neutral

Post by pooh »

I am having the body stripped, primered and painted, but was wondering what good paint would last without costing an arm and a leg. L:ike a happy medium paint
pooh
In Neutral

Post by pooh »

There is no major dents or any rust, just door dings from other peoples cars. So not much body work
scoobylover57
First Gear

Post by scoobylover57 »

There is no happy medium with auto paint. Its all expensive or more expensive. A gallon of color will be about $700-$1300 depending on the color and which paint line you choose. Clear coat you can spend $100-$600 on a gallon and the hardners and reducers to go with it. I definitely had about $2000 in material when I painted my car. Its not cheap.
-Nick-
91 lsi with ej22t swap. work in progress. Sold.
92 SS 5spd. stock. Sold.
94 TW. 6 spd. V2 sti ra ej20g. 550's. rob tune.
94 SS 5spd. stock